Author Topic: Extra Heavy barrel 45/75 rebarrel .  (Read 18073 times)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: Extra Heavy barrel 45/75 rebarrel .
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2018, 11:00:27 PM »

Yep
Know exactly what you mean - I shot my 38/55 a few days ago, started out as an experiment with breech seating that didnt work out and ended with "well lets just see what we can do with normal fixed ammo (black of course)"  - I fired three, rested 100yards,  they were in the black but my scope is not good enough to see em properly - so I strolled up for a look and I had three shots in an inch - ooooh nice - a couple more in there would look real pretty! the next two were close to one another but it spread my group to about two and a half inches - so that little break took me from spectacular (for me) to "thats a nice group for steel sights".
Have to confess I have been pretty much a sceptic about some of the claims for small groups with non scoped sights - here and other places - but - the further away I get from scoped shooting the more possible those claims seem.       

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2018, 03:59:14 PM »
My apologies for getting off topic God knows I drift off often ,  Sorry Grizz . Shooting this EHB only one time at the bench I cant say yet that it is the most accurate open sight rifle that I have , but never have I  had the others shoot a group as well as this one . It has a crisp 3lb. trigger , very slick action , weighs 12.5 lb. Heavy up front , good  target sights and the stocks fit me to a "t" , the barrel is a work of art . Again Winchester barrels made an exceptional  barrel for me . And to be clear I have nothing to gain by saying that , they just do a good job and saying it is just fact . The brass that is once fired has been cleaned re-loaded with 1.5 gr. increase in powder and the neck tension being less than before is all that was changed . I did load 10 cartridges with new brass exactly like the load that shot the best 10 shot group of the day in pic. with rifle . That load deserves to be tried more for sure . I look forward to getting to know this EHB rifle on the bench . So far the first outing with it has left me very hopeful . ,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2018, 09:52:35 PM »
Dusty
Time is getting away on us all hey . I got my long staff for the marbles sight a couple weeks ago - dang thing was wobbly on the base - not happy at all - I pulled it apart to see whats up and three little balls missing out of the base assembly - hate sending stuff back so I called the Brownells guy and they gonna send some balls - then I decided to adapt a short staff pedersoli sight over - hadda make a new base for that - still got no windage adjustment - so started in on making a dovetail slide sos I could have windage on it - %$&@*& --------lets start again here so I put all that stuff in a pile and ended up scratch built a soule style backsight for the 76 - pleased with it for a first effort - its a bit rugged in places compared to the pro ones but it works and no slack in it anyplace ....
Sooooo out for my first test this morning - at 200yards with the LEE 500grain boolit - I set the bar at 2MOA - If we can do that we not doin so bad - fired one fouler - then one sighter was twenty inches low - thats four full turns of elevation screw - let three go at that and we in the black - about two inches sideways and four inches vertical -----my target was on about a thirty degree angle to the line of shot (couldnt see it otherwise!!!) ----will do three and maybe four hundred tomorrow morning if the weather holds for it.

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 04:15:57 AM »

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2018, 07:25:53 AM »
Greyhawk that's looking good . Now that you have enough tang sight for testing the heavy pointy bullet , I'm anxious to see how much you will have to come up for 3 and 4 hundred . Makes me want to get out shooting . ,,, DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2018, 08:45:39 PM »
Dusty
Elevation screw on that sight is 40TPI - so roughly 2.5 MOA per turn - I came up 13 turns from 200 to 400 this morning
6and a half turns was about right for 200 to 300 but the same again put me low at 400

targets below
300 was ok,  same deal as before - one fouler, one sighter, change settings then shoot five

400 (I cleaned before I shot) one fouler, one sighter, change settings and shoot five - the four in the pic are not so bad but I lost one in the frame and that made a two foot spread of it - this is what the gurus on the cast boolit forum say about that LEE 500 - a bit of wind and you loose stability - I dunno - coulda been me easy enough - I slowed down some between shots - one long blow -
Have a friend gonna donate me a handful of postell boolits to try and I also need to just shoot my normal case loaded rounds to compare - nice shooting weather and I gotta work !!!! 
I am about on that 2MOA spread that I set myself at the start - sorta wonder can I do any better anyway ? .....we can always do better eh!  trying for 500 later in the week and will post it .
cheers
greyhawk

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2018, 06:49:15 AM »
How are Ya liking the tang sight ? Heard Don say the Lee 500 looses it around that range , so you can bet it does  , but looks like your load is getting it there for the most part .Hope Ya some luck with the postell bullets  . Can relate to the cant shoot when conditions are right . Working on this house No Wind just Heat and Humidity , go to the range wind is Howling . Good Shooting ,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2018, 05:20:48 PM »
Yeah Dusty - am enjoying the tang sight - I had the adjustable eyepiece in my parts bin for ages but carved the base and windage adjustable staff out of a piece of metal in my workshop - no profit in that the time it took but a lot of satisfaction. (needs a couple little tweaks yet)
My mates came yesterday and I got a few lyman postell, a few of the lyman roundnose 457125, and a few of the lyman 490 snover 457671- that last one I like the look of best (I am just a sucker for pointy boolits I think!) but it is a gas check shank and I am seriously tempted to turn the gascheck off it.
All those boolits hauling a lot less lube than the LEE so I have my fingers crossed they will shoot ok without cleaning each shot.................maybe I should get over that idea!! :-\ if I cleaned each shot would get me around the other problem of that magazine stringing shots vertical. 
It would really be a treat to get this 76 shooting good enough to be competitive and I reckon the barrel has the potential to do it.
I appreciate your interest and encouragement with this .
cheers
Greyhawk

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2018, 11:59:19 PM »
How are Ya liking the tang sight ? Heard Don say the Lee 500 looses it around that range , so you can bet it does  , but looks like your load is getting it there for the most part .Hope Ya some luck with the postell bullets  . Can relate to the cant shoot when conditions are right . Working on this house No Wind just Heat and Humidity , go to the range wind is Howling . Good Shooting ,,,DT

Dusty
Its been a while - I have been hangin out over at the other forum trying to figure out loads and stuff -
The Lyman 535 Postell shot good but I dont have the mold - Don and the others that canned the LEE boolit were right it seems - that one shoots ok if its calm but a bit of wind sends it haywire (only in the last fifty or hundred yards I reckon) - I shot a five shot group at 500 the other day that was ten inches by eight but three of em tumbled into it!
Anyway I'm passing this on because I know you have that LEE mold and heres what I did -, I chucked a dozen of em in my lathe and turned the tip off - just a bit - put a flat on it about .215 across - the boolit shortened from 1.408 to 1.298 - Went out in the wind today and shot at 300 and 500 - all holes were round in the target - vertical was inside 8 inches but the wind strung me out sideways about thirty inches - I wasnt trying to read it or make allowances - just held centre and shot into whatever blew - it was pretty stiff but gusting too and switching around from SW to SE (I shot due south)
I'm thinking I will make a file die for this - would only take a few swipes with a file to get it and I reckon it will make that boolit from problem child into shootable - those big lube grooves are a major attraction to me - the other thing is I didnt hardly lose any elevation setting with it - shoots noticebaly flatter to 500 than anything else I have shot.
Anyway just thought this might be some use to you for the heavy barrel gun .
Greyhawk

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2018, 06:06:35 AM »
Thanks for the info Greyhawk , what I gather from your test shooting , is that with the right bullet your Uberti 45-75 can shoot @ 500yd. I look forward to seeing your progress as you go. Myself in the middle of moving home and shop has temporarily put a halt to my shooting /testing . ,,,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2018, 09:46:55 PM »
Thanks for the info Greyhawk , what I gather from your test shooting , is that with the right bullet your Uberti 45-75 can shoot @ 500yd. I look forward to seeing your progress as you go. Myself in the middle of moving home and shop has temporarily put a halt to my shooting /testing . ,,,,,DT

Yeah Dusty  I am convinced - anyway it will be fun wringing the best I can out of it - its all just getting better as it goes - I am using federal primers and have the mainspring soft - trigger is darn nice right now - the barrel is slick and shiney and a breeze to clean - quite a few little tweaks along the way but its coming together I reckon.
Feel for you on the moving - we been here since 1980 - and theres plenty of room - the thought of trying to move all my stuff ............. my son was a removalists offsider for a couple years and I did a few jobs running trolleys for them - you cant take it all with ya.
All the best with it
Greyhawk

Offline Sarge

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2018, 11:56:09 PM »
DT,

Envy is a sin, therefore, I have sinned regarding your rifle. That EHB is OUTSTANDING! Can you say the comparison differences of specs between the EHB and regular barreled rifle: barrel weight, barrel dimensions, overall weight difference, etc. Any idea how many of these left the factory with this EHB originally?

Respectfully,

Sarge

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2018, 07:49:02 AM »
Glad you like it Sarge , I feel lucky to have it  . I will look up the info you ask about , not at my home now . The EXHB 76 is a pleasure to shoot its actually heavier than my Heavy Sharps , and the springs and trigger are some of the best and  slickest that I have . I wittled out the stocks so they fit me to a 'T'    I look forward to learning to shoot this one after this  home moving is complete  . ,,,,,DT

Offline Sarge

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2018, 12:10:14 PM »
Don't like it, Love it. There is something about heavy and bull barreled old rifle, in fact this may be my next endeavor, need a EHB lever to go with my heavy and bull barreled sharps. What's your thoughts on installing a EHB on a Uberti 76 or try and scrounge enough Winchester parts to build one?

Sarge

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2018, 02:30:59 PM »
Sarge a parts build can get expensive  but doable .  Upgrading a Uberti with a EHB would be a good choice . The EHB guns whether Sharps ,  Winchester or any other just have a look about them that's appealing to me also . Yrs back I let a EHB 76 slip away that I wish I had a chance at again , it was an original 76 that had been re-barreled with a very heavy octagon barrel and was chambered for .50 - 70 -300 . The old rifle had seen some real use and had the scares to prove it , but a beauty she was . ,,,DT

Offline Sarge

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2018, 04:13:01 PM »
Any rifle crank I know has some form of rifle regret, we all live with it.
I can see where that one would cause alot of sellers remorse. 50-70 you say, sounds interesting, don,t suppose you would have a picture of it?

Sarge

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2018, 04:39:58 PM »
No picture , wish I did have one . Didn't sell it , just watched it for sale to long and let it get away . At the time I only wanted untouched  original rifles , and this one had a unknown barrel make on it . Given the same chance to purchase it today , I would grab it in a flash. Evidently it was made for a rifleman who knew what he wanted . The seller said he loaded and shot it with 300 gr. bullets and it fed and shot very well , sounds like a buffalo killer for sure . ,,,,,DT

Offline Sarge

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2018, 05:25:51 PM »
DT, Many thanks, you have PM.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2019, 11:19:44 AM »
Was happy and surprised  today to see that Winchesterbarrels has used a picture of my old Extra Heavy barrel 1876 Winchester for their Home cover photo . They do very good work , this EXH barrel  45-75 wcf along with the 50-95 wcf Half round barrel they made for me are top notch / best quality . I would recommend there service's to anyone needing a replacement barrel . ,,,DT

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2019, 11:44:19 AM »
That's really cool!  Here's the link for the computer illiterate: https://www.winchesterbarrels.com/

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2019, 09:56:15 AM »
That's really cool!  Here's the link for the computer illiterate: https://www.winchesterbarrels.com/

CC Griff
                                        Thank's CCG  for posting the link . I am computer illiterate and did not know how or I would have posted it myself . I seem to be picture posting illiterate also because I cant post pictures anymore . I can still shoot a decent group for and old half blind half cripple Bp. shooter . Yesterday I sat down with the EHB 1876 Win. 45-75 and boy did it feel good squeezing off on that big boomer . The wind was very light the sun was at my back about 2 oclock , sight's on the target was good . I did not shoot my best ( lack of focus)  , my fault not the gun ,  load or condition's. The rifle load combo shoot's so well that even my sub - par performance didn't show so bad on the target at the end of the shoot . I don't know if other's feel this way about shooting , but some day's are good and some not so good . The one thing that stay's steady and   I rely on is muscle memory . I think that over the yr's of practice on the bench shooting you can gain a shooting technique that allow's the shooter to recover a shot that may have broke bad . I for one can call a shot good or bad before looking at the target and sometime's the shot is better than I thought . I think that is when the muscle memory ,form and  technique comes into play .  Only hr's on the bench shooting can hone this skill . Like old Pop would say to me so very often . You have to pay your due's son .  Good Shooting ,,,DT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com