Author Topic: Something I've not seen before: Smith & Wesson  (Read 7368 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Something I've not seen before: Smith & Wesson
« on: October 12, 2017, 06:00:20 AM »
Gentlemen,  I found a Model 10-5 Smith & Wesson I'm using as a stand-in for an 1899.  Overall it's in great shape, but has an import mark, so I'm assuming it came back from somewhere overseas.  When I looked in the chambers, I noticed two "steps" instead of the usual one.  Sure enough, someone ran a .38 S & W reamer into it to convert it to that caliber.  I got into it reasonable enough it's not a big deal, as cylinders are everywhere, but just one more thing to look into when you're looking at used stuff.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Something I've not seen before: Smith & Wesson
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 06:06:30 AM »
So you're saying it was originally a 38 Colt?
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 07:36:22 AM »
Probably was in .38 Special, and reamed for .38S&W, or maybe the other way around, S&W reamed for Special. 38S&W is about .005-.006 larger diameter than Special. A lot of Victory models go that treatment, I think. Maybe this one was one of the guns that were sent to help England early in WWII, that actually came back home instead of getting melted after the war? Anyway, should shoot ok, but the cases will swell a little . But if you just dedicate some brass for that one gun you can neck size only to avoid overworking the brass.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:45:28 PM »

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 08:20:29 AM »
This one definitely started life as a .38 special.  My guess is it went somewhere the .38 S&W round is a lot more common.  Like I said, I'll just put a different cylinder in it.  It's sort of like converting 7.65 Mausers to .30-06, just run a chambering reamer in it and see what happens.  What could possible go wrong?!

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 09:06:44 AM »
If it was a Lend-Lease piece, the barrel will be 5", and it'll be chambered for .38-200 (.38 S&W).

It should also have smooth walnut grips, Proof Marks, a 'BNP' (Birmingham Nitro Proof) and possibly be marked 'Not English Made', as well.

Thousands were released post-WWII and many were rechambered in the more common US round - .38 S&W Special.

'If' it's in original condition and chambered for the British round, it's more collectible when left alone, and should be easy to swap for the ubiquitous Model 10 in like shape.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 09:22:40 AM »
This one is a Model 10-5.  My guess is it went to a foreign government where it got modified.  If it was a Victory Model I'd trade for something that suited me better.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 09:52:35 AM »
Or you could just shoot .38S&W in it.

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 10:15:38 AM »
Back in the day many of the revolvers made for the British during WW11 were brought back into the states originally chambered 38-200. The importers Service Armament, Hunters Lodge to name a few ran a 38 special reamer through the chambers. This was to enhance sales here in the States.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 10:30:15 PM »
Back in the day many of the revolvers made for the British during WW11 were brought back into the states originally chambered 38-200. The importers Service Armament, Hunters Lodge to name a few ran a 38 special reamer through the chambers. This was to enhance sales here in the States.

This wouldn't seem to make sense:  the British .380 service revolver cartridge and the .38S&W cartridge from which it was derived have a case diameter of .3865" just ahead of the rim, and .3855" at the case mouth, whereas the diameter of a .38Spl. cartridge case is .379' ....
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 06:21:45 AM »
This wouldn't seem to make sense:  the British .380 service revolver cartridge and the .38S&W cartridge from which it was derived have a case diameter of .3865" just ahead of the rim, and .3855" at the case mouth, whereas the diameter of a .38Spl. cartridge case is .379' ....

Correct....but the  .38special case is longer then the S&W/380 case. The reamer is to make the chamber long enough for .38spl to fully chamber. Resulting in a 2 step chamber, .3865 at the base, and .379 at the neck.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 07:16:15 AM »
This one has a two step chamber now, too.  It looks like they ran a .38 S & W reamer into the chambers so they'd chamber the fatter round.

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 12:10:39 PM »
Slug your bore. If it runs about .362 in the grooves the chamber was 38 S&W. If it runs .358 in the grooves the chamber it was .38 S&W Special.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 05:58:18 PM »
I suspect this was a .38/200 to start with, and was rechambered for .38 spl upon import back to the US.  It would still show the step in the chamber.  You can see a very slight step in my Colt New Service, originally a .455 Webly, rechambered to .45 Colt.  (British 1916 contract)

If this is a post ww1 revolver, it would have the .358 bore barrel regardless of chambering.  I would just go ahead and shoot it with .38 spl, you'll never notice it.  And you do have the extra flexibility of using .38 S&W if  you want, makes for better ejection.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 08:28:02 PM »
It's a Model 10-5, and according to the serial number search I found online, it's from 1966-1967, so it's the same excellent vintage as its new owner.  (Ahem..........)  The barrel marking is .38 S. & W. SPECIAL CTG.  When you look in the chambers you can tell it's definitely had a .38 S & W reamer run into them.  It was fairly crudely done, too.  I've already got a different cylinder on the way.  Like I said, just something else to look for when you're buying used guns!

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 08:39:26 PM »
I like .455s that have been rechambered into .45lc as it doesn't change the look of the revolver. The lc case rim goes slightly into the cylinder while the .455 case with the larger rim rests on the uncut face of the cylinder. You've just got to use at least .454 dia bullets in these old soldiers to get any accuracy.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 07:39:20 AM »
A tapered reamer perhaps.

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 10:12:33 AM »
I agree that it would be safe to shoot with either cartridge. 

Now, reloading that 38 Special brass would offer special challenges and shorten case life as well.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 03:43:15 PM »
You can find Model 10 cylinders on Gunbroker. I have a source that produced a mint condition cylinder with extractor for my Model 36 no dash. Let me dial back to find his site. Swaps are easy.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 04:10:27 PM »
I can always use another source for parts.  I've got a cylinder on the way, now.  While I'm at it, I'm going to change out the barrel, as well.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 08:14:50 AM »
This Smith continues to be something of an enigma.  I just noticed yesterday the mainspring tension screw head was ground down to blend in with the front strap.  To make a long story short, it looks as if the gun may have at one time been a square butt changed to a round butt.  If so, they did an exceptionally nice job of contouring the grip frame.  This thing gets "curiouser and curiouser"!  On the other hand, I installed an older sculpted hammer (post war) to go with an earlier look.  (I know, it's still not correct, but it looks better than the semi-target version it had.)  I put it in just to see how much fitting it would require, and presto, works perfectly, both single and double action!  Even a blind squirrel............

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com