Author Topic: Webley safe .45 Auto Loads?  (Read 4157 times)

Offline CPL Jayhawker Jake

• Very Active Citizen
  • Over the Hills and Far Away...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Webley safe .45 Auto Loads?
« on: October 18, 2017, 06:14:22 PM »
Howdy folks.  Anyone have a favorite .45 Auto load for a Webley?  Picked up a shaved Webley this pat weekend, and I'm looking to shoot it.  Since I only have one box of .455 for it, I'm looking to load up some .45 Auto or Auto Rim for it.  Not a lot of published data, so I figured I'd ask you fine gentlemen.

Looking to top the load with a 230gr or 250gr cast pill.
GAF #827

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
Re: Webley safe .45 Auto Loads?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 06:55:25 PM »
I use about 20 grains of black, or a smokeless starter target load from the .45 acp tables. This is a recuring question, so search the "Frontier Iron" or "Darksider's Den."
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 07:10:54 PM »
I use about 20 grains of black, or a smokeless starter target load from the .45 acp tables. This is a recuring question, so search the "Frontier Iron" or "Darksider's Den."

I tried searching; guess my google-fu failed me.   :-\
GAF #827

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:06:10 AM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 07:19:47 PM »
Any .45 acp target load would be good place to start. Autorim brass or moon clips will be needed. Your lead bullets need to be .454 or .455 to get decent accuracy. Don't use .45 ball or modern stuff, too hot for these old guns. The thing that saves them is a modern .45 acp is .451 so there's plenty of room for the extra pressure to go. Got a bunch of these old Webley revolvers. Love them. The trigger is looong but smooth. Enjoy
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 09:40:57 PM »
Is this a MK V or VI with the thicker cylinder?  If so, the Lee 2nd reloading manual has an excellent section for the 45 Auto rim, any load below 14000 cup is all right.  IF an earlier MK, I would advise BP, or a load of no more than 4.5 grains Unique under a 230 lead bullet.

A handy thing to remember is that the .45 auto/rim has the same internal volume as the longer Webley MK 1 case, also known as the .455 Colt Eley, and data can be found on the internet.  Also, if you have the Lee 1st Reloading manual around, it has a section on the .455 Webley (Mk 2 short case).  Lots of good loads there for Unique, Bullseye, Green Dot, Red Dot.

You will hear folks tell you you need .454 or .455 bullets.  The Webley has somewhat odd dimensions, with the barrels .451 +/- .001 BUT with the chamber mouths .449 +/- 001!  This was an intentional restriction to help get a good pressure curve burn with the chopped cordite used way back then.  Thus .451 bullets are fine, but they need to be soft!  Ironicaly this does help get a good burn with Unique, which seems to have a burn rate close to that of chopped cordite.  (Unchopped long strings of Cordite as used in the rifles burns a lot slower)  No, no one seems to know why they call it a .455.  Maybe to differentiate it from the .450 Adams round it descended from.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 06:08:42 PM »
Is this a MK V or VI with the thicker cylinder?  If so, the Lee 2nd reloading manual has an excellent section for the 45 Auto rim, any load below 14000 cup is all right.  IF an earlier MK, I would advise BP, or a load of no more than 4.5 grains Unique under a 230 lead bullet.

A handy thing to remember is that the .45 auto/rim has the same internal volume as the longer Webley MK 1 case, also known as the .455 Colt Eley, and data can be found on the internet.  Also, if you have the Lee 1st Reloading manual around, it has a section on the .455 Webley (Mk 2 short case).  Lots of good loads there for Unique, Bullseye, Green Dot, Red Dot.

You will hear folks tell you you need .454 or .455 bullets.  The Webley has somewhat odd dimensions, with the barrels .451 +/- .001 BUT with the chamber mouths .449 +/- 001!  This was an intentional restriction to help get a good pressure curve burn with the chopped cordite used way back then.  Thus .451 bullets are fine, but they need to be soft!  Ironicaly this does help get a good burn with Unique, which seems to have a burn rate close to that of chopped cordite.  (Unchopped long strings of Cordite as used in the rifles burns a lot slower)  No, no one seems to know why they call it a .455.  Maybe to differentiate it from the .450 Adams round it descended from.

Thanks.  I'll check out the Lee Reloading manual for the Mk II loads.
GAF #827

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 06:41:53 PM »
Drydock, This is why it's a .455.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 10:14:24 AM »

I used the "search function" and found a page of related hits. Nothing that adds to our current thread. I am a member of this discussion on facebook;  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/602216603198441/

Our RattlesnakeJack composed a good article on loading and load safety under his real name, Grant R.... It says what has to be said. It is the first and only pinned article, under the moderators name, John SA. Saia.

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 09:19:07 PM »
On a trial basis for a recently acquired Webley, I loaded a .454 pure lead ball atop a .45 cowboy special case full of APP fff. Seated the ball with some compression just past the centerline with a mild crimp to hold it in. Made a nice bang/cloud of smoke, and seemed to shoot POA @ 10 yds. or so. The .45 Cowboy Special brass is now available from Starline. Seemed easier to me than messing with moon clips.
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 03:43:04 AM »
I use these: http://www.ezmoonclip.com/

For speed loads while Zoot shooting, they can't be beat!  

The 45 Cowboy Specials might not work with a lot of shaved Webleys though.  But thin the rim a bit and they'd make a good MK 1 Case!
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 11:53:43 AM »
On a trial basis for a recently acquired Webley, I loaded a .454 pure lead ball atop a .45 cowboy special case full of APP fff. Seated the ball with some compression just past the centerline with a mild crimp to hold it in. Made a nice bang/cloud of smoke, and seemed to shoot POA @ 10 yds. or so. The .45 Cowboy Special brass is now available from Starline. Seemed easier to me than messing with moon clips.

I do something similar with my 1889 Reichsrevolver, but with .44 Russ cases.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com