Author Topic: Dry Fire practice  (Read 6281 times)

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Dry Fire practice
« on: October 17, 2017, 10:02:55 AM »
Hello the Camp,
Any ideas out there about dry firing percussion revolvers. Live fire is fun, but expensive of powder, caps and lead.
Your thoughts please.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
Re: Dry Fire practice
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 10:30:08 AM »
I used to practise with my RUGER Single Six, (when I was somewhat competetive.) I was near to two ranges and went through 500 rounds a week. Wednesday morning I had about a 20 minute window. I could set up, the IPSC rack was alredy there, shoot about 100 rounds from the single Six and a 9422 and be on my way.

Dry firing with a percussion revolver? I have avoided doing that as I couldn't see a way to do it without battering something?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:37:50 AM »
You could have a set of used nipples that you don't care about battering.

Just don't get them mixed up with yer shootin' nipples!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:04:33 AM »

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 11:01:52 AM »
I cut heavy leather strips that would fit in the hammer channel in the frame. The leather catches the hammer preventing battering of the frame, hammer and nipples.   Works on all varieties of C&B pistols.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 11:04:12 AM »
I just absolutely LOVE this question whenever it comes up.  The Knee Jerk answer is always NO!!!  NEVER!!!  NOWAY!!!  I spent too many years fixing the guns of the foolish and foolhardy to freely suggest Dry Firing a Percussion Revolver.  EXCEPT:

NEVER with guns you intend to shoot in CAS.  Should be self explanatory.

NEVER with Nipples in the guns.  There are those folks who advocate putting some form of Little Rubber Baby Buggy Bumper on the nipples.  Sure.  They wear.  Bad Joss.  Constant impact with the nipples not only ruins the nipples very rapidly but also pounds a nipple side dent in the hammer face.  More Bad Joss.

First you need a "Beater."  Same make and model you normally shoot.  Usually you can find one someone has screwed up by dry firing and get it for pennies.  Make it feel like your match gun(s).  Take the OEM nipples out and throw them away.  Or just pound the hammer and nipples into junque.  It's a "beater" remember??  If you dry fire your match guns, you going to need someone like ME!!  Not me because I'm retired ... remember??  Someone like me, who isn't retired and understands Cap Guns.  When you visit this person, be sure and take your pay cheque with you.  The person will want the pay cheque.  If you continue to dry fire your match guns, plan on several visits and lots of pay cheques.

Also, if you watch for the "specials" at the Big Box stores, you can often pick up a new gun at beater prices.  Oh, forgot, eventually, the hammer in the beater is going to break at the stress riser.  Just buy a new hammer and continue to pound it.  :o

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 11:22:12 AM »
Hey!!  KOOL!!

Noz was positing while I was typing.  REALLY interesting method.  Dry Fire is the only way to develop good trigger control.  The little leather strip would prevent the battering of the hammer against the frame (Still .... Take the nipples out).  So long as the bolt will reset, I think Noz's method is an excellent suggestion.  May even allow the use of your match guns.  Personally, I'd still use a "beater."  I must admit I am opinionated (who ???  Me???) and can't really bring myself to suggest dry firing a finely tuned pair of match guns.  I must also admit, I really like the leather strip idea a lot.  See!!  You can teach an Old Dog new trix.  ::)   ;D

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 04:43:10 PM »
Someone callin' Noz an old dog? Even if not, he sure has learned a lot of tricks.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 09:38:54 PM »
This comes up frequently and there are always a few suggustions on how to do it.  I find none of these to be satisfactory over the long haul and simple do not under any circumstances dry fire any of my C&B revolvers.  Period. Nada. Never.  But that is just me.  Do what you want.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 10:08:03 AM »
The metals used in the C&B repros tends to be soft or merely case hardened compared to the suppository shooters (cartridge guns which must be loaded from the rear). I have a pair of "match guns" (old $99 on special ASM 44 "Navies") that work so reliably that I don't want to wear them out. I had them "tuned" way back in the mid 90s which included hardening of the triggers. I only dig them out for serious shoots where I actually care to be competitive which is about twice a year (state championship or a big annual). I don't want to wear them out by dry firing. My answer is to own a whole lot of different C&Bs so you never wear them out. Using a similar feeling suppository shooter with snap caps is how I've done any dry fire practice. Other than the harder cocking of the C&B all the rest of the muscle memory is the same.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »
My personal Opine, Mirrors that of Pettifogger and Hellgate.  I simply DO NOT dry fire my Cap Guns.  I also agree with the method used by Hellgate to reduce wear and tear.  And it is an elegant solution.  Lots of Cap Guns.  Rotate their use.  I also practice Hellgate's method.  Lots of Cap Guns.  Lots.

I also try to provide simple solutions for those who feel you simply MUST Dry Fire your Cap Guns.  Trust me.  If your shooting Cap Guns for CAS, you are NEVER going to catch the Suppository Shooters.  Ever.  I personally like my practice beaters to feel like my actual match guns so I use the same Main Springs.  Also Same same the Main Springs in my very few Suppository guns.  So I return to my original suggestion.  Beaters.  Come first snow, get comfy in a nice warm home and hone your trigger control.

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 01:29:09 PM »
Thank you one and all for ideas and comments.
I would seen that my dry fire practice will be when I clear the cones by snapping a cap before loading.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 03:08:28 PM »
That would be excellent Practice   ;D

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 03:58:49 PM »
Bunk
Caps at 12 bucks per hundred n hard to find at that - this ole skinflint blow her out with the air compressor before heading off to a match - take a squint through the cylinder - see light thru them nipples its all go ------the oldtimers didnt have a compressor plugged in the corner of the stable so they hadda waste caps clearing their gun ................................

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 06:13:37 PM »
I use nipple picks or those little denta brushes for going between teeth. They work pretty good. Like Greyhawk I'm way too cheap to pay for 12 extra caps per match. Sportsman's Warehouse has them for either $5.99 or $6.99/100.

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 08:06:09 PM »
Someone callin' Noz an old dog? Even if not, he sure has learned a lot of tricks.

WOOF, WOOF!

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 08:09:44 PM »
I'm with greyhawk, I blow my nipples out with an air compressor (always make sure you don't have moisture in your tank/lines)./ Have been doing it that way for a dozen years or so. Back in the day when caps were .60-.70 a 100, never thought twice about firing six per gun to blow out them out. Sometimes will even take a pipe cleaner after doing so and twirl it around-see even daylight in each hole-good to go.

"Dry fire"--I practice trigger control on my percussion and conversion types by pulling the trigger, dropping the hammer on a cap or primer, which ignites the powder, sending a ball/bullet out on a trip down the barrel, through space to a predestined target.  As has been mentioned in a number of posts--hard on the gun, I don't even do it on my modern made, finest steel formed and nitrocellulose fueled revolvers and semi-auto's. No sense in hurrying along what you get with normal wear and tear to fine firearms by abusing them sitting in your living room taking fake potshots at your lamps.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 09:51:28 PM »
Hey Wait a minute.  Air compressor??  Don't have an air compressor anymore.  When I did, moisture in the tank and lines was pretty common.  Additionally, I want to burn off the oil film in the chamber before I load the first stage.  Additionally, I only fire caps thru the chambers I plan to use that day.  That's only 10.   ::)

I figure those 10 caps are cheap insurance those first 10 are going to fire just like the rest of the days loads.  I know, I know, you guys have just as good a result with your compressors, but ya gotta admit, bustin those caps be lots more fun.   :D

Even though I no longer chase the Brass Ring .... I still participate in meaningful practice sessions.  It's called matches by some folks.   ;D

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 11:23:49 PM »
Hey Wait a minute.  Air compressor??  Don't have an air compressor anymore.  When I did, moisture in the tank and lines was pretty common.  Additionally, I want to burn off the oil film in the chamber before I load the first stage.  Additionally, I only fire caps thru the chambers I plan to use that day.  That's only 10.   ::)

I figure those 10 caps are cheap insurance those first 10 are going to fire just like the rest of the days loads.  I know, I know, you guys have just as good a result with your compressors, but ya gotta admit, bustin those caps be lots more fun.   :D

Even though I no longer chase the Brass Ring .... I still participate in meaningful practice sessions.  It's called matches by some folks.   ;D

We have the advantage of living in a very dry environment (think Arizona - 40% humidity as a common thing) hence H2O in air tanks is not a common problem - this caper would not work near so well in most of your country - as well if I just drove 7 hours to the venue I would likely waste a few caps as insurance - the oily film ? - ahhhhhhgggggg I use that orrible WD40 ys all hate - just a touch of it ona cotton mop in the cylinders ---only shoot my guns little but fairly often

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »
Well Iowa is both humid and hot in the summer months. Plus 90* F days in summer with high humidity (70-90%) not uncommon. If I can keep my basement with dehumidifiers 50% humidity during the summer I'm happy. Store my primers and powder in moisture proof containers, stays pretty cool 'down there', have never had any powder or primer/cap deteriorate. I keep my two air compressors tanks dry (ya have ta bleed em once in a while), only line is the rubber hose coming off them. I didn't mention that prior to blowing out the nipples with air, I take a large swab and wipe out the chambers with denatured alcohol, then blow the nipples. Takes out all and any oil. Have never had any misfire, though firing off six caps does the trick too, doing so won't put me in a food line somewhere, but I'm cheap and hate to waste caps blowing out the cylinder.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 10:28:50 PM »
Walt Kirst now makes a cylinder and barrel insert for .22 Long Rifle.  With this rig you can shoot .22 ammo for practice.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com