Author Topic: Turkey time so stuff it.  (Read 57191 times)

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: Turkey time so stuff it.
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2017, 04:52:05 PM »
Afternoon all.

Sunny most of the day today, though the clouds started coming back in about an hour ago.   Just got back from a walk with the dog, and watching a goshawk and golden eagle fight.  That was interesting. 

Got bread rolls rising next to the fire right now, going to bake those up in a while and eat them with some beans we canned earlier this year.  Should make a pretty good meal.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #121 on: November 14, 2017, 05:16:33 PM »
Missouri hunter bags 39-point buck after four years of trying
http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/2017/11/14/missouri-hunter-bags-39-point-buck-after-four-years-trying.html

They are talking about wasting disease in the Deer in Minnesota/ Wisconsin - do you fellers worry about that - is it real or just some greenie instigated story? 

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2017, 07:19:55 PM »
They are talking about wasting disease in the Deer in Minnesota/ Wisconsin - do you fellers worry about that - is it real or just some greenie instigated story? 

Greenie caused in many cases, overpopulation and nature taking over.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #123 on: Today at 12:34:04 PM »

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2017, 08:20:07 PM »
Greenie caused in many cases, overpopulation and nature taking over.

When this reared its head in the cattle business a decade or so ago (longer I spose) there was an english bloke had it figured to be connected with changes in mineral fertility in the forests - excess manganese uptake because of removal of potassium and increase in soil acidity so the second growth forests go all out of kilter and the animals get too much manganese - then manganese and copper imbalance in the animal encourages the prion that is the cause of the CWD to develop - it all made a lot of sense to my soil science side at the time and then later I was over on the Snake river country and there is a power plant outside Lewiston that burns waste timber from the second growth pine forests - I was told they are required to take the ash from that operation in covered trailers and bury it it in a special landfill because - guess what- it has toxic levels of manganese in it. The english fellers theory was politically unnacceptable at the time and I think he died since - it was more politically expedient to blame it on infected cattle from Canada and meatmeal feeding of feedlot cattle - a dumb idea anyhow - feeding dead ground up downer cattle to other cattle is not the smartest plan in town - but was an easy fix too.   So what happens now ? do they ban hunting up there because of this? That would point straight at the bleeding heart greenies - typical really "protect" something that dont need protecting so the population gets all out of control then nature kills em off with starvation or some horrible disease - the looney left is doin the same out here with all out native animals. Last time I was in your country there sure were plenty of Deer - saw quite a few smashed on the roads - they the panel beaters friend just like roos are out here .
Funny story - we had a kid from Martinsville Indiana here years ago on a Rotary exchange visit - spoilt town kid - rich parents too busy to give him much attention - cheeky kid - wanted to know where all the koala bears were - he came here knowing full well that koala bears were hanging out of trees all over the place and that we had almost rendered the kangaroo extinct - soon fix this! I tooki him up the back of the place that first afternoon and under my instructions he shot a decent size grey roo on our crop with my 22/250 -- told him there millions of em (showed him in the outback later too)  he never let up about the bears though - finally towards the end of his two months stay and on a road trip 700 miles from here I spotted a koala in a tree fork - pulled up and showed him - Brian that is the second bear I have seen outside a zoo in my whole life willya quit with the bear thing.      

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2017, 08:48:46 PM »
We Wisconsinites don't worry about it. There are plenty of deer trying to commit suicide on the roads.  ::)
BTW, deer gun season starts Saturday for nine days. Bought my license tonight. In this county, we get a buck tag and two free  antlerless tags.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2017, 04:05:14 AM »
We Wisconsinites don't worry about it. There are plenty of deer trying to commit suicide on the roads.  ::)
BTW, deer gun season starts Saturday for nine days. Bought my license tonight. In this county, we get a buck tag and two free  antlerless tags.

Slim

Yeah was just curious Slim - sounds like what I read is a bit of a beatup - the suicide thing - deer and kangaroo very similar - same restless nervous look about the head - both very sensitive to noise and smell - ear shape too - see one sitting in the headlights at the side of the road and at the last split second that kamikaze leap in front of you - splat!!! Cars in your country got crap lights for night driving too - spose too much traffic - we run good lights - change out all the bulbs for 100watts  and fit a pair of extras one spot and one wide beam - gotta switch those separate to stay legal (an isolator switch that feeds off the hibeam to a relay) Plenty deer over there from what I saw and quiet too - I was gone home by hunting season except one visit.

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2017, 07:18:38 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee is hot.

Yeah was just curious Slim - sounds like what I read is a bit of a beatup - the suicide thing - deer and kangaroo very similar - same restless nervous look about the head - both very sensitive to noise and smell - ear shape too - see one sitting in the headlights at the side of the road and at the last split second that kamikaze leap in front of you - splat!!! Cars in your country got crap lights for night driving too - spose too much traffic - we run good lights - change out all the bulbs for 100watts  and fit a pair of extras one spot and one wide beam - gotta switch those separate to stay legal (an isolator switch that feeds off the hibeam to a relay) Plenty deer over there from what I saw and quiet too - I was gone home by hunting season except one visit.
I usually lay on the horn when I see a deer on the roadside. It gets their attention and hopefully run for cover. Doesn't always work.

'Tis 40 and misting. "Blustery. Mostly cloudy. Patchy fog in the morning. A chance of drizzle in the morning. Highs in the middle 40s. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph shifting to the west 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 50 percent."

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2017, 07:34:37 AM »

West Virginia and a few boardering areas in Virginia also reported it back 6 or 7 years ago. I haven't heard or seen it here in Alabama though. I have seen these myownself... both in SE Ohio and in Northern Virginia

Coffee is up
Mathew 5.9

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2017, 09:03:30 AM »

It's been found in some counties in Mo. Certain areas they want you to give them the heads from deer harvested on the opening weekend, to test. Thankfully, not in my county, though.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: November 15, 2017, 10:15:56 AM »
On the list for today: Fix the sqeaky noisy front door!

Was about to go out the back, through the laundry room window, there's that pesky groundhog. Tried to sneak out the front door, to get a shot at him and ...SKREEEEEK.........THUNK....

Groudhog now under the (non bullet proof) storage shed.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2017, 12:00:51 PM »
I've seen this before. Before you start making little bunnies and squirrels out of C4, please, seek professional help!

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2017, 01:57:30 PM »
Blowing him up would be a bad idea. Hid hidey hole is under the backyard storage shed. the wife's shed. Blowing it up might cause problems. Set a live trap for him, don't know how well that will work-he may not even fit in the trap! Baited it with a chunk of the squash he was eating. Cleaned up all other such delicacies. His foraging ground seems to be where we throw leftovers over the fence.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2017, 03:32:58 PM »
You might ask 40 Rod for advise on ridding them burrowing pest...
Mathew 5.9

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2017, 03:33:55 PM »
Afternoon all,

Rainy again today.  About .25 of an inch so far.  Getting white stuff around 4500 ft, which has the local plow drivers running.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2017, 04:49:51 PM »
You might ask 40 Rod for advise on ridding them burrowing pest...

I think 40 Rod just used Black Powder instead of C-4. Equally bad results for the wife's junk shed errr....treasure shed. Besides, I still need to "bite the bullet" and pay the HazMat fee to get some BP from Graf's, or else make a road trip.

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2017, 06:50:26 PM »
West Virginia and a few boardering areas in Virginia also reported it back 6 or 7 years ago. I haven't heard or seen it here in Alabama though. I have seen these myownself... both in SE Ohio and in Northern Virginia

West Bend is about 1.5 hours from here.

Slim

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: November 15, 2017, 09:04:49 PM »
Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: November 16, 2017, 01:10:11 AM »
I've seen this before. Before you start making little bunnies and squirrels out of C4, please, seek professional help!

Got your rodents mixed up, Bill Murray tried to blow up a gopher, like 40 did.  Bill drove the groundhog/woodchuck off a cliff.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: November 16, 2017, 01:32:53 AM »
I'll toss some more wood on the coals and get some vittles warmed over for the night owls.

Rain finally let up at 2200.  But not before we had two cars manage to run themselves into a ditch on opposite sides of the county.

Our newest chicken laid an egg for the first time since we've had her today.  In another two or three days, we should be able to let her out of the closed run and into the flock.

--TK

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: November 16, 2017, 07:07:41 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee is hot.

'Tis 29 and overcast. High of 36.

Slim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com