Author Topic: Bladerunner 2049  (Read 5349 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bladerunner 2049
« on: October 10, 2017, 11:13:16 AM »
If you enjoyed the original "Bladerunner" movie, don't bother with the sequel. Long, tedious, boring, endless dark CGI depictions of a wasteland landscape, shallow characterizations, etc., etc. Two hours and forty-five minutes of film that doesn't live up to all the hype.

Remember the beautiful 'replicant' Rachel? And the mysterious Hispanic cop that left the origami animals lying around as a calling card? They both make cameo appearances.

Seems 'Rachel' and 'Deckard' got together in the Biblical sense and produced a pair of off spring. Rachel' was the prototype 'replicant' who could reproduce with a human. Now the hunt is on for the kids to study them and get the program running again.

I just gave you the gist of the movie. The rest is slow paced melodrama interspaced with a few intense action scenes in case you were falling asleep.

I give it two kernels out of five on the popcorn scale.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Bladerunner 2049
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 10:08:47 PM »
You left out the NASCAR level product placement. Outerwise, your review is 10 for 10.
Scouts Out!

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 100
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 07:04:41 AM »
I loved the first one and I must confess to a long standing crush on Joanna Cassidy.   I figured as much for the sequel.   Scott did the same when I did Prometheus as the prequel to Alien.   They should have stopped after Alien II, because in case they haven't been keeping track of current events, each one after Alien II got the a$$e$ kicked.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:19:42 PM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 10:57:37 AM »
There were a few other product placements as well.

You left out the NASCAR level product placement. Outerwise, your review is 10 for 10.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 11:09:45 AM »
I've got to agree with you there Mogorilla, I too have always had a crush on Joanna Cassidy. Haven't seen the new movie yet though. Hope PJ is wrong in his review. I have been tinkering around with a Deckard Blaster for awhile. I have a rebbled/ recylindered .455 to .357 New Service that functions and fires but is in terrible cosmetic shape that will be the donor. I put this together a few years ago. The grip frame is fairly close but all the crazy cowling has me stumped.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1215
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 01:52:31 PM »
I've been waiting for this one and the previews looked good (but they can make a good preview from most anything).  Just checked Rotten Tomatoes, and it gets good ratings there.  88% of critics gave it thumbs up and 83% of viewers, with an average of 4.2 out of 5.  I'll watch the DVD when Netflix gets it.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 06:54:17 PM »
If you ,enjoyed "Bladerunner", this one will disappoint you. I kept expecting it to get better as the movie progressed, but it stayed flat for the most part of 2-3/4 hours.

Just like "Dunkirk", it never gets beyond intimate closeups and shallow dialogue. A few action scenes, a lot of high tech gimmickry and endless post-apocalyptic devastation.

You'll need a BIG bag of popcorn just to stay awake.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 100
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 04:04:01 PM »
Baltimore Ed, you will have let us know when it is complete.   Looks like a neat project.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 04:56:39 PM »
I like to quote Sgt Apone, 'nobody touch nothin'. Always good advice. And 'another glorious day in the Corps, where every march is a parade and every meals a banquet '.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 03:34:58 AM »
I never could see all the praise for the original Bladerunner, even. I know it's covered in accolades and mythic legend. I enjoyed it but that's all. Perversely, I am looking forward to the sequel. Everyone who has seen it, who's opinion I respect say it is a great movie. We will see.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 06:45:12 AM »
I've got to agree with you there Mogorilla, I too have always had a crush on Joanna Cassidy. Haven't seen the new movie yet though. Hope PJ is wrong in his review. I have been tinkering around with a Deckard Blaster for awhile. I have a rebbled/ recylindered .455 to .357 New Service that functions and fires but is in terrible cosmetic shape that will be the donor. I put this together a few years ago. The grip frame is fairly close but all the crazy cowling has me stumped.

The crazy cowling is a Steyr-Mannlicher Model .222 SL receiver mounted to a Charter Arms .44 police bulldog double-action revolver.
Double triggers & Amber Grips , then there are LED lights.

http://props.steinschneider.com/brblaster/bldrpics01.htm
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 06:04:27 PM »
I never could see all the praise for the original Bladerunner, even. I know it's covered in accolades and mythic legend. I enjoyed it but that's all. Perversely, I am looking forward to the sequel. Everyone who has seen it, who's opinion I respect say it is a great movie. We will see.

The original "Bladerunner" had several interesting characters and you got to see the "human" side of the replicants. It also gave a better look into the pre-apocalyptic, futuristic world of the era and some of it's zany people.

And who didn't develop a crush on the beautiful "Rachel" whose only flaw was that she smoked? That knocked her down from a surefire '10' to a solid '9'.

Let us know your impression of the sequel.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 07:31:23 PM »
Bladerunner (with Deckard's internal dialogue) is a film with so many layers. It's a solid sci fi, a love story, a film noir mystery with great special effects that don't overwhelm the viewer, a cast of intriguing characters, I would also add the atmospherics as a character too. And it tells a pretty good story about a very bleak future. It's a unique retelling of Frankinstein if you will but with a whole lot more. The film is an acquired taste, Deckard's violence towards the replicants is over the top while their violence towards humans while gross is subdued or off camera. And Rachel was indeed a smokin hottie. Can't wait to see 2049. Bladerunner and Aliens are my favorite sci fi films with Predator third. The into the jungle helo scene became my favorite Little Richard song.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 10:17:27 PM »
Bladerunner (with Deckard's internal dialogue) is a film with so many layers. It's a solid sci fi, a love story, a film noir mystery with great special effects that don't overwhelm the viewer, a cast of intriguing characters, I would also add the atmospherics as a character too. And it tells a pretty good story about a very bleak future. It's a unique retelling of Frankinstein if you will but with a whole lot more. The film is an acquired taste, Deckard's violence towards the replicants is over the top while their violence towards humans while gross is subdued or off camera. And Rachel was indeed a smokin hottie. Can't wait to see 2049. Bladerunner and Aliens are my favorite sci fi films with Predator third. The into the jungle helo scene became my favorite Little Richard song.

Best movie line ever. "I ain't got time ta bleed!"

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 11:21:26 AM »
Strangely, my one disappointment with the original "Bladerunner" was Deckard's gun. It was such a cobbled together mish mash of odd parts that it was laughable. The movie armourer wasn't really trying or had the equivalent of a 'bad hair day'.

Form follows function in all engineering and mechanical devices. Deckard's gun did not meet the critieria for functionality.

The crazy cowling is a Steyr-Mannlicher Model .222 SL receiver mounted to a Charter Arms .44 police bulldog double-action revolver.
Double triggers & Amber Grips , then there are LED lights.

http://props.steinschneider.com/brblaster/bldrpics01.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com