Author Topic: Schofield over rotating  (Read 4585 times)

Offline Cody Bill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Schofield over rotating
« on: September 25, 2017, 08:14:25 PM »
My schofield over rotates sometimes when cocking. I bought the gun new last winter and had the same problem out of the box. Sent it to Taylor's and thought there gunsmith fixed the problem but now the problems back. Any ideas what's going on.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: Schofield over rotating
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 09:04:49 PM »
Possibly a weak or binding spring not pushing the cylinder stop up correctly. Cal Taylor's again.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

llanerosolitario

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 06:36:30 AM »
weak bolt spring or late bolt, or both. in Most cases, when the bolt spring is ok, the problem lies in a very critical bolt release, that may let the cylinder overotate.

it can be fixed with an earlier bolt realease, that will prevent the cilinder to acelerate and miss aligment....it did happened to my Uberti as it came from Factory....in my case I adjusted the  bolt release to take place as soon as possible after half cock. with a rational margin.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:03:21 AM »

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 08:08:20 AM »

I would put my money on a weak bolt spring.

Lucky
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »
i would call Taylors and talk to the gunsmith.  Since it is the same problem, it is likely that it has the same cause.  Since he has fixed it once, he may have a good idea what it might be this time.  They may want you to send it back, but he may also be able to suggest something you can do yourself and/or send you a needed part.  This is assuming you are comfortable working on the gun.

Weak spring sounds likely to me, but I don't know S&W actions.  You might also re-post this in the gunsmithing section.  There are some folks like Pettifogger who know lotsa stuff but don't check all the forums here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com