Author Topic: Authenticity  (Read 19217 times)

Offline Templar

• Citizen
  • Captain Quigley
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Authenticity
« on: October 16, 2017, 10:17:12 AM »
Captain Quigley here,

I have been a NCOWS member longer than I can remember. Joined even when the closest NCOWS shoot was a days drive from Colorado. Enjoyed what you(we) stood for and the magazine, even though I could not participate. BTW, I am also a SASS member, have been for decades. I have since moved to SC and have brought in 2 new members to NCOWS.

I would like to ask all the Territorial Congress members what providence they used to approve the Two Handed shooting method as being period correct. I read in every Shootist on how we pride ourselves on "Authenticity", "Old West Spirit", and Reenacting, per the black page of the Shootist. We frequently see on the front cover a member using a two handed grip. As a 20+ year veteran of Civil War and Indian wars cavalry, I am fairly well versed in period correct authencity and the historical research used to justify the equipment , and procedures we use. I have never seen or read a single incidence where a two handed revolver hold was taught or documented. Well, there was Mattie holding that horse pistol in True Grit, but a single incidence does not document common usage . :o

Now ya'll went and combined this "Creative Anachnorism" into the same class as the members who use a single handed hold as was done in the times we portray.

What has happened here? While you constantly berate SASS, you have allowed, no preferred, the same speed shooting method that the "Fastest" shooters use to win their Top Competitor competitions. There is no way the average duelist shooter can match the speed of a two handed shooting method. Were the two handed Gamers not winning enough awards to fuel their egos?

Yes, yes...you passed this change off as a method to reduce they number of classes.

Well, here is a suggestion. Eliminate the two handed shooting method, except for the young, weak or infirm. Eliminate this two handed anachronism from all shoots (except for Mattie) and  truly and authentically represent the Old West we claim to portray.

Just my humble opinions and suggestion from this life long cowboy, historian, and cavalry reenact.

Captain Quigley
NCOWS L-131
aka: Terry Guriel

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
Re: Authenticity
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 10:35:01 AM »
[Bruce Dern used two hands to shoot John Wayne in the back in The Cowboys.]

But other than that..... ::)

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 11:00:12 AM »
Well Captain .....

I'm NOT a lifelong member of NCOWS although I soon will be a member of NCOWS and I take some exception to your dissertation.  Since you weren't personally there, do you really portend that enterprising folks did not nor never gripped their pistol with two hands??  Let us take note ..... the creator of all gave us TWO good hands with which to grasp our PISTOLS.  Why would those in the position of protecting life and limb NOT take advantage of that free hand??

I do understand, the thought of gripping your pistol with two hand is personally annoying to you, suggesting an entire shooting fraternity be subjected to your particular ideas seems somewhat self aggrandizing.  Especially considering, you weren't personally there in witness as it twer.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:01:06 AM »

Offline Templar

• Citizen
  • Captain Quigley
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 12:02:21 PM »
Well Mr. Coffinmaker,

We are all allowed our opinion, thus is yours.

No none of us living presently were personally there. All we can do is look at the surviving photographs and read the documents (such as they are) to get a an idea of what was commonly done.

The cardinal run of authentic reenacting is that if you can't document what was used, how used, or commonly done, then it is inappropriate to do or use. That is the primary tenant of authentic reenacting. Just because they may have done it if they could, does not mean they did. I'm not saying, no one never ever held a revolver with two hands. I'm saying that it was not common and as such does not belong as major classification of shooters.

Since you don't know me, your use of the term "self aggrandizing" is not only totally ignorant, but also a ploy to shut down those who are different than you. These are the tactics employed by the folks who follow Saul Allensky.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 12:08:47 PM »
It can be argued that Bill Hickok used 2 hands when he shot Dave Tutt in Springfield, Missouri July 21 1865. The description of it said something about Wild Bill bracing his revolver with his left hand when he took the shot at something like 70 yards.  I didn't look up the exact account but that's close.
I personally prefer to shoot one handed and when I was in the Marines we had to qualify one handed in the early 60s but that changed before my hitch was up.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Daniel Dodge

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 12:29:52 PM »
If you were supposed to use two hands Sam Colt would have put two handles on them...   ;D

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 12:35:17 PM »
WOW    :o   Must have hit a Nerve   ::)

No intent at all to deny you your particular opine.  More than welcome to shoot one handed.  More than welcome to express your opinion.  On the other hand, suggesting everybody should be required to do it "your way" and accusing those whom find your position to be just a mite "High Handed" of being "Radicals" is akin to describing those who disagree as being Heretics.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 01:13:25 PM »
A point of issue Sir...

You wrote.... " What has happened here? While you constantly berate SASS "

Where ? how ? does NCOWS  or  the membership at large berate SASS.... either   constantly or passively ?

I'm am NCOWS member, past Senator and National Judge , Mounted Reenactor for 30+ years , Past SASS member 1992-2003.

I'm not naive , know SASS & NCOWS are DIFFERENT ,,, that difference is what drew me to NCOWS ...but I don't believe  
anyone in NCOWS constantly berates SASS.

That is a mighty statement  :-\

I shoot Duelist ,  I prefer it ,  I've shot two handed back in my early SASS years because I shot factory 45 Colt in 7.5 inch Old Model Vaquero's , seemed prudent to do so for control.

as to Maddie Ross & her Colt's Dragoon or nasty Bruce Derns dirty deed ...  
nether hold a candle to the Late great James Coburn's "Britt" in Magnificent 7

not saying it was period correct but it was Magnificent  :)

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 01:15:13 PM »
Howdy all,

I'm not an NCOWS shooter, but I appreciate authenticity. I shoot one handed in sass in the one-handed classes. Rather than debate whether the old timers ever (never, always, often) shot with two hands (even though we know that two-handed was probably a rarity, typically for long, slow aimed shots), I would point out the basic unfairness of having one-handers compete against two-handers in the same class (if that's what they are doing). Even sass (known for being a little fast and loose with authenticity) separates the two styles.

Reverend Chase

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 01:17:42 PM »
Howdy all,

I'm not an NCOWS shooter,....

Reverend Chase

and there you have it  ;)

Offline Templar

• Citizen
  • Captain Quigley
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 05:06:35 PM »
Major 2. Howdy Sir.

Might I suggest that you read the back cover of nearly every Shootist magazine.

Are you saying that these comments are not directed at SASS:
1. "Tired of too close and too big:
2. "Tired of equipment race"
3. "Ready for more authenticity"
4. "Like real shooting competition"

Well sir. If those statements are not directed at SASS. I'll be a Dandy.

Now, I'm not defending SASS. They are a business that is in business to make money. Nothing wrong with that.

I still shoot with and belong to both groups.

Just think NCOWS should have higher standards.

IMHO

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 05:29:37 PM »
My grand father died in the 1960's at almost 90 years old. His only revolver was a top break .44 S&W. I remember him shooting his revolver always one handed with the elbow bent.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 05:47:27 PM »
Attached is a couple of turn of the 20th century photos of some of the top pistol shooting competitors.  I believe the guy in the middle of the second photo is E. E. Partridge:  I think he invented a target sight for pistols.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »
Well Captain .....

I'm NOT a lifelong member of NCOWS although I soon will be a member of NCOWS and I take some exception to your dissertation.  Since you weren't personally there, do you really portend that enterprising folks did not nor never gripped their pistol with two hands??  Let us take note ..... the creator of all gave us TWO good hands with which to grasp our PISTOLS.  Why would those in the position of protecting life and limb NOT take advantage of that free hand??

I do understand, the thought of gripping your pistol with two hand is personally annoying to you, suggesting an entire shooting fraternity be subjected to your particular ideas seems somewhat self aggrandizing.  Especially considering, you weren't personally there in witness as it twer.

Whats goin on here boys ??? two handed versus one handed ?? thats two separate classes / events surely ?? I plink at our local (Aussie) pistol club to keep meself legal with pistols - in normal competition if ya grip two handed ya is disqualified - when we shoot a full match and I get to the rapid fire part wid me little ruger single action the boys are ok wid me doin two hands cuz they all shootin semi autos wid orthopedic grips - but If I won they might change their minds and if I shot a good enough score to break grade I might want to disqualify that score myself -- I am an outsider to this argyment but -- two hands is open class - one hand is a special catygory - lettin two hands in a one hand category is BS - if that happened somebody just got screwed !!!!!

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 06:04:34 PM »
The solution to all of this is to give up caring whether someone shoots faster than you, regardless of hold style.

There is no rule that says you can't shoot one-handed if signed up for two-hand style. I like the option of being able to bring my offhand up to steady my aim when going after those pesky little knockdown cowboys at our range. If it's a larger pistol target, or a "dump" target, then I will get some practice in shooting duelist.

I'm just shy of two decades shooting NCOWS in matches hosted all across the country, but I can count on the digits of both hands and one foot, the number of members who are consistently totally authentic.

I am sure most of the new blood signing up for NCOWS membership are those who are escaping from the "race guns shot as fast as possible to be competitive"-bent, and not enticed by authenticity. No need to shame people who shoot how they've been introduced to the hobby and feel safer using two hands.
People's participation is more important than what handhold style they prefer. NCOWS will start hemorrhaging membership if we alienate two-handed shooters.
THAT we cannot afford to do.

RCJ    
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 06:06:24 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome Major,

Thought I had a point, but not being an NCOWS shooter, I should have saved my thought for some other part of the forum. Really makes me want to search out an NCOWS chapter in the Northeast.

Reverend Chase

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 06:33:49 PM »
My grand father died in the 1960's at almost 90 years old. His only revolver was a top break .44 S&W. I remember him shooting his revolver always one handed with the elbow bent.

AHH  thanks for that !!! I shoot my cowboy pistols at the "proper pistol club" --- elbows bent -- I dont do so bad when I try - the guys used to coach me to shoot stiff arm - always resisted that - it was not comfortable with the standard colt grip - I had an EMF 44/40 that I had tuned up myself and was doing quite well with until little johhny arsehol er howards buyback claimed it - a couple weeks before the hand in I took it to the club and shot till I was tired of it (had a heap of ammo loaded for pistol) there were some spare targets up and mr club hotshot wandered in (the guy with his name on all the boards for winners - hes a good guy I hasten to add) have a shot - its goin to the crusher soon - ok - he picked up 3rounds - fill it up! - nah three is ok - I watched him load (unfamiliar gun so you watch) he fires one - ooh that kicks - nah dont kick - (how would a 44/40 with a standard pistol load kick?) - nuther shot - then another - he unloads caefully and hands it back safe - thanks - n off he goes --- now there is a kid watching all this (a young feller about 16 that liked ths look of my pistol) so we wander down range to take the targets down - as we approach we are both squinting at the clean target our friend shot at - looking for 44 callibre holes - cept they not there!! ---- our best club shooter has just clean missed the paper three times with my ole hogleg at 25 yards!!! my young mate has got this kinda bemused grin on him ---- well that is interesting - I said I guarantee if he hands me any of his guns the way he shoots em I will put it on paper - might not do well but .......... funny thing ..... the grip and stance coaching stopped right there!!

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 06:34:41 PM »
I'll throw my floppy hat into the ring. I've only ever shot duelist in sass, Wild Bunch or WASA matches, period. My WASA club matches are so small, 15 or so shooters, that we only list scores with no categories. The WB club does the same thing as only a dozen of Pike's gang show up but if I was at a good sized sass match I would be very upset to be grouped with two handed shooters. I would be less upset being grouped with younger duelists than modern shooters my age. Maybe before I die I will get to a GAF or NCOWS match but if I do yer dern tootin I'll be shootin the 'correct' goldern way. IM dagnabbit O, you whippersnappers ( thought I'd get into my Gabby 'pression).
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 07:07:58 PM »
As the name of this post is authenticity, I'd like to suggest our Originals class, I joined it for the
first time this year. It was very fun digging up history about my character, a buffalo hunter in 1875.
in this class you have to shoot 1 handed. We probably all realize that almost all pistol shooting in the
old west was 1 handed, but RCJ made a great point, that if we were to disallow 2 handed shooting
we could very well alienate a lot of our members. I have a smith & Wesson DA and a Merwin DA, that I
really don't feel comfortable/safe shooting 1 handed. Remember, we are a democratic organization, if
members don't like the rules WE can change them next March at the Congress meeting.

BTB  Senator
Born 110 years too late

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 07:30:27 PM »
Major 2. Howdy Sir.

Might I suggest that you read the back cover of nearly every Shootist magazine.

Are you saying that these comments are not directed at SASS:

Well sir. If those statements are not directed at SASS. I'll be a Dandy.

Now, I'm not defending SASS. They are a business that is in business to make money. Nothing wrong with that.

I still shoot with and belong to both groups.

Just think NCOWS should have higher standards.

IMHO

"Might I suggest that you read the back cover of nearly every Shootist magazine."

I do, and I often contribute articles ....

" Are you saying that these comments are not directed at SASS:

Never said anything of a sort ....Didn't write the ad nor do I think it was written to berate another discipline.

"I still shoot with and belong to both groups."  

that is cool ...

"Just think NCOWS should have higher standards  ."  

I agree ....
now having said that ....  I've mentioned I shoot duelist (single handed)

but I do not cast aspersions on anyone who chooses to use both hands ....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com