Author Topic: Starline brass primer pocket  (Read 2352 times)

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: #810
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Starline brass primer pocket
« on: January 01, 2018, 07:08:53 AM »
I got a box of once fired Starline brass 44/40 loaded by Ultramax, and when I loaded them up everything when fine except when I hand primed the brass. I cleaned the pockets and when seating the CCI primers they were hard to seat, and never had that trouble before with RP. or Winchester brass with I normally reload. Have any of you men had this trouble?
Thanks,
Reno

Offline Four Eyes Henry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Starline brass primer pocket
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 07:18:17 AM »
Yes, I have had that also with a batch of Starline one time.
I bought a primer pocket uniformer.

https://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/case-preparation/primer-pocket-tools/handles/sinclair-primer-pocket-uniformers-prod34720.aspx
DWSA #102
SASS  #16042
BDS    #2197

He will come to your house carrying a sixpack of goodwill and joy. The Reverend Horton Heat

http://www.youtube.com/user/foureyeshenry1

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 07:35:56 AM »
FEH, thanks for the reply. I know Ultramax sells reloads, but have bought many boxes of 44 Colt and 38 Long Colt Starline brass from Starline and never had any problem with seating primers.
Thanks Again,
Reno

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:47:09 AM »

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 10:48:46 AM »
I haven't used any CCI primers for awhile, but I never had any problems like you describe with Starline brass. I started using Starline cases about 20 years ago and have thousands in 38/40, 44/40 and 45 Colt. I did run into your problem with some older Winchester 38/40 factory rounds. For some reason they used to crimp the primers, similar to some military rounds, on their 38/40s. When I tried to reload those cases I had a lot of resistance seating primers and had to eventually uniform the pockets.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 11:04:45 AM »

Oh wow.  I gave up Uniforms when I retired in '93.  Haven't needed a Uniformer since. 

Happy New Year.

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 11:33:16 AM »
Thanks Again to all, and a Happy New Year!
Reno

Offline greenjoytj

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 03:30:10 PM »
I to use the same Sinclair primer pocket uniformer cutter tool shown in the link posted by Four Eyes Henry.  The first use is on new cases to uniform the pockets.  Then the same cutter tool is used on de-capped fired cases to scrape clean the bottom of the pocket.
I mount the Sinclair cutter in a Forester brand Deburring Tool Base (DTB).  See the DTB in the link below.
 https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/deburring-tool-base-only/
The crank handle make pocket cleaning very fast, 2 turns of the crank and the pocket is scraped clean.

The DTB tool does require an adapter to reduce to the mounting hole down from the size that fits the Forester case mouth edge deburring tool.  See the adapter in the link below:
 https://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/case-preparation/primer-pocket-tools/uniformers/sinclair-uniformer-adapter-for-forster-dbt-base-prod57984.aspx

I mounted the DTB on a small wood block and hold the block in the bench vice, then hang a 2 gallon bucket around the wood block to catch all the brass flakes and or carbon fouling scrapings.

I also use a Sinclair flash hole uniformer tool to remove the flash hole burr and uniform the flash hole, this is a one time operation for each case.

I there is any defect in the size or shape of the primer pocket the above mentioned cutter tools would detect the problem and maybe help round it out while milling the pocket to a uniform depth.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com