Author Topic: Quite!-Quite!-Quite!!!  (Read 11870 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Quite!-Quite!-Quite!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 01:55:20 PM »
Thank 's and I'll tell him Steve .  ,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 09:45:59 AM »
Hey Slamfire are you getting any progress made with the .406 bullets ? It's been cold enough for some casting , so I plan on casting some Winchester bullet .45 cal. and .50 cal. bullets . The 45/60 parts gun shoots the original 350 gr. bullet for 45/75wcf  good and I'm hoping I can start doing some shooting with my 45/75 Extra Heavy barrel rifle soon so I will be needing plenty of them . I was lucky enough that one of my friends made it possible for me to purchase an original 50 Express bullet mould and tong tool for the 50/95wcf . I hope the original 50 cal. bullets shoot as good as the JIM50300 cal. bullet. I popped the steel ringer at camp with the flatpoint 300 gr . Jim bullet and 84 gr. of 2ff Swiss Bp. The Grandboys couldn't get over how many times that ringer disc would go around when hit with the 50 EX . They thought that was funny . One afternoon hunt with them along I popped a meat deer 125 lb. Wt. in the chest at about 60yd. with  the 50 EX , and that load mentioned , they saw first hand what a stopping round like the 50 EX can do . They were impressed to say the least ! ,,DT

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 11:45:44 AM »
YO !! Dusty PM sent.

Hootmix.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:53:59 AM »

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 12:21:11 PM »
Got it Pard ! ,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2018, 05:02:22 PM »
My friend Slamfire sent me some of his .40 cal. cast bullets , they look great Pard. I have an original 76 40/60 wcf that is a genuine tack driver  they will be tested in this rifle . Will report back with results . Thanks again Pard,,,,,,,DT 

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 07:34:48 AM »
cool weather = casting bullets today. Will be casting from original Winchester moulds , bullets for the 45/60 300 gr. Bullets for the 45/75 350 gr. and the .50 Ex. weight ? will soon know . Have had trouble getting the 45/60 carbine parts gun to shoot the bullets from my two different 45/60 original Winchester mould, will change the mix a bit and try a harder bullet . The little parts gun shoots the bullet out of the 45/75 mould great @ 350. gr.  For some reason I want to find a hardness  or powder charge  or a combination of both that shoots well in this gun. May try a buffer of some kind ,  between bullet and powder .I have had this make a bullet shoot well with other loads in the past by using a patch of cotton cloth / denim as a buffer / gas check. The journey is most of the fun ! ,,,DT 

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 08:00:06 AM »
Sure, I'll take a hunderd of the 350's. Thanks.  ;)
King Medallion

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 08:56:59 PM »
Mr. Dusty,

I have posted before about using the ballistic filler called Puff-Lon.  Here is a link to their site:
http://www.pufflon.com/newfront.html
I have had good luck with this stuff,  course others millage may vary!  Am looking forward to moderating weather to get out
and burn a little powder myself.  keep us posted on how things go!  Reading here on others adventures sure helps
when i can't get out myself!!

P.B.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2018, 07:05:55 AM »
Sure, I'll take a hunderd of the 350's. Thanks.  ;)
  Get on down here in April /May for a hog hunt and you can bring them home with you . ,,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2018, 07:11:34 AM »
Mr. Dusty,

I have posted before about using the ballistic filler called Puff-Lon.  Here is a link to their site:
http://www.pufflon.com/newfront.html
I have had good luck with this stuff,  course others millage may vary!  Am looking forward to moderating weather to get out
and burn a little powder myself.  keep us posted on how things go!  Reading here on others adventures sure helps
when i can't get out myself!!       Mr. Pinto Beans , Thanks for the tip. I may give the Puff-Lon a try . Hope you get to do some shooting soon , Amigo ! ,,,DT

P.B.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2018, 12:22:05 PM »
 Don't know about the rest of y'a but " keep'n your power dry " can only be done around here if your staying inside ,,the rainy season is "HERE" and if something don't show up here....well i'll just have to answer " myself"..( yep ,, talk to myself ...a..lot ) creepy quite !!

anyway's coffee's ready,,,,Hootmix.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018, 05:18:21 PM »
Rain is right Slamfire to much here on the coast and not near enough out west . Been here on the coast a wk . or so heading back out west in a few days . Have so much work to do at every place I cant see any light . Did load the .406 bullets you sent . Will try them in my favorite 40/60 , AKA (hog killer) ! Spent enough time in the shop to install the new Extra Heavy 45/75 barrel and just about finished fitting the new wood . All looks good so far .  Winchester barrels , did me a great job again . Hope to take some time for shooting this trip . Last time up to my ears in water well repairs .  c'est la vie    ,,,DT

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2018, 07:43:53 PM »
 YEA I hear y'a " don't mind the mule ..just load the wagon". Picked-up about 46# pure lead today,,suppose to go back that way in a few days looks like another 25-40 lbs. clean scrap..need tin & antimony . Thinking about mak'n a john boat out of LEAD,,it may not float,,,,but don't think it will wash away (ha-ha-ha-ha-) .

Good to hear from y'a DT.

smoke'm if y'a got'm,,,,Hootmix.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2018, 06:05:27 AM »
Good you are getting stocked-up on lead ! Will not wash away, wouldn't count on it !,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2018, 04:56:43 PM »
Good you are getting stocked-up on lead ! Will not wash away, wouldn't count on it !,,,DT

Dusty and Slamfire
Have you fellers had any problems with "copperised" lead sheet ???  Can see it shimmer on the top of the melt pot fist time round - hope I am getting it out with the fluxing .
Greyhawk

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2018, 06:10:51 PM »
Greyhawk not sure if I have any in my lead or not ? I have a small supply of industrial lead pipe heavy wall stuff . When I melt I always have to skim the lead , and I do flux with wax , and skim some more . Have been using wheel weights some lately , that stuff is plenty dirty , but makes decent bullets .  ,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2018, 04:36:06 AM »
Greyhawk not sure if I have any in my lead or not ? I have a small supply of industrial lead pipe heavy wall stuff . When I melt I always have to skim the lead , and I do flux with wax , and skim some more . Have been using wheel weights some lately , that stuff is plenty dirty , but makes decent bullets .  ,,,DT

Dusty
I had some unused lead sheeting a mate scrounged for me years ago - had this funny look to it then partway in I came to this label said "copperised" - seems like it fluxes out ok - I stir and flux this stuff some extra .
Have been using sawdust to flux the ingot melt of late - read about that somewhere here I think (or on Cast boolits forum) - never woulda thought to do that but whoever wrote it up put a good argument with some science and it seems like it works - better I think- and not near so smokey (or the smokey is not as obnoxious) as using wax - I cast with a dipper out of a good size open pot and use wax to flux when I am running boolits. Got 250 pound of clean ingots cheap a while back - very close to my preferred boolit alloy - on top of what we had stashed things not lookin too bad on the lead front - but getting pure lead for the muzzleloaders is always a priority. Dont forget to tell us how that heavy barrel 76 goes - that is gonna be real interesting - your very own "one of one thousand" - good luck with it.
Greyhawk     

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2018, 08:48:35 AM »
 Greyhawk  cked over on castboolits...the copper adds "TIN" makes bullets harder,,"Flux stir back into mix"..also may have temp to hot. I have had my mix turn coppery if my temp is to high..add more pure lead or reduce heat range.
  At this time I have about 15-18 moulds for muzzle loaders ( I don't do BP ) both Rd. & conical ...need some give me a PM.

smoke'm if y'a got'm,,,,Hootmix.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2018, 07:04:23 PM »
Do you have anything in the .700 cal range  or .55 cal.?,,,, DT

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2018, 11:49:16 AM »
  Hey o'l son.. .700 that is in the mortar range ,,sorry just used my last one,,shoot'n at a " crow " ( lol) do have .535 rb DC...SC .540 415gr. HB-M ,,,if can help just holler.

smok'm if y'a got'm,,,,Hootmix.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com