Author Topic: Turkey time so stuff it.  (Read 57803 times)

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Turkey time so stuff it.
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2017, 08:39:54 AM »
Got your rodents mixed up, Bill Murray tried to blow up a gopher, like 40 did.  Bill drove the groundhog/woodchuck off a cliff.
Tomato/ Tomato, they is just overgrown rats ;)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: November 16, 2017, 09:14:17 AM »
Tomato/ Tomato, they is just overgrown rats ;)

Yep, like most have the facts wrong and pass it off as unimportant rather than own up to it.

From my vast files with permission of the author:

37 years ago we bought this house and put in a lawn right off.  Within a few weeks I had gophers. EVERYBODY for miles around had gophers.  We tried everything we could think of, flooding their burrows, gas, noise makers, poisons, smoke, you name it. 

At the time I was still in the Marine Corps and working part time for The Flintlock gun shop in Anaheim and had a goodly supply of Gearhart-Owens black powder... including a brand new unopened can of FFFFg (that's 4F for you counting-challenged yokels.)

I waited until the ground had dried for a week or so, and on a fine Saturday morning I filled all the holes I could find, and set my plan in motion.  I ran a string of powder about a yard long (NOT LONG ENOUGH) and as big around as a pencil away from the hole and poured the rest in.  I just poured it in loose, not in any way compacted.

I made sure everyone was back and touched my cigarette to the "fuse line".  It took nicely and ran right down that hole.

I don't remember any sound at all, but it suddenly felt like someone had hit me on the soles of my feet with a baseball bat, (NOTE: Louisville Sluggers are made about a mile from my house.), a huge column of white, black, and orange shot up almost in slow motion, and a thought ran through my mind, "MY GOD, that's right over my water main".

I picked my self up from flat on my back and did a quick survey.  No one seemed to be hurt but my kids and a couple of neighbors were laughing hysterically.  Some others were coming outdoors to see what had happened.  My hair was singed, my t-shirt full of little holes, and I had no eyebrows.  My plastic USMC glasses were pitted and bent.  Smoke was pouring form a hole the size of a large wash tub and the yard was littered with dirt and rock.

Half an hour later my across the street neighbor came over with a huge divot of sod and handed it to me with "I think this might be yours" before walking away.  He still lives there and we're still friends.

No other damage was done, no windows broken, my water main is still intact after 37 years, and no one called the fire department or the police.  Of course the neighbors wouldn't let their kids out if I was in the yard and several moved away within a year or less.

BUT!!!

There are no gophers in my yard and none in the entire neighborhood, and haven't been since that Saturday in 1978 when I declared war on them.

After all my experience I learned several things:

1. 3 feet of powder train isn't enough.

2. 1 full pound is likely overkill.

3. Black powder doesn't have to be compacted, merely somewhat confined, to explode

4. Some neighbors can be very forgiving.

5.  The shakes go away after a couple of days, but your hearing is never the same again.

6. Local Fire Marshals who hear about things through the grapevine can have a wonderful sense of humor.  (RIP Dave.)

7. Experience is a wonderful teacher... if you survive.

8. The damnedest things can get you a great reputation.

9. Some things are funny no matter what, but see #5 above.

10.Pobody's nerfect.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #142 on: November 16, 2017, 09:28:28 AM »
Got your rodents mixed up, Bill Murray tried to blow up a gopher, like 40 did.  Bill drove the groundhog/woodchuck off a cliff.

Vermin is vermin no matter what name some scientist give them. We have a few ground hogs "wood chucks" around here don't see many, we do have the walking oysters on a half shell though.  They are a extreme nuciance.

Coffee is up!

Going to do a little grocery shopping this morning. 
Our annual make 10 gallons of stuffing/dressing is coming up.
Mathew 5.9

Advertising

« Reply #143 on: Today at 07:34:28 PM »

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: November 16, 2017, 11:19:11 AM »
I have a limbsaver butt pad on one of my shotguns.  A couple years back it got something on it that is extremely sticky. Like sticks to anything it touches, comes in contact with. A week or so ago i mentioned the expensive mineral spirits. I have given it a good cleaning with it twice now. The stickiness is still there. I have no clue what it is. I don't want to spend $40 bucks for another one then have to grind it down, but may have to. Any ideals on how to remove it?

Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: November 16, 2017, 12:55:12 PM »
Did you try rubbing alchol?
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #145 on: November 16, 2017, 02:33:56 PM »
Afternoon all.

We got some sun, but there's a cold wind from the north and clouds are building.  Looks like white stuff on the ground in town tonight.  In other words, everyone is going to fall in a ditch. ::)

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: November 16, 2017, 03:36:13 PM »
I have a limbsaver butt pad on one of my shotguns.  A couple years back it got something on it that is extremely sticky. Like sticks to anything it touches, comes in contact with. A week or so ago i mentioned the expensive mineral spirits. I have given it a good cleaning with it twice now. The stickiness is still there. I have no clue what it is. I don't want to spend $40 bucks for another one then have to grind it down, but may have to. Any ideals on how to remove it?

If all else fails, try gluing a piece of leather over it?

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2017, 05:06:13 PM »
The clouds got here.  Naturally as I was three miles from home, on foot.  I just got home, and am sitting on the couch drinking some coffee as I watch the slush fall from the sky.  At least the dog is happy, right?

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2017, 06:54:58 PM »
If all else fails, try gluing a piece of leather over it?

Awe --this might be a good option. Maybe a piece of deerhide
Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2017, 07:13:01 PM »
On break at work,  might be Grandpa again before I get off.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #150 on: November 17, 2017, 05:51:46 AM »
Help with some reading !?
I've always liked to read westerns - used to kind of devour them when younger - have a copy of "The Hell Bent Kid"saved from when I was a teenager - so hoping someone might remember this next one - I read a story in high school dont remember all the details and I bet it was a book I borrowed from a friend - core story was about a guy got himself tangled up in a long distance chase on a blood bred mare called - Molly Malone - the bad guys rode relay and wore him down in the end - he burnt up a mustang pony along the way  several hundred miles of chase and I think he quit at the end rather than kill the mare running her -- if any old timers can remember this story and point me to the title would be much appreciated.
Greyhawk 

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #151 on: November 17, 2017, 07:07:26 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee is hot.

'Tis 31 and overcast. "Cloudy. A slight chance of light snow...Drizzle and freezing drizzle in the morning  then light rain in the afternoon. No snow accumulation. Highs in the upper 30s. South wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent."

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: November 17, 2017, 07:15:01 AM »
Delmonico yes i have and congradulations.

Greyhawk no help in book... sounds though alot like the movie Hildago.

Slim Thank you  for the coffee ☕️

It is my Monday
Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2017, 01:11:56 PM »
Still waiting, she's being slow like her aunt was.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2017, 08:13:19 PM »
Evening all.  I got a blackberry cobbler for those who are interested, being as it's Friday.

Tried to track down a flock of wild turkeys today, but no luck.  Followed them for about three miles before the sun started to go away.  Saw a number of squirrels, doves, and a flock of quail, but all I had was my expensive "California special"
all copper shotshells.  1/2 ounce of #5, but the same number of pellets as 1 1/4 ounce of lead, theoretically.  I haven't counted.  Tomorrow when I go back out I'll bring some #7 shot. ;)

--TK

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #155 on: November 17, 2017, 10:32:18 PM »
Delmonico yes i have and congradulations.

Greyhawk no help in book... sounds though alot like the movie Hildago.

Nope - but its kinda parallel - I liked Hildago but at the same time it wasnt a very plausible story - the one I amm after was a chase in the southwest someplace new mexico arizona - our hero had offended some bad guys and they ran him down over several days and many hundred miles - ran him in relays till he burnt his horses out - lot of focus on this Molly Malone mare - maybe that was me ? it was a long time ago .
thanks for the reply

It is my Monday

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2017, 10:34:35 PM »
Cobbler is always good...

TK have you tried calling the gobblers.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: November 18, 2017, 01:28:29 AM »
Robin Marie Jaquez was born at 2:42 pm.  5 pounds 2 oz.  Mom and baby are doing fine.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2017, 05:40:15 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee is hot.

Robin Marie Jaquez was born at 2:42 pm.  5 pounds 2 oz.  Mom and baby are doing fine.
Congrats, Gramps.  ;)

'Tis 34 and overcast. "Cloudy with a chance of light snow...Drizzle and freezing drizzle in the morning  then partly sunny in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 30s. North wind 10 to 20 mph with gusts to around 30 mph. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.'

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #159 on: November 18, 2017, 05:58:51 AM »
Congratulations to Delmonico and family!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com