Author Topic: Extra Heavy barrel 45/75 rebarrel .  (Read 18069 times)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: Extra Heavy barrel 45/75 rebarrel .
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 04:54:39 PM »
Thank You Mr. Pinto Beans ,   fixins for some range testing  .,,,,DT

DT ---- you are seriously dedicated - original loading tool and boolit mold as well!!!!!

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 05:33:46 PM »
This bullet cast from the original mould has performed great for me in every 45/75 so far , and this one should not be any different . It has a Winchester cut chamber 1x22"ROT , same rifling as an original just new !
  The tong tool is perfect for my style of shooting , if you have used one you know how simple and effective they are . I can set at my bench , load and shoot load and shoot at a pace that I enjoy .Going to try my standard load for my other 45/75 as a starting point and go from there . Lets burn some powder  ,,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 04:44:17 PM »
Rust and card  , rust and card . getting some color on the barrel .Not sure what I'll do with the receiver yet . Thinking real hard on doing the same and going for the well used look .  That should be easy . ,,,DT

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:40:48 PM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 05:46:35 PM »
Oh boy, that looks good, Dusty!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 03:10:21 PM »
Thanks CCG it's been fun bringing this one back . Hope it shoots as good as I am expecting it to .  ,,,DT

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2018, 05:45:45 PM »
Thanks CCG...

I somehow dropped a word in my last post.  "That good" made me sound like I don't speak English. ::)  I meant, "That looks good."  I'm glad that you apparently understood me anyway.  It certainly does look good.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2018, 10:35:39 PM »
Thanks CCG it's been fun bringing this one back . Hope it shoots as good as I am expecting it to .  ,,,DT

Hey Fellas
My Lyman front sight is almost here - in the hands of the other half - fit it tonight - have some rounds loaded - so burn some powder tomorrow - weather permitting - (perfect shooting day gone today - should be good tomorrow morning at least) - have carefully loaded some 407 grain flatpoint (the modified LEE mold) - weighed em up this time !
Have to give Brownells Australia a bit of a cheer here (and the postal service - grudgingly!) - only made the order friday afternoon and we got it monday morning ...............
More tomorrow
Greyhawk

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2018, 06:20:03 AM »
Wow that was quick . Are you dealing with bad winds ? Hope to get some shooting in this wk. myself March is a windy month here in Tx. Mornings are best before the wind gets up . Good shooting .,,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 05:55:24 AM »
Wow that was quick . Are you dealing with bad winds ? Hope to get some shooting in this wk. myself March is a windy month here in Tx. Mornings are best before the wind gets up . Good shooting .,,,,DT

Yeah been crap weather for winds here - good day yesterday and ok today - posted my shoot results over on the other thread (loading data) - its starting to come together - more to do - bruised my shoulder this morning - too low down on the bench with that crescent buttplate  :-\
Thanks for the encouragement along the way.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018, 06:06:30 AM »
Wind has been very bad here , hope to get some shooting in this wk. The 405;s have a bit of recoil for sure . I Thank you also for relaying your progress . Very good to hear others results . I am sure others here are following and have the same interest  .,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2018, 06:55:33 PM »
Wind has been very bad here , hope to get some shooting in this wk. The 405;s have a bit of recoil for sure . I Thank you also for relaying your progress . Very good to hear others results . I am sure others here are following and have the same interest  .,,,DT

Dusty
I just posted shoot results over in load data - that 500 grain LEE did reall well
The cold barrel thing got me again and it seems like its consistent with this rifle
Something to think about for your heavy barrel build ?
Walking shots up the target as the barrel warms is a common enough problem with magazine rifles - some do it - some dont - I think Paco Kelly did some work on accurising lever actions and isolating the magazine from the barrel was one of his better tricks.
I struggled with making and properly fitting the front barrel band so I went the belt and braces approach and I made a collar that fits neat over the tube and engages tightly inside the forend cap - if you fit this up neat it stops forward movement of the tube - I have a short barrel / full magazine 92 with no front hanger at all - its solid as a rock - have made this magazine tube collar for a couple of 92 - silver soldered onto the tube - dont know what the inside of the 76 cap looks like but assuming it is designed same or similar and there would be space to do this - theres no spare space in there on a 92 but it works. Not a problem with a button magazine (half length mag) but I dont like them much - prefer full length tubes.   So if it was me building that heavy barrel gun I would sneak that tube collar in as a magazine anchor and I would fit the front band a little loose into the barrel so its just a hanger rather than taking the force of recoil as a retainer would - might make a difference to how she shoots ? might not either. Couple of pics below of my 92 - the collar is protruding through the nose cap - a bit untidy but that cap has been monkeyed with till theres not much of it left.     

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2018, 08:05:11 AM »
A Paco Kelly fan myself , nice job on the 92 .  All good points about the magazine tube affecting accuracy . On this particular rifle I have replaced the barrel and wood only . Not wanting to change or modify the original parts . The amount of fitting / metal removal of parts only amounted to very small burr's removed , not much more . WinchesterBarrels did a great job duplicating this barrel. Even down to the little magazine tube hanger pin fitting just in the right place . I think the Extra Heavy barrel will be stiff enough to shoot well  (if I can ever get away from this house rebuild)  will find out . Its like getting to try a new 1876 EHB gun for accuracy  or what the rifle could do way back when . The tube fit at the forearm cap , is snug but smooth as new going through , the magazine hanger / tube fit is not tight when the tube is in place .  I made the forearm fit on receiver and cap nice and snug , but the wood under the barrel is lightly touching the barrel . I also stabilized the inside of the forearm magazine tube hole in the wood with a heat activated epoxy coating . This is a very thin forearm , thought this may help keep the chance of the wood cracking at a minimum . Note most of my leverguns that have a loose fitting forearm seem to shoot the best . ,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2018, 09:28:36 AM »
A Paco Kelly fan myself , nice job on the 92 .  All good points about the magazine tube affecting accuracy . On this particular rifle I have replaced the barrel and wood only . Not wanting to change or modify the original parts . The amount of fitting / metal removal of parts only amounted to very small burr's removed , not much more . WinchesterBarrels did a great job duplicating this barrel. Even down to the little magazine tube hanger pin fitting just in the right place . I think the Extra Heavy barrel will be stiff enough to shoot well  (if I can ever get away from this house rebuild)  will find out . Its like getting to try a new 1876 EHB gun for accuracy  or what the rifle could do way back when . The tube fit at the forearm cap , is snug but smooth as new going through , the magazine hanger / tube fit is not tight when the tube is in place .  I made the forearm fit on receiver and cap nice and snug , but the wood under the barrel is lightly touching the barrel . I also stabilized the inside of the forearm magazine tube hole in the wood with a heat activated epoxy coating . This is a very thin forearm , thought this may help keep the chance of the wood cracking at a minimum . Note most of my leverguns that have a loose fitting forearm seem to shoot the best . ,,,DT

I'm enjoying that 92 - thats the 38/40 I converted up from 32/20 - 26 inch barrel - its a nice shooter - I put a paper thin magazine tube on it and short forend - its a good sized rifle but it feels light and slim in the hand.
Sounds like you have all bases covered with the EHB gun - that one is gonna be something else to shoot - wish I could come spot for you the first couple sessions
I dont want to mess with my Uberti any more than it needs - just a matter of shooting it enough to get used to what it does . 

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2018, 04:38:10 PM »
Today I found enough time to get the EHB 1876 Win. to the bench. The first load tested after 4 shots , I could tell the rifle did not shoot them very well. But they did serve as to get my sights on paper and foul my bore . The next load was the exact same as the first in case primer bullet and lube , the only difference was 1 one grain more Swiss powder. The load - .352 gr. cast from Win. bullet mould @ .458 as cast , with WW . Lube SPG , WLR primer , Jamisom case , 64.5 gr. by weight Swiss 2ff seated with Win, tong tool. Barrel was fouled by the first 5 shot load . Range was 100 yd. light cross wind 5/10 mph. sand bags using the rear tang . Single loaded the rifle each shot . Was only shooting for group and did waste any shots on windage . Here is the pic's of the first 3 shots then at 5 shots and then at 10 shots @100 yds' This rifle shot very easy did not have much recoil at all , and I have not done any bench shooting in months . Was happy with the results to say the least . Looks like this EHB will be a shooter ! ,,,,,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2018, 06:27:15 PM »
Today I found enough time to get the EHB 1876 Win. to the bench. The first load tested after 4 shots , I could tell the rifle did not shoot them very well. But they did serve as to get my sights on paper and foul my bore . The next load was the exact same as the first in case primer bullet and lube , the only difference was 1 one grain more Swiss powder. The load - .352 gr. cast from Win. bullet mould @ .458 as cast , with WW . Lube SPG , WLR primer , Jamisom case , 64.5 gr. by weight Swiss 2ff seated with Win, tong tool. Barrel was fouled by the first 5 shot load . Range was 100 yd. light cross wind 5/10 mph. sand bags using the rear tang . Single loaded the rifle each shot . Was only shooting for group and did waste any shots on windage . Here is the pic's of the first 3 shots then at 5 shots and then at 10 shots @100 yds' This rifle shot very easy did not have much recoil at all , and I have not done any bench shooting in months . Was happy with the results to say the least . Looks like this EHB will be a shooter ! ,,,,,,,DT

Wow !! Dont ya just love it when a plan works out - that was worth the wait !
Are You blow tubing this load or is the SPG on that boolit good enough to just shoot?
Still stalled out on thepointy boolit project this end - customs has got the Brownells shipment still .

Seein that you wished me luck for the Easter shoot - that plan worked too - I messed up in the percussion shoot - shot ordinary in the long range - nailed the Flintlock Trophy - and as a bonus I lucked onto a good condition original mold for the 38-40 cheap.
 Target below  13 shots ten to count, offhand @75 yards, no spotting scopes, no practice, load off the body - shot 84 for a clear win on the day.     

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2018, 06:39:13 PM »
First , Congratulations on some fine shooting Greyhawk , sounds like you had a great day . The SPG did very well , had a lube star going after 3 shots  humidity today about 60%, , did blow one long breath after each shot , just habit I think . Now that the brass is starting to form going to up the powder charge a grain or so . So far this barrel is great . Clean-up was two wet patch and a dry , easiest I ever seen . ,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2018, 07:15:34 PM »
First , Congratulations on some fine shooting Greyhawk , sounds like you had a great day . The SPG did very well , had a lube star going after 3 shots  humidity today about 60%, , did blow one long breath after each shot , just habit I think . Now that the brass is starting to form going to up the powder charge a grain or so . So far this barrel is great . Clean-up was two wet patch and a dry , easiest I ever seen . ,,DT

Thanks ! Yeah I had a good weekend - had my son along - or he had me along - we camp semi primitive (= kinda rough!) Good company - some campfire stories -

60% humidity - I reckon one blow is about right - maybe dont even need it - here its usually drier than that - my sharps needs it every shot - the 76 will run ok with one into the action after every five in standup shooting - on the bench I blow every shot. The serious guys out here are all gone paper patch - all except one - the best of the best at the moment and they tell me he is still shooting grease boolits - clean between shots tho ----I think that system settles some shooters down -- theres a huge amount of mind stuff in good shooting and I reckon most fellers dont take enough account of that.

No shooting today here -- windy and hot
Well - good to see that big 76 going well ! Keep us posted eh.   

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2018, 01:27:08 AM »

My Uberti cleans about like that - I use a flush bottle between patches - usually the water runs clear after the second patch - then dry it out - its a breeze really.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2018, 12:32:48 PM »
I agree a slick /smooth barrel is a breeze to clean after a shooting session with good lube lead bullets and Bp.  When I hear guy's say (Not me to messy) , I think they only have heard this and are repeating what they have heard ,  or if they have tried Bp. they have used the wrong cleaning method . I spent many yrs shooting Smokeless and copper jacketed bullets in very good high power rifles , and can say with confidence that the cleanup that these same fellows that are describing  Bp. is to messy , well the cleanup that the firearms they are shooting are far more troublesome to clean than my Bp. cartridge rifles .,,,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2018, 06:32:46 PM »
Thanks ! Yeah I had a good weekend - had my son along - or he had me along - we camp semi primitive (= kinda rough!) Good company - some campfire stories -

60% humidity - I reckon one blow is about right - maybe dont even need it - here its usually drier than that - my sharps needs it every shot - the 76 will run ok with one into the action after every five in standup shooting - on the bench I blow every shot. The serious guys out here are all gone paper patch - all except one - the best of the best at the moment and they tell me he is still shooting grease boolits - clean between shots tho ----I think that system settles some shooters down -- theres a huge amount of mind stuff in good shooting and I reckon most fellers dont take enough account of that.

No shooting today here -- windy and hot
Well - good to see that big 76 going well ! Keep us posted eh.                 I  am in full agreement with that statement (there's a huge amount of mind stuff in good shooting ) my best days like the one I had a couple days ago , are when I have a routine that I go through before and after every shot and if it is not interrupted  , then what I get is my best . Most times if that  rhythm is broken  due to outside distraction ,( another shooter wanting to yack or line break) , I can see the results in my group . Was discussing this the other day with another shooter shooting a scoped rifle . He could not understand how a person can shoot tight groups with no magnification . That's where mental focus muscle memory doing the same thing as close as one can each and every time and having (rifle /load combo that is accurate and reliable ) the repeated  rhythm makes small groups possible . Bottom line is your equipment must be accurate , but the shooting is all up to you .,,,DT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com