Author Topic: Turkey time so stuff it.  (Read 57205 times)

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Turkey time so stuff it.
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 09:01:45 PM »
My .38 Spl load is 158gr Lee LSWC on top of 3.1 grs of Clays.

Slim

I've used Clays for .38 loads and . 45acp and shotgun loads. It pretty good for smokeless cowboy loads
Mathew 5.9

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 10:37:09 PM »

Do you have a link to it?  There is a ton of homesteader videos with container growning wheat and other grains on trays also. Mostly for feed purposes.

My first two videos in the series were fine.  This one apparently isn't.  But, it's not like I make any money on youtube anyway.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 01:25:05 AM »
Homesteading is  what Prius driving Yuppies call living in the country. They put up solar panels and  have a backup generator and call it living off the grid and then join FB groups for living off the grid.

Asked one once if they went to town to the library to check on things.  Wonder if Kubota makes a hybrid tractor? :P
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:23:54 AM »

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 07:07:19 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee is hot.

'Tis 26 and clear. High of 42.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2017, 09:15:34 AM »
A tractor? Is that what homesteaders use? I had to drag logs over 25 acres with nothing but my back and a length of rope. What kind of tractor do you have?

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2017, 11:02:47 AM »
A tractor? Is that what homesteaders use? I had to drag logs over 25 acres with nothing but my back and a length of rope. What kind of tractor do you have?

I use my jeep

Glen we use solar panels - milk goats - have a garden- chickens- (tried growing grain in small scale for chicken feed)- no Prissus though. We sure am not yuppies -new agers- hippsters- or city folk.  We have a homestead 10 acres not a farm.  We could use a tractor or skid loader but don't have one. We do have a a zero turn mower. But after 2 riding mowers in 3 summers - it was worth the money. Be careful how you throw that yuppie word out and how you catgorize people under it.  Some may really get offended, then have to shoot you in the foot.  btwYUPPIE Which was the word to describe Young Urban Proffesionals, back in the 90's.  
Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 11:57:47 AM »
You fail to see the point Roo, today's Yuppies and Hipsters are people who suddenly discover old time skills we've been doing all our lives and suddenly become experts.

The other admin in my cast iron cooking group add one now and then for me to toy with.  The lady preaching the Paleo diet was a hoot.   

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 03:13:26 PM »
You fail to see the point Roo, today's Yuppies and Hipsters are people who suddenly discover old time skills we've been doing all our lives and suddenly become experts.

The other admin in my cast iron cooking group add one now and then for me to toy with.  The lady preaching the Paleo diet was a hoot.   

I think a point that you are failing to see, is that it was folks who decided go forth and live on a homestead, that birthed the frontiersmen and mountain men. The weren't born there, unless they were Indian. They grew there, learned, spawned, etc., children of pioneers. I guess they were the original yuppies and hipsters? My God, have you seen the beards on them?
:)

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 05:31:00 PM »
Afternoon all.

The rains got here last night about midnight.  Up to a quarter inch right now, according to our questionable rain gauge.  Just got home from walking the dog with a friend.  We were fine until the wind started.  Then it got cold.  :-\  He's excited, since he's a sn*wplow driver and we're forecast for some white stuff tonight and tomorrow. 

The dog and I are wet, but I have a hot cup of Earl Gray and I'm listening to Johnny Cash while deciding whether I want a 10/22 or a Mossberg 500 Flex, so life isn't that bad.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 05:53:10 PM »

No i see the point- you have lump all into a group with a title. I don't need no stinking title. The young people today have to go and experiment on their own because there is some generational gaps in passing the knowledge down among the families. Some of them go a little over board i agree. But you can point out easier ways or feed new information rather than title them with a 30 year old nickname.  You might take to the Paleo diet. It might do you some good ... i really don't believe it will. Yet you never know.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2017, 01:00:31 AM »
Lots of city people have moved to the country  over the years and made it or failed.  The modern crop ain't happy with it and have to give it a glamorous name like they do so many other things. That is my point.   
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2017, 01:11:05 AM »
Oh and that so called Paleo diet resembles what early man ate about as much as a Subway samwhich does.  Not saying it ain't a good diet, but not Paleo. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2017, 07:38:25 AM »
Failing is all part of learning. Being a homesteader has broke $$$ many young people.  Living off the grid has a price.  Tractors and such cost dearly.  It is not the days of the great expansion where you run out and clain a piece of ground and call it your own.  It has a price. Even those cute little houses on wheels have a price tag.  This why you see more n more people our age homesteading and fewer young people.  They on most part have another income.  Or a skill that they can stay at home and earn.  We couldn't support ourselves on eggs and dairy produce or selling of livestock here. We can make additional $$$$ to help ease our living expences and products to use for our selves.  Including fru fru lotions and majic potiens. 
 Never took much to fad diets... i do care to be as natural as i can.  You can't always avoid it. But growing your own is a good start. 

Coffee is up....some kind of front has moved in it is humid and cloudy high for today low 80's yes it is still November.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2017, 07:43:01 AM »
Morning y'all.
Thanks fer the coffee.

Going to verk today for a system update.

Rained overnight.
'Tis 35 and overcast. "Cloudy. Light rain in the morning  then a chance of light rain in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 40s. East wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent."

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2017, 08:16:30 AM »
The whole homestead movement these days, is partially fueled by the desire to eat foods not covered in pesticides, genetically modified, fed who knows what. For me, what got me, was not wanting to live amongst people. The occasional person is ok, but when you lump them together they are stupid cattle. I'd rather live in the woods amongst real animals that make sense.

Then you have the "Tiny Home" craze. Believe me brothers, that doesn't cut it in the real world, unless you are homeless.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2017, 10:14:46 AM »
Won't work for homeless either. They can't move them with a shoping cart. They have no ppace to park them.
Mathew 5.9

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2017, 12:48:58 PM »
Morning ladies and germs.

Coffee is one of those necessities today.  The dog kept me up most of the night barking at the dripping sounds from the rain rolling off the roof and onto things.  She would figure it out and shut up, but then an hour or so later, be at it again.  At least she's being a good guard dog.

Rain broke about 0600, so now we're overcast with some sunny spots.  Supposed to get wet again tonight.

In other news, a friend of my sister's lost $400 worth of rabbits and caging over the past few days.  She had some pedigreed purebred New Zealand rabbits, but the neighbor's dogs got out and I think you can figure out the ending.  Now she's down to one rabbit with two toes.  Fortunately he was the $200 breeder buck that people pay lots of money for breeding to.  The others were her does.  The dog owner has offered to pay for lost property, but that's not exactly a solution to the problem.

Our rabbits are doing fine though.  Chickens are no longer naked, either.

--TK

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2017, 04:56:43 PM »
At least the neighbor offered to pay... you are right thought it is not the total solution.  I have had dog and coyotes both this past year. Lost my Blue Swede and my Runner ducks to dogs. Then later some expensive hens to coyote. Had to take matters on my self. My wife shot at the coyote but missed. The dogs were on me

Last week we had the heat on this week the AC
Mathew 5.9

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2017, 05:36:59 PM »
Anyone want a chicken?

I was out walking my dog north of town, and found another one.  This was in the same place I found the other one this time last year, and about a quarter of a mile from where I found that cat last week.  I think someone is dumping animals out there.  >:(
This new bird is a Barred Rock hen.  She looks fully grown and healthy, though a little frazzled from being out there.  We have her in the bathroom right now to make sure she isn't sick, which she doesn't seem to be.  She's friendly, and eats from the hand.  So now we have 9 chickens. Yay.

I was kind of proud of my dog though.  She was herding it. ::)

--TK

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2017, 08:08:09 PM »
I could probably live just fine in one of those tiny houses-as long as I had a 30X40 (or bigger) shop building to park it next to. Then the tiny house would just be a place to sleep and eat. Doubt that the wife would care for it, though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com