Author Topic: Home,,,bullet lube???  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Home,,,bullet lube???
« on: October 29, 2017, 09:03:21 PM »
 I shoot smokeless,,,both ,rifle & pistol,. I plan on using tolet bowl sealer and bee's wax. What do ya'll think would be a good rate of mix.What about paraffin & bowl wax???As of right now i'm also shooting TB . I would like to store some of my cast & lubed bullets and don't want them to be melting the lube out,,.

smoke'm if ya' got'm,,,,Hootmix.

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Home,,,bullet lube???
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 11:31:13 AM »
Here is what I'm using:It has 45% Lee Liquid Alox, 45% Johnson's Paste Wax and 10% Mineral Spirits.  Been using it for 3 years on all my cast bullets.  No leading, easy to make, easy to use and pretty in expensive.

Offline greenjoytj

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 04:23:40 PM »
Not a good idea to use toilet sealer rings because the wax content is unknown and is likely to change over time to what ever the manufacturer can get cheapest.

Better to use known pure ingredients, that will make your lube recipe highly repeatable batch after batch.

The lube recipe I use is called  "Emmerts Improved with Lanolin".  The recipe is as follows:
50% beeswax
40% un-salted Crisco shorting
5% olive oil
5% lanolin
Melt in a double boiler and keep the heat very low ~145*F.  Stir a lot. Don't scorch it! 
This lube is easy to make just acquire the ingredients and a large can to melt the ingredients in double boiler style.
I pour my melted lube into moulds made of 1" inside dia. plastic conduit pipe cut 4" long.
This lube is very similar to SPG lube.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:56:25 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 08:37:36 PM »
Years ago toilet bowl seals were beeswax, but I sort of doubt that now.

My lube is sort of a seat of the pants thing as far as amounts.  Approximately 50/50 beeswax/crisco and then toss in small bit of SPG, some bore butter, and some Khepra's Foot balm (mixture of various essential oils in a beeswax carrier).  The last two are mostly for the smell.  If a little too thick afterwards I might add a little olive oil.  This mixture is probably a little different every time I make it but for CAS use it is just fine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com