Author Topic: Sideplate removal 1860 Uberti Henry  (Read 4386 times)

Offline Isom

• Deputy Marshal
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Sideplate removal 1860 Uberti Henry
« on: November 08, 2017, 02:41:01 PM »
Is there a "proper" way to remove the sideplates on a Henry ? I've heard tap up ,,,,, tap down. Which way is correct, or does it matter ?
Thanks,
Isom

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Sideplate removal 1860 Uberti Henry
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 04:48:16 PM »
YES!!!   er    NO!!    Er ..... Well actually, most of the time Uberti doesn't do well at fitting the 1860 Henry Side Plates.  99% of the time, the Side Plates are WAY too tight and rather than sliding out, must be driven out.  EXTREME CARE must be taken.  You will need a nylon or hard (very) rubber mallet.  There is often a very slight taper of the dovetails, top to bottom.  Start at the bottom.  Drive the side plate UP, Whacking in alternating front/back/front/back.  Once out, if you have the correct tools/skills, it should be "final fit" so it can be removed with finger pressure only.

Speaking of fingers.  The edges ALL FOUR of Uberti Henry Side Plates are RAZOR SHARP.  They will HURT you.  be EXTREMELY careful when removing/installing Henry side plates.

To re-install the Site plates, start them in the dovetail carefully, then alternate front/back/front/back again with the mallet, now from THE TOP until the the edges are aligned and smooth.

When going through this process the first few times, you will learn some new words.  Unprintable words.  This is normal.  You may will speak those new words loud enough for your neighbors to hear you.  This is also normal.  You will be most happy if you have remembered your fresh new box of BandAids.  ;D

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 10:59:35 PM »
YES!!!   er    NO!!    Er ..... Well actually, most of the time Uberti doesn't do well at fitting the 1860 Henry Side Plates.  99% of the time, the Side Plates are WAY too tight and rather than sliding out, must be driven out.  EXTREME CARE must be taken.  You will need a nylon or hard (very) rubber mallet.  There is often a very slight taper of the dovetails, top to bottom.  Start at the bottom.  Drive the side plate UP, Whacking in alternating front/back/front/back.  Once out, if you have the correct tools/skills, it should be "final fit" so it can be removed with finger pressure only.

Speaking of fingers.  The edges ALL FOUR of Uberti Henry Side Plates are RAZOR SHARP.  They will HURT you.  be EXTREMELY careful when removing/installing Henry side plates.

To re-install the Site plates, start them in the dovetail carefully, then alternate front/back/front/back again with the mallet, now from THE TOP until the the edges are aligned and smooth.

When going through this process the first few times, you will learn some new words.  Unprintable words.  This is normal.  You may will speak those new words loud enough for your neighbors to hear you.  This is also normal.  You will be most happy if you have remembered your fresh new box of BandAids.  ;D

Old CM speaks the truth.  I have cut myself more than once on 1860 and 1866 sideplates, even knowing better!.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:50:52 PM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 08:30:03 AM »
I have scars fro Henrys and '66s by trying to do something without heeding the warning of others.

Come to think of it, I have lot of scars from almost everything I've ever done.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Isom

• Deputy Marshal
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 01:51:25 PM »
Thanks for all the info, very helpful.
Isom

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 04:27:19 PM »
I have one apart right now(a 66 that is) and can verify how sharp those sideplates can be. Another 66 from a couple of weeks ago( that was getting an annual cleaning) was even worse.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 05:31:49 PM »

Six

Remember that nice new box of fresh new BandAids??  Swell investment it is.  ::)

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 03:47:25 PM »
Thanks, Coffinmaker! I bought the bandaids just in time as I really did cut myself today  >:( on those darn sideplates during final re-assembly of the 66.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 04:54:33 PM »
My 1860 Uberti must have been defective as it was quite easy to take the side plate off  ;D  however, the edges were very sharp. I was lucky enough to read about it before hand and managed to get it back on with all my fingers still attached to my hand, no cuts even.
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com