Author Topic: Remington M1879 Argentine "Patria"  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Remington M1879 Argentine "Patria"
« on: November 15, 2017, 06:01:09 PM »
Everyone ought to have a Rolling block, right?
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Remington M1879 Argentine "Patria"
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 08:36:10 PM »
I "sporterized" mine - cut 6" off the barrel, shaped the stock along the lies of a Trapdoor carbine. Looks good and shoots even better.
Really deserves a tang sight.

The .43 Spanish round is the ballistic twin of the 44-77 Sharps BN. Venturino says he can't understand the need for re-inventing the wheel.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 05:46:19 PM »
Its stranger than that!  Side by side evolution:  In 1868, the Remington trialed for the Spanish army.  The trials rifles were chambered in .42 Berdan!  (George Laymans "Remington Rolling Block Military Rifles of the World).  The Spanish selected the Remington, but asked it to be changed to .43 caliber, thus creating the .43 Spanish.  (Why?  Layman says they liked the bullet used in the Chassepot paper cartridge, though the Chassepot itself finished last in their trials.)

At the same time the Sharps rifle Co were preparing their new (sorta) Cartridge rifle of 1869.  (what would eventually become known as the Sharps 1874)   To introduce a new Cartridge with it, they took the .42 Berdan, and loaded it with a .44 caliber bullet (sorta).  This became the .44-77.  (having been told that the minimum cartridge needed for Buffalo was a .44.)

The Sharps became the dominant rifle on the Buffalo plains, thus Remington shrugged, and made .44 barrels for their domestic  customers.  Meanwhile nearly 1.5 million .43 Spanish rifles headed overseas.

But the root cartridge for all this would be the .42 Berdan, to be adopted as is in 1870 by the Russian empire.  It also pretty much puts to rest that Gorloff had anything to do with the cartridge itself,  Berdan had it ready long before the Russians came calling.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:06:56 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 03:14:13 PM »
I've yet to take game with my .43 Espagnol but it would surely be up to the job.

I've got both a 375 gr and a 420 gr bullet mould. Both shoot well despite the long jump to the rifling for the 375 gr.

RBs are easy to get a light trigger pull. Just feather the trigger spring. Tip from the late Jim Higginbotham(?) of Lone Star Rifles when I was considering one of his rifles. I told him about the .43 I was considering annd he said - "Buy it!"

He also recommended the 50-70 as the best all round BPC for hunting. Less recoil with the same bullet weight and powder charge as a 45-70. He was right. My 50-70 Shiloh Military Rifle has taken two large black bears for me and a nice 6 pt Mule deer.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 05:53:16 PM »
Yep, one of these days I'd really like to get a good .50-70 carbine.  I cannot think of a better BPC woods gun than that!

This one was badly labeled on Gunbroker, dropped a minimum bid and got it.  Mostly because I believe it was rebarrelled in the 1890s when rearsenaled, the bore is like new,  with sharp edges on the knoxform and a deep proud edged barrel stamp you can feel running your finger over it. 

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 07:06:07 PM »
Amen on the 50-70 carbine! I've got a Shiloh 50-70 carbine. Companion piece for my Shiloh '63 SRC in .50 calibre. On advice from Kirk Bryant I ordered it with a 24" barrel for a little more velocity and better balance. It's still shorter than my H&R Trapdoor carbine.

According to Sellers, carbines were offered with up to 26" barrels.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 07:32:40 PM »
.50-70 carbines are cool!  I built an 1870 Trapdoor Carbine out of a buggered up rifle, and it's a hoot!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com