Author Topic: Milling 1873 brass carrier  (Read 6560 times)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
Re: Milling 1873 brass carrier
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 06:48:52 PM »
Howdy all,

If you mine posts from years ago, you'll see that I'm well aware that there is no such thing as .45 Long Colt. We had a lively discussion about that years ago. The explanations for why Long Colt was correct were hilarious. Some argued that it was to differentiat between the Schofield round and the 45 Colt. Some even mentioned the 45 ACP being short. I think that the gummint did refer to a short and long 45, but not with the "Colt" added.

I only used that as an example of how cartridge naming sometimes gets bastardized. I would like to know whether the "dash" cartridges are also sometimes "slash" cartridges. examples: 44-40 or 44/40, 45-70 or 45/70. Anyone have a handle on this?

Reverend Chase

The Winchester dash calibers, let's use 44-40 for example.  Started off 44WCF which stood for Winchester Center Fire.  When Colt and others started chambering guns for these calibers, they didn't want a letter that stands for Winchester on their guns, so they changed it to 44-40.  That's when the dash came in.  Winchester continued using WCF.   So both are "correct" depending on the firearm.  I think the slash / is a bastardization. 

And as far as 45 Colt, that is what I will always call it, but "45 Long Colt" is written on cartridge boxes by some well-known manufacturers, so I would say it is acceptable even if not the best.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 07:07:07 PM »
The Winchester dash calibers, let's use 44-40 for example.  Started off 44WCF which stood for Winchester Center Fire.  When Colt and others started chambering guns for these calibers, they didn't want a letter that stands for Winchester on their guns, so they changed it to 44-40.  That's when the dash came in.  Winchester continued using WCF.   So both are "correct" depending on the firearm.  I think the slash / is a bastardization. 

And as far as 45 Colt, that is what I will always call it, but "45 Long Colt" is written on cartridge boxes by some well-known manufacturers, so I would say it is acceptable even if not the best.

Dash n Slash ?
I always used the slash (as in 44/40) but have had ta mend me ways some - ya see - dash is acceptable in digi lingo but the slash means sumptin else entirely - will get ya in a pile o trouble wid file names n stuff on yr puter - ifn ya try ta save some other wise bodys edicated writings on the subject ya will git a message says - "uh no sorry ole son but that one aint gonna fly, pick another name please" - so dash we must eh

Offline FuriousFritz

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 03:30:47 AM »
Thanks partners for your ideas.
I´ll give annealing some cases a try and see how they work.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:42:34 AM »

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2017, 10:26:31 PM »
I'm mighty tempted to have a carrier fitted to my 73 for Cowboy 45 Special ammo.  Then that rig would hold about 15 shots.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2017, 04:55:26 PM »
WHAT  :o   WAIT   :o   WOW!!!

DDD ??  Really??  You don't have a Toggle Rifle set up with a Flipper Stopper Carrier from "The Smith Shop??"  Honest ?? :D   You really need one fourth with.  I run 45CS brass in four Henrys, one 1866 and two 1873s.  Absolutely the Beez Kneez.  Onliest thing you have to remember is to push the last round loaded fully into the carrier to catch the Flipper.   ;)

On an OEM length Henry it's just grins and giggles to load up 18 rounds on Sunday and then SHOOT ALL WEEK!!  Also lets me get a full 10 rounds (12 actual) in my Trapper(s).  The carrier from The Smith Shop is built on an OEM Uberti Carrier block and as such is pretty much "drop in."  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com