Author Topic: Nice to win!  (Read 7536 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Nice to win!
« on: September 25, 2017, 02:38:47 PM »
Just had the pleasure of wining the "long range" side match at a recent CAS event. Two hundred metres. I shot prone with x-stixs, using the Lyman 457125/62 grs Goex cartridge/SPG lube.

My #1 Shiloh Sporter in 45-70 outshot a Ped 1885 in 45-70 along with assorted lever actions in 45-70 and 38-55. All using smokeless.

First time I shot that rifle in competition. Target was a SASS 16"x16" rifle target. Black Powder rules!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Nice to win!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 03:30:26 PM »
Congrats PJ.  I went to a black powder rifle bore shoot at Lethbridge in July using my Ped Sharps in 45-70 but, the strong gusty cross wind (we had to take down our tentage as it would all end up in Saskatchewan) prevented any accurate shooting.  At 500 yds, the drift was 10 ft to the left.  It was hard to spot as the spotting scopes were hard to keep still in that wind.  In other words, just a normal Lethbridge day.  Maybe next year.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 06:02:54 PM »
Yep, there's nothing like winning a long range event, IMHO.  There skill rules, rather than speed.  ;D

I'm leaving tomorrow for a match with a long range side competition.  I'm looking forward to that with my Browning High Wall 40-65.

We're in the process of building long range at our home club, with everything from pistol caliber long range to 500 yards silhouette.  Yeah, I know, yards not meters.  We don't have quite enough distance to get to the official 500 meters.  But it's still a good test.  ::)
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:15:42 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 09:22:32 PM »
Congratulations, PJ 8)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 11:14:39 PM »
Good Shooting.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 09:31:21 AM »
Congratulations, PJ.

Victory especially sweet in that you had not competed with that particular rifle. Sounds like you both did your part.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 10:47:50 AM »
This event was on a range with a maximum 200m. Our home range has 500m.

We could never offer that as a test as most would not be able to hit a target at that distance.

Sighting shots were disallowed, but spotting was OK. My first shot was high with a centre hold. After that, I simply held at 6 o'clock. The distance in elevation between our ranges was the factor I guess.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 11:34:40 PM »
Well done my friend!  I'm so sorry to have missed the shoot.  Next year....

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 08:06:10 AM »
Good shooting PJ.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 11:13:52 AM »
Actually, it wasn't really that good. It's just that my opposition shot worse than I did. A 16" x 16" target at less than 200 yds is a gimme for any experienced rifleman.

In order to shoot prone and see the target, my feet were cramped up against a dirt berm and I was lying on rocky surface barely padded with a folded blanket. A man the size of Gabriel law would have been unable to get into prone position. However, he shoots from a seated position, so he would have been OK.

The only other choice was to shoot from the bench which in retrospect might have been better for all. It just didn't seem "Cowboy".

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 12:22:59 PM »
Groveling on the ground is a great equalizer.

RCJ ;D
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 03:13:30 PM »
Not exactly what I would refer to as "groveling''. Most of the CAS shooters I know wouldn't be able to get prone and/or get up without assistance. That's why we don't do any 'kneeling behind the bar' scenarios in CAS.

This morning I took the head off a grouse at 15 yds with my Rossie '92 and my CAS load of a 200 RNFP over 6 grs of Red Dot. I feel better about that shot than my 'win' at 200 yds with a Shiloh 45-70.

That grouse was taken before lunch. This afternoon I was bucking up windfall trees on our property trail and I was wishing I was out looking for grouse. When I got home, there was a grouse walking across our gravel driveway and feeding on the grass verge. I had my wife call the dogs and I grabbed my '92 which was just inside the mud room.

This was also a head shot and approaching 20 yds. That is one accurate little carbine!

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 08:06:29 PM »
Talking about getting down low to shoot. Earlier this year I attended my first  M1 Garand 100 yd reduced target match. Going to prone was really tough, borderline impossible. Didn't need help getting up though, barely. I'm 6'4 and weigh 235 so I'm not too out of shape for 66. Also walked 1900 yds what with helping set up, scoring both relays and tear down. A learning experience for sure. Shooting is NOT supposed to be that much work or hurt that much either. I enjoyed the actual shooting, difficult as it was I did pretty good and hope to try again this fall but with my Krag Constabulary. But maybe not prone. I do have to build a couple of Krag speedloaders before then. I didn't know there was such a thing until recently. Here's my slightly unoriginal M1. Cowboys especially old ones can't get low, know what'ca mean.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 10:30:30 AM »
I'm luckier than most, Ed.

At 74 (75 next month), I do a daily exercise routine that would hospitalize some men half my age that includes hand stand push ups, conventional push ups, one arm push ups, chin ups, sit ups and weight training. Can't remember the last time I didn't do these things.

Been a lifelong fitness buff with the self discipline to keep to a program. I'm also a non-drinker (31 years unbroken sobriety), lifetime non-smoker and survived a stage four  bout with the Big 'C'. I do a lot of trail clearing and tree falling on the property, providing a lot of firewood to the community hall and to those who need it.

I've also got an M1 Garand that I enjoy shooting prone or slung up in the military x-legged position. If I can see it out to 300 yds, I can hit it.

Now I'm off to build a fire in the hall for the ladies quilting club then out to look for a deer and collect a few more grouse. with my '92.

Life is good, God is good. I'm grateful.

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 02:23:07 PM »
I do have to build a couple of Krag speedloaders before then. I didn't know there was such a thing until recently.
'Twere me I wouldn't bother. Get a double row Mills belt and practice loading from it. You'll be able to reload faster than guys shooting 1903's with stripper clips. I've done it in vintage bolt matches
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com