Author Topic: Capt. Schaeffer Custom Colt Replica -- Part IV  (Read 6334 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Capt. Schaeffer Custom Colt Replica -- Part IV
« on: October 25, 2017, 07:51:08 PM »

Word on the street.  EMF has received a new shipment of the Capt. Scheaffer replicas.  I don't know how many were received nor how many were bespoke, but well worth the call to find out U Betcha.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Capt. Schaeffer Custom Colt Replica -- Part IV
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 08:04:27 PM »
No dog in the fight ...but  yeah !

and they are NICE !
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Leverluver

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 10:35:34 AM »
Got mine yesterday.  Yes, it will need to be sent out to be tuned but it is one heck of a little cap gun for the money.  I was not on a waiting list; just saw Coffins post and ordered on line so there should be some left.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:14:54 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 07:56:30 AM »

The Capt. Schaeffers do tune up to be really fine CAS Cap Guns.  Not a true "Snubbie" as it's a four inch barrel.  As nice as the laser engraving is done, my pair of Schaeffers are the only Cap Guns I have where I didn't change out the front sight. 

I really like the guns ......... a LOT!!

Offline Leverluver

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 09:47:33 AM »
No washers required on mine.  The cylinder pin bottoms out just as the wedge spring snaps into place.  Wedge is easy to remove by just pushing down the spring and pulling out.  Only issue is once in place there is zero cylinder gap.  First time I have run into that.  Usually once set up, you can throw a cat through the cyl gap.  Kinda like a Kimber, maybe things are just a tad too tight.  Even so, it is an easy fix.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 03:51:23 PM »
If they are set up correctly, you shouldn't be able to throw even a kitten through there!  .003" should be plenty of space. Makes for a cleaner gun and keeps a "hammering cylinder" under control.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »
If they are set up correctly, you shouldn't be able to throw even a kitten through there!  .003" should be plenty of space. Makes for a cleaner gun and keeps a "hammering cylinder" under control.

Mike

+1.  The hand/pawl pushes the cylinder forward.  So, at rest there should be no gap.  To measure the gap you have to pull the cylinder to the rear.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 01:48:06 PM »
No washers required on mine.  The cylinder pin bottoms out just as the wedge spring snaps into place.  Wedge is easy to remove by just pushing down the spring and pulling out.  Only issue is once in place there is zero cylinder gap.  First time I have run into that.  Usually once set up, you can throw a cat through the cyl gap.  Kinda like a Kimber, maybe things are just a tad too tight.  Even so, it is an easy fix.

It is a Pietta.  It is Uberti that has problems with poorly fitted arbors.

Offline Leverluver

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 06:25:19 PM »
+1.  The hand/pawl pushes the cylinder forward.  So, at rest there should be no gap.  To measure the gap you have to pull the cylinder to the rear.

To clarify, when the wedge spring just snaps up, into position, the cylinder is back and there is no cylinder gap, not a hint of day light, not even .0001" (yes you read that right)....zero, zip. nadda.  The cylinder is all the way back against the recoil shield, the arbor bottoms out and the wedge spring snaps up, all at exactly the same time, with zero play anywhere, meaning absolutely no fore/aft cylinder movement.  Like I said, it is a little too tight.  I am not cocking it until I get it fixed for it will, as is, certainly score the front of the cylinder.  I do not wish to meddle with the wedge because it is perfect; in fact I have never had one that perfect.  The wedge is not overtightening anything, it bottoms the arbor and the bottom of the frame at exactly the same time and it is a simple light push down on the wedge spring and light thumb pressure on the wedge and it pops right out; no tools required, not even a light tap with a wooden dowel.  I have not owned any "tuned" cap guns but Happy Trails tuned several of my cartridge open tops and none of them will do that.  You could honestly pull off a Pale Rider cylinder change with this wedge fit, which is a certainly a plus on a gun that will have to have the cylinder removed 100% of the time for reload.   The only option I see is to take ~.003" off the back of the barrel.  Are there other options??  None of this is a criticism of the gun what-so-ever; I would much rather start with a tight gun than a loose one.   

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 06:58:56 PM »
If you are 100% sure of the problem yes taking material off the back of the barrel is the easiest way to fix the issue.  Otherwise you would have to face off the front of the cylinder.  Just to make sure we are all on the same page.  Put the gun on half-cock and pull the cylinder to the rear.  .000" clearance?

Offline Leverluver

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 08:51:08 PM »
At half cock, .0010" to maybe .0015" gap.  Less than any gun I own including a $2,000+ Freedom Arms which has been measured at .002.  My feeler gauges aren't with me but I feel those are good #s.  Do you consider that OK even if there is zero gap at other times.?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 02:21:59 PM »
Butterflies are Free  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com