Author Topic: The pumpkin spice everything month coffee thread.  (Read 61320 times)

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
Re: The pumpkin spice everything month coffee thread.
« Reply #160 on: October 20, 2017, 06:44:54 AM »
It is my long weekend (I get every other Friday off), and I woke early to enjoy the time off.  Actually, I was awakened early by thunder and lightning.....looks like indoor activities for a while.  I opened the gun safe and took out the '51 Colt copy, and filled in the slot on the hammer with JB Weld.  The caps sometimes "extrude" into the slot and stick to the hammer.  Around lunch, I should be able to work the hammer face smooth.  Hopefully, the result will be improved reliability. 
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2017, 11:54:00 AM »

Give Mexican Music a listen to. It is polka with a western swing.

Mexican polka we call it.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #162 on: October 20, 2017, 03:27:55 PM »
Just reading thru Fox News... best line of the day

All hat, no cattle! Sanders re: Rep Wilson... i love it

Additional :

For those of us that can still remember the 70's  it was 40 years ago today
The Free Bird Crashed in Mississippi

http://www.charliedaniels.com/soap-box

Mathew 5.9

Advertising

« Reply #163 on: Today at 06:19:02 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #163 on: October 21, 2017, 05:41:33 AM »
The strains of "Free Bird " were haunting.
 At the time,  I was not all that about Lynyrd Skynyrd,  country rock was not my cup.

Free Bird changed that in me...  it,  and songs like Harrison's "As my Guitar gently weeps " and Segar's " Against the Wind "
are still favorite's to me....
these songs  and Morrison's " Light my Fire "  and  Phil Collins - "In The Air Tonight"  and several of Bee Gee's tunes  all still move me.

add in  " El Paso " by Marty Robbins and ''Ghost Riders in the Sky "  by (well just about any artist ) and you have my ALBUM !

It amazes me it's been 40 years !

old rockers  ;D  still the best
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #164 on: October 21, 2017, 06:41:30 AM »
That's a pretty good list, Major. "Against the wind" has always been a favorite of mine.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #165 on: October 21, 2017, 09:02:56 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee is hot.

'Tis 57 and partly cloudy. High of 72.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: October 21, 2017, 11:22:23 AM »
Thanks for the coffee today.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #167 on: October 21, 2017, 05:10:34 PM »
Welll .... damn.

short ( is it posssible from me ?) background:
In the ongoing battle with mice and packrats, I was slowly gaining ground ....

House is built on a mild slope, in the semi-rural cedar , pin-oak, and piney woods on the eastern slopes of the Sandia foothills
east of ABQ. I have had to concrete and wire mesh over any openings to keep the little visitors out of the crawlspaces...as well as the "gentle zephyrs" up to 50 mph.  Prior to Mrs Marvels; back surgery / double fusion in mid-july I had imrovements made for easier walking.

Had the rickety lumber front porch/deck torn out, a new level and smooth concrete porch poured and had the gravel drive redone and a concrete apron and pad poured in front of the 2 car garage, with a gentle sloping concrete sidewalk leading seamlessly to the
new concrete porch.

This was a major improvement as it removed habitat for the entire zoo of critters trying to live ( and die) under the porch, some of whom were tunneling their way into the largest ( but shallowest) crawlspace.

Until October I was enjoying the aroma-free happiness therein ... theeeen the stink started leaking into the Master BR closet...

Ok. tear out the baseboards, caulk & seal the ( massive) floor-to-wall gaps, stopping the smellification. But something got into
or got trapped in the crawlspace ....

In the event you have never dealt with them, packrats are,  well ... remarkable ... critters.

If there is a plus side -
they are cute as hell. When I catch one in the live trap ( baited with peanut butter), I swear the look they give me is
        "more please?" 
like the pet rats or hamsters my friends have.
When they find some shiny screws they want, the ones here don't steal them, they trade - I have left shiny plated screws on the porch table overnight (dumb)  and found a mound of fresh pinion nuts the next morning.

On the downside -
They have a natural aroma that they further imbue in their nests  that is beyond powerful ...
a live packrat nest has a stomach-wretching stench that would make you think something died in there ...
They burrow and chew their way thru dirt and wood and... most anything but concrete.
They "acquire" stuff that they find pretty .
they bite thru house and car wiring
They can get into walls like mice and rats and then die .... and smell worse

I usually live trap cuz their so big and relocate them ~ 15=20 miles away to where there are snakes and raptors and foxes & etc..

Sooooo ... down into the crawlspace, 8 feet high at one end and 2 feet high at the other. That why it's called a crawlspace.
Live trapped & relocated one small-to medium size rat. took him 7 miles away to where I relocated a baby rattlesnake.
Hey , it's the Circle of Life, right?

I "suited up" and got my gloves and Gasmask ( possible hanta virus you know) and several 1000 lumen flashlights and rakes and
garby bags and went in . Yup, they pulled down the insulation and built a huge nest in the 2' section. And dragged lots of catcus in to place ALL OVER the crawlspace. 

I got most of the 2000 sq ft space raked out, got the contamintated insulation torn out & bagged, & the nest and 3 corpses (gag).
got all that bagged up & disposed. Set strong mouse and rat snap traps ( I had one Godzilla mouse get out of a normal mousetrap)
trapped 5 mice so far, no more rats. Fed the mice to the local Ravens. They seem to know me lol ...

Also got a crapload ( technical term of quantifiaction ) of cactus stickers in mia corpus .

Got plans now boy.... gonna get the rest of the space raked clean and level, Spray Lysol Liquid disnfectant all over in there from a tank sprayer,  find and wire & concrete and foam any holes.

then gonna call my concrete contractor and have him pour ~ 18 yards of self-leveling concrete down there to form a "terraced" concrete floor about 2-3 inches thick. down here they call them "rat-pads" and it successufully keeps the icky critters out. Including the Camel Spiders and 16 inch long red centipedes .... with the light duty floor, I can use the space for storage. We succesfully did it to the smaller ~ 600 sq foot crawlspace a couple years ago, and it turned out sooooo nice I plan to use part of it as a "clean basement man cave" .

But dang, whilst doing all that I banged the back of my right hand, it swelled  up and won't stop hurting... getting xrays and it looks like I may have a metacarpal fracture .....

With any luck I'll get a removable brace/splint and avoid a cast. Can't do the dishes with a cast on.

Not that  big a deal, Now that both cats are healthy ( after some spendy vet bills) , and Mrs Marvel is healing up and has been walking well ( but not far) since september. She's cleared to go in for quality PT like Yoga from a back-surgery trained yoga teacher....

but it's definitely screwing with any further "work" and of course it's my dominant shooting hand and trigger & second finger.
      poot.
I am thinking the message the force is trying to send me is
     "hire it done, stoopid"
         and
     "now you can practice shooting those remingtons left handed"

yhs
prof   (may all your troubles be small)  marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: October 21, 2017, 07:14:15 PM »
I feel your pain but chuckle at the story....
Mathew 5.9

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: October 21, 2017, 07:32:09 PM »
I feel your pain but chuckle at the story....

huzzaaaaahhhhh .... :-)
my plan is succeeding!

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: October 21, 2017, 11:19:46 PM »
Sounds like you had a big adventure there Professor M, been there myself; our house in the Sierras was like that underneath.  The dogs and cats would get squirelly and go to snuffling at the air conditioner/heat registers in the floor, and I'd know there was a varmint under the house.  . I'd go open the door under the deck, and let the cats and one dog - the other was a wuss, and would just stand outside and bark - into the crawl space, and usually, they would chase whatever was under there out in fairly short order; fortunately, it was mostly vermin of the mouse or rat variety, no skunks or buzzworms.

Another place we lived, this one in the Mo-Ja-Ve Desert in another location, I had an open air workshop.  The packrats and ravens and crows were fond of making trade with stuff I left out on a bench or some other handy place.  One thing that I lost was a wood chisel with a chrome plated blade; must have been a raven that traded me a stick of Ocotillo wood for it.

As to the weather, I'd favor a La Nina over the El Nino, I don't much care for rain; that's why I live in the desert.  When I was gainfully employed, and lived in Southern California on the coast, my job had me working in rain whenever it came along, and when I retired and moved to the mountains, I was always dealing with precipitation troubles of one form or another.  The snow finally broke me, literally, and we sashayed ourselves back to the desert where it is mostly warm and dry.

Later.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2017, 12:41:16 AM »
Thanks El

oh, and thanks for the coffee, folks!

intersting how the flavor improves if you make a new 1/2 pot on top of yesterday's leftover coffee...

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2017, 07:48:23 AM »
@PM- If ya had left the rattlesnake, you wouldn't have such a rodent infestation :)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2017, 11:25:06 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee is hot.

We have field mouse 'round here. All sorts of different traps are used.

'Tis 52 and raining. "Cooler. Periods of showers. Nearly steady temperature in the lower 50s. West wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent."

Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2017, 02:14:41 PM »
Morning all.

Well, Last night was a long one.  I went to a concert down in the city from a fellow called Randy Houser.  Very talented musician and singer.  Made his Nashville debut about ten years ago as a songwriter, and now he's a pretty stand alone singer.   He did work with Willie and Merle a time or two, though.
The concert was pretty good.  The encore was Simple Man, but it lasted half an hour.

As far as rodents around here go, there's a reason we have 3 cats.  The squirrels are the biggest offender, but the cats eat those.  We also have plain old pocket mice; also cat food.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2017, 03:35:52 PM »
  We also have plain old pocket mice; also cat food.

--TK
Why do you have mice in your pocket? And is that where the expression "Do you have a mouse in your pocket?" came from?

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2017, 04:16:38 PM »
Why do you have mice in your pocket? And is that where the expression "Do you have a mouse in your pocket?" came from?

Attack mice.  They keep pick-pockets away.  ::)

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2017, 04:39:43 PM »
Last night of the week ahead of me, looks like it might get wet as it progresses thru the hours. 

Cats work pretty good here- dogs help when they want too.  Occassional gift of appreciation is left on the deck by the door, for our approval.
Mathew 5.9

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: October 22, 2017, 07:01:19 PM »
We currently have too many cats, I think there's 9 right now. Fortunately they don't leave any presents for us, they pretty much eat what they catch. Wish they'd gang up and tackle Armadillos and possums. But they just ignore those.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #179 on: October 22, 2017, 08:54:28 PM »
We currently have too many cats, I think there's 9 right now. Fortunately they don't leave any presents for us, they pretty much eat what they catch. Wish they'd gang up and tackle Armadillos and possums. But they just ignore those.

Possums would be the victor in brawl with a domestic cat.... they are viscous and have a nasty bite , complete with bacteria which can lead to Sepsis. A good reason not to tangle with one yourself.

Armadillos are pretty much armored against a domestic cat's claws & teeth ....and have powerful and sharp claw themselves, cornered
I think the cat loses.

when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com