Author Topic: Stock length on Marlin 45-70  (Read 3405 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stock length on Marlin 45-70
« on: November 12, 2017, 08:03:25 PM »
OK - it ain't a buffler gun per se, but it's chambered in a buffler rifle calibre.

It's a [JM] model in /as new' condition', but it was too long in the stock for me. As a result, I kept flinging my fingers out of the lever loop on the forward motion.  Had a 'smith lop of a full inch to a 13" LOP and now it feels like "MY" rifle!

All my other CAS rifles (including my Browning '86) have 13" LOP. Seems to be the magic number in Cowboy guns. Odd, since I am quite comfortable with a 14" LOP on my trap guns.

At the same time, I had the stock on my '97 shortened to 13" LOP and now it also feels much better. Whatever works .....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Stock length on Marlin 45-70
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 11:26:47 AM »
PJ:  I'm pleased to hear that you have the rifle better suiting you now.  My problem with lop is exactly opposite.  I end up having to restock all my lever guns, including my '87 Winchester 12 gauge, in order to get a pull length that suits a guy at 6' 2".  But more than the lop, it's the excessive drop at the comb that makes it tough to shoot lever guns.  I add at least 3/8" to the comb line to get at least a face touch on the wood, if not a cheek weld.  I must be a long necked goose.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:48:51 AM »
Generally, peope are better able to adapt to a short LOP of pull as opposed to the opposite. Witness the too short butt stocks on US service rifles for example, a one size fits no one proposition.

First thing you learn when shooting a Springfield '03 or M1 Garand is to keep your thumb alongside the stock to avoid a bump on the nose.

Operating a rifle with a too long LOP is awkward and makes it difficult to do so quickly.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:27:08 AM »

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 08:04:15 PM »
I find there's more to fit than LOP.  Drop at the heel and comb play an enormous part in being able to shoot a rifle well.  If a rifle has a short LOP, ie:  13 1/2", but a straight comb line with only a couple of inches drop at the heel, I can shoot it.  But none of the Winchester lever guns including the 1886 Browning have the proportions I need.  So I end up restocking them all, eventually.  BTW, I like 13 1/2" LOP.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com