Author Topic: Hammer ginding  (Read 2046 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hammer ginding
« on: October 16, 2017, 06:55:18 PM »
T'ain't Cowboy, but ....

had the experience today of reducing a wide S&W Target Trigger to standard width. The Combat Masterpiece came with both Target hammer and trigger. I can live with the hammer, but that wide trigger is a detriment for DA control in IDPA and IPSC.

Could have bought a new narrow trigger for $30 plus shipping, but I had a wide trigger on hand from another gun.

Did 85-90% of it on a bench grinder, the rest with a series of files and emory cloth, finishing up with a Dremel polishing wheel. After a cold blue, it's hard to tell it from a factory trigger.

Made me appreciate why professional gunsmiths charge what they do for their labour. Took me four hours.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
Re: Hammer ginding
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 07:19:09 PM »
I've only ground on 2 hammers but to make them more cc pocket friendly. Used my 1 inch belt bench sander. They turned out nice.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 04:07:40 PM »
The curve of the trigger was easily cut with a file. One you neared the area with all the notches and angles, it was HARD.

That was fine as it served as a guide and prevented me from cutting where I need not go. S&W only heat treats the necessary area.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:14:38 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com