Author Topic: Schofield over rotating  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Cody Bill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Schofield over rotating
« on: November 06, 2017, 09:00:42 AM »
Posted this awhile back in another forum thought I'd try again here. I have a uberti schofield that sporadically overrotates.  I changed the bolt spring and that didn't help. Has anyone had this issue before or know what the problem could be. Or know of a good smith who knows his way around schofields. Thanks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Schofield over rotating
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »

Need to look real hard at the bolt.  First, it needs to rise fare enough to FULLY engage the cylinder notches.  Then check that the bolt head actually fits the cylinder notches.  The Bolt needs to seat easily.  The trailing edge of the bolt head needs lightly eased to slide into the cylinder notches.

Next take a good look at the hand.  With the bolt out of the gun, does the hand continue to push the cylinder well past the lock-up point??

Offline Cody Bill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 11:02:23 AM »
Thanks Coffinmaker. I'll check those things like you suggest. But If that's were the problem is I'll proabally leave the work up to a smith.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:39:27 PM »

llanerosolitario

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 04:06:21 PM »
it might also be a late  bolt release....the cylnder gains speed and rotates  freely too much time, too quickly. Esay to correct with care , thougth just a mistake of half a millimeter and we can spoil the bolt,

if the bolt release takes place just a few degrees before full cock, we can have that problem in old Smiths and Colts and in other old type revolvers. Not in vane, Lefaucheux revolvers included a spring in the axis to slow down the cylinder preventing  so over rotation.

http://apk-dl.com/lefaucheux-pinfire-revolver/

The  problem does not take place in modern  double action revolvers as the cylinder never rotates freely...it is pushed in the front of the extractor in Smiths and from behind in Colts, that is why very rarely overotate, even with very strictly timed bolts.

the hand spring also helps to prevent the cilinder from gaining too much speed and should be checked, besides all other possibilities mentioned by experts above.

note: I solved today "an ocássional" over rotation priblem in my Uberti by bending the hand spring to gain tension....as a result it makes the cilinder move  a bit more forced an slower....so it is allways on time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com