Author Topic: Trigger Issue 1873 Rifle  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Charles B Gatewood

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Trigger Issue 1873 Rifle
« on: March 11, 2018, 05:10:43 PM »
First, I have sent an email to the smith that built this rifle and am waiting on his reply, but wanted to see what the thoughts were here.

This rifle is about 2 years old, 18", 357/38, 3rd gen, straight trigger, safety in place with wire safety spring. I run it in 3-4 matches a month and 4-5 live fire practices a month.

Yesterday at practice I loaded 10 rounds and ran it without issue, until right after, I levered it to make sure it was empty and the trigger stuck all the way back and wouldn't move forward. Later I took it apart and the first thing I saw was the trigger spring had come off the lip it rests on and the safety bar was retracted and wouldn't reset. I disassembled the entire hammer and trigger group looking for any breakage and really didn't see anything obvious other than the trigger spring had a slight bend in it.
Cleaned and reassembled, ran 30 dummies through it without a hitch. So this morning took it out and ran 10 single shots though it, no issue. Loaded 10 and ran a dump, after the tenth round the trigger stuck again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
CBG

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Trigger Issue 1873 Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 10:38:51 AM »
Having had some experience with the 73 and it's inner workings, my knee jerk is a wear problem with your after-market straight trigger.  There should also be no "slight bend" in the Trigger Spring.  If it has a bend, the bend shortens the spring's reach.  If the spring comes off the trigger, possible to jam the trigger tight.  However, I would be real curious about the travel in the trigger.  My first thought is still a wear problem with the trigger.  If the trigger is worn and travels too far to the rear, it will also allow the spring to drop off.  My initial suggestion is to replace the after-market straight trigger.  If the trigger has been in the gun for two years, there probably son't be any warranty.  Fair wear and tear.

Offline Charles B Gatewood

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 11:32:27 AM »
Coffinmaker,
Thank you for your insight! I appreciate it.
Your instinct was correct. The smith knew right off the problem was over travel in the trigger and will be sending a new trigger. He has seen this happen with straight trigger and came up with a solution.

Again thank you for the response!

CBG

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:21:43 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com