Author Topic: What caliber?  (Read 6544 times)

Offline William R. Foster

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What caliber?
« on: November 12, 2017, 09:06:08 PM »
Hey all,  first post and first time on site.  Instantly knew I needed to join.  I have always loved the cowboy era and would like to keep as historically accurate as possible.  I spoke with some shooters years ago when I first considered shooting matches and everyone suggested 38/257 revolver and rifle.  I understand that ammo is easier to find (dont currently reload but have been looking for an excuse to get back in to it) and cheaper for 38.  I can find brass cased ammo at about $13 per 50.  Also budget friendly rifles like the Rossi 92 are easier to find in the 38/357 caliber or 45c.  I would really like my set to be in 44-40 the way (from my understanding) many ranch hands and range riders would have had it. 

Thoughts on the matter?  I tried to find an existing topic but had no luck.

Thanks

CW

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
Re: What caliber?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 09:58:33 PM »
http://www.3bshootingsupply.com

3B Shooting Supply out of Texas specialize in cowboy guns, and can get you anything you want in .44-40, .38-40 or .32-20, all authentic calibers used in the era offered in both pistol and rifle.
.45 Colt was, to my knowledge, handgun only and never offered in long arms in the era. Closest offering for handgun in a .38 was .38 Long Colt, .38 Short Colt or .38 S&W. Again, not offered in a long arm in the era, to my recollection.

But, it's your game, so get the caliber you want. Reloading is certainly economical in .38 caliber.

If you're thinking of shooting black powder, might want to go with a necked cartridge. If smokeless, choose whatever.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 10:16:31 PM »
http://www.3bshootingsupply.com

3B Shooting Supply out of Texas specialize in cowboy guns, and can get you anything you want in .44-40, .38-40 or .32-20, all authentic calibers used in the era offered in both pistol and rifle.
.45 Colt was, to my knowledge, handgun only and never offered in long arms in the era. Closest offering for handgun in a .38 was .38 Long Colt, .38 Short Colt or .38 S&W. Again, not offered in a long arm in the era, to my recollection.

But, it's your game, so get the caliber you want. Reloading is certainly economical in .38 caliber.

If you're thinking of shooting black powder, might want to go with a necked cartridge. If smokeless, choose whatever.

RCJ

Thanks I will check them out.  I want to do this with a good semblance of authenticity as I am tired of true "gun games".  Which is one of the pulls to 44-40.  The biggest issue I am having right now is trying to locate an economically priced 44-40 rifle.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:06:04 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 05:08:05 AM »
PLUS 2  for Bryan Buck proprietor @ 3B Shooting Supply....

Over the counter 44/40 Cowboy ammo is close to  $0.75-90 cents a round retail , 45 Cal. the same  if you have add shipping your looking closer to a buck ..... that is expensive @  $120.00 + per match.... :o
Still cheaper that Golf though  ;) and more rewarding IMHO.

setting up to reload will pay off ......  45 Colt is easier to reload than the thinner wall bottleneck 44/40

38 Cal. is about  $0.18 -25 cents  even less for reloads.....  in fact cheap enough , it will stave off setting up to reloading a spell.

But setting up is fun and part of the experience, and there is something to be said , hearing your own home rolled rounds go bang.

Best advice suggestion, buy your guns in same caliber.... go user friendly and economical to start out.
when planets align...do the deal !

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 05:13:58 AM »
PLUS 2  for Bryan Buck proprietor @ 3B Shooting Supply....

Over the counter 44/40 Cowboy ammo is close to  $0.75-90 cents a round retail , 45 Cal. the same  if you have add shipping your looking closer to a buck ..... that is expensive @  $120.00 + per match.... :o
Still cheaper that Golf though  ;) and more rewarding IMHO.

setting up to reload will pay off ......  45 Colt is easier to reload than the thinner wall bottleneck 44/40

38 Cal. is about  $0.18 -25 cents  even less for reloads.....  in fact cheap enough , it will stave off setting up to reloading a spell.

But setting up is fun and part of the experience, and there is something to be said , hearing your own home rolled rounds go bang.

Best advice suggestion, buy your guns in same caliber.... go user friendly and economical to start out.

Thanks. I will prolly go with 38/357 to start with.  Ammo is cheaper and i can still find some of the rossi 92s in that caliber local.  I guess all they are making is 45c these days.  Thats all their site has anyways.  Honestly I figure the cost difference on ammo alone initially will help me fund a second revolver, shotgun, or a quality leather rig.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 05:37:53 AM »
Thanks. I will prolly go with 38/357 to start with.  Ammo is cheaper and i can still find some of the rossi 92s in that caliber local.  I guess all they are making is 45c these days.  Thats all their site has anyways.  Honestly I figure the cost difference on ammo alone initially will help me fund a second revolver, shotgun, or a quality leather rig.

Charley
For what its worth - a Rossi 92 in 357 mag makes a real nice lil BLACKPOWDER gun - 21 grains under a 158grain LEE RNFP - (Mr Lee makes a few good blackpowder molds and this is one of em) second hand cases are everywhere cheap - just sayin - if ya decide to make real smoke at some point you will not be disadvantaged with this rig - yeah well somebody will go a tiny bit faster with a race built '73 - but that would buy ya three Rossis ??? two anyway. ???
I sold my Rossi ..........why do I keep doin that???? (sellin good gunz just when I get em goin right) ------ ahhh yes I know--- saw somethin else I wanted.....
have fun!!!!!   

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 05:41:58 AM »
Charley
For what its worth - a Rossi 92 in 357 mag makes a real nice lil BLACKPOWDER gun - 21 grains under a 158grain LEE RNFP - (Mr Lee makes a few good blackpowder molds and this is one of em) second hand cases are everywhere cheap - just sayin - if ya decide to make real smoke at some point you will not be disadvantaged with this rig - yeah well somebody will go a tiny bit faster with a race built '73 - but that would buy ya three Rossis ??? two anyway. ???
I sold my Rossi ..........why do I keep doin that???? (sellin good gunz just when I get em goin right) ------ ahhh yes I know--- saw somethin else I wanted.....
have fun!!!!!    

I may get into BP cartridge but idk.  I always hated cleaning BP and pyrodex nightmares still haunt me.  Im currently planning on a 92 and doing a DIY job on it from steve gunz.  I know I will want the action job from previous experience with one of their 44mag varieties (much like you I sold it and wish I hadnt).

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 188
Re: What calibe
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 08:41:16 AM »
I like .45s so when I started my Cas experience I naturally bought guns in .45lc. A troubled Rossi became a Marlin Cowboy, my revolvers were always Ruger vaqueros. Only recently have I branched out and bought an original Winchester 73 and a Uberti 66 in 44-40, both are muskets, and a Colt New Service in 38-40. Unless you're a gamer any caliber is fine and require about the same amount of effort to reload. But you need to stay with only one caliber for your match guns. I've seen guys mix up ammo which is a good way to ruin your day. Calibers with the dash work best with black. Good luck, have fun, stay safe.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 02:09:45 PM »
Economically priced?  Wrong sport.  I'd recommend you hook up with a local club.  All the clubs I know will loan you guns so you can try out different types of rifles, shotguns & pistols, including different calibers.  You will make the sport more economical for yourself if you have a good idea going in what you really want.  You may think it's economical to start out with a 92 in .38 spl, but after a match or two, my bet is you will be looking for a 66 , 73 or a Marlin. So we call all sit here and give you al kinds of advice about what we think would work, but you really need to try stuff for yourself, and figure out at what level you want to compete at. 

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 03:22:46 PM »
Economically priced?  Wrong sport.  I'd recommend you hook up with a local club.  All the clubs I know will loan you guns so you can try out different types of rifles, shotguns & pistols, including different calibers.  You will make the sport more economical for yourself if you have a good idea going in what you really want.  You may think it's economical to start out with a 92 in .38 spl, but after a match or two, my bet is you will be looking for a 66 , 73 or a Marlin. So we call all sit here and give you al kinds of advice about what we think would work, but you really need to try stuff for yourself, and figure out at what level you want to compete at. 

Or, you could do like me, and buy one of everything for rifles, and two of everything for handguns!
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 03:40:03 PM »
Or, you could do like me, and buy one of everything for rifles, and two of everything for handguns!
  I have.  I give advice from experience;)

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 04:26:07 PM »
Thanks everyone. I plan to go to a match and hopefully try before i buy. Just trying to get an idea of what ill be looking for/ wanting in my mind.

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 07:02:07 PM »
I started out with  44/40 vaqueros and a 66 also in 44. I now usually shoot a pair of Pietta 38's. I use
38 long colt brass, because it was THERE. And a 44/40 rifle, either the 66 or an original 135 year old
73 with real black. Now that's cool.  As previously stated, probably good to stay away from 44 and 45
as they can be too easily mixed up.  38 and 44/40 no problem.

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 10:29:10 PM »

Funny you mention that....  when I first started SASS ....it was 2 Ruger OMV's in 45,  a Marlin Cowboy in 45 & Stoegar ( actually a borrowed Fox first that gave way to the Stoegar )  after a few years , I sorta got bored with those .

Sold them all ,  got a TTn Hammer gun ,  got a  73 and several 1860 Henry's ( missed the Fish gun though, and purchased another in 32/20 ) and  every manor of Conversion , Open Top & a few SAA's  and included S&W # 3's too.... not to mention a butt load of C&B's

So yeah "  I fully understand  "  buy one of everything for rifles, and two of everything for handguns! "  :P

which...led to a Kreg , 97 Trench , a Model 62 22 pump.... 1911's , Berthier and on and on.... " like box of Chocolates, you never know what you might get next ! " 

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 08:32:24 AM »
And then ........ And then ....... If you wish to feel the power of The Dark Side ......... Give APP a try.  No lubes, easy to clean up and especially ...... FUN!!

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 09:26:10 AM »
And then ........ And then ....... If you wish to feel the power of The Dark Side ......... Give APP a try.  No lubes, easy to clean up and especially ...... FUN!!

How hard is it to source APP?....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com