Author Topic: Does anybody know ????  (Read 6620 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Does anybody know ????
« on: September 24, 2017, 04:11:29 PM »

I am again suffering from "Wild Hair Syndrome."  It will also involve some "Gun Bashing" to succeed.  Lots of Gun Bashing ........

So ..... Weak minds with limited knowledge are ignorant of the facts.  Just the facts mind you.  Being of shot body and weak mind .......

Anybody know if the barrel assembly from an 1847 Walker will mount up on a 1st, 2nd or 3rd Model Dragoon frame with the cylinder/Barrel bore axis aligned??  I know there is a disparity (no issue) with the length of the respective cylinders and the barrel Breach (also no issue), and I don't care about the loading rammers (excess to requirements). 

I just have this wild and crazy idea for a pair of wild and crazy Snubbies (Snubbies??  Something that big .... a Snubbie??).

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: Does anybody know ????
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 05:14:53 PM »
One time several years ago when I had my Walker, Transition Dragoon, and 2nd Model Dragoon all apart, all laying on a towel on the dining room table (Mrs Crow was gone :-X), I checked just for "funzie's" if the Walker barrel would fit on the Dragoon frame and Dragoon barrel on the Walker frame. If I recall right they did, but I didn't slip the wedges in the slots nor cycle the actions. Maybe for more "funzie's" unless someone chimes in giving definite hardcore information I'll take the Walker and 2nd Dragoon apart and see just how they do match and function. Do it for ya old pal Coffinmaker for thrown' ya under the bus a while back. ;D  Got me curious anyway!!
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 05:19:51 PM »
I guess I'm still not clear on why you would want the Walker barrel instead of the later Dragoon barrels.  Since you love short guns, wouldn't you be able to make it shorter using a Dragoon barrel along with its frame?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:05:29 AM »

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 05:34:58 PM »
I guess I'm still not clear on why you would want the Walker barrel instead of the later Dragoon barrels.  Since you love short guns, wouldn't you be able to make it shorter using a Dragoon barrel along with its frame?
Wondered that too, but just answered the question. Curious about the answer.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 07:14:40 PM »
CM,
  It will work if you swap the Walker arbor in place of the Dragoon arbor.
And of course, it will use the Walker cyl.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 09:51:56 PM »

Hear be the wild hair.  The octagonal portion of the 47 Walker barrel will yield a working barrel of about 3 1/2 inches.  I really like 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 inches for barrel length on a Snubbie.  So ..... the plan is to cut the round part of the barrel smooth off (paper weight) so the end of the barrel is flush at the end of the octagonal portion of the 47 Walker.

The 1st 2nd or 3rd model Dragoon barrel would result in a poorly balanced gun.  I actually need the weight of the '47 barrel lug to give good balance.  Plus, the longer barrel lug will look trix. 

The plan is also to include a Kirst Konverter.  Specifically, the Gated Konverter for the '47 Walker which will also and incidentally be through bored to accept the 45 Brimstone cartridge.  I figure the 45 Brimstone out of a 3 1/2 inch barreled Walker would be just AWSOME!!  At a night match, it should stop traffic.  Especially  a 460 case filled with Cannon or 1f.

I'm still not to sure if I could call a Dragoon/Walker/Brimstone/Conversion a "Snubbie."  Even with the short barrel it's gonna be massive.  As in LARGE!!  Kinda like the BIG package of Charmin!!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 09:55:57 PM »
Well alright then.  Start spending money.  :)

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 11:02:18 PM »
Ah jeez CM, doing that to a gun of such magnificence would be like takin a brand new 1969 Chevy SS 396 Chevelle or a 1964 GTO 389 with dual quads to a demolition derby straight from the dealers back in the day they were made--even today. No offense, but I gotta tell ya straight---about makes me wanna cry. :'( :'(

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 11:21:34 PM »
Ah jeez CM, doing that to a gun of such magnificence would be like takin a brand new 1969 Chevy SS 396 Chevelle or a 1964 GTO 389 with dual quads to a demolition derby straight from the dealers back in the day they were made--even today. No offense, but I gotta tell ya straight---about makes me wanna cry. :'( :'(

Well, not really iof ya think about it.  He will have to buy a spare part Walker barrel to cut.  That just adds to the economy (Italians as well).  Plus adds to Kirst's bottom line.  And all he has to do is slap the original Dragoon barrel and cylinder back on it an voila! back to stock and demolition derby avoided.  :)

Well, except for the port in the frame.  ;)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 01:10:07 AM »
Hmmm... I do believe such a " Snubbie."    Dragoon/Walker/Brimstone/Conversion would need a name ....

Something fitting to it's massive but compact size & power....   Shooters of The Opentop and Richard-Masons or "STORM"/Opentop of the century if you will...

" IRMA "   yeah !  that is fitting    1 Real Massive  Arm

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 06:23:31 AM »
Of course when you think about it, what you're really gaining is a different grip frame from the Walker. So, you'd be making a "2nd Model" Walker or a "3rd Model" (square or round trigger guard). Or,  .  .  .  .  .  .  you could do the deed to a Walker (as is) and say it's a "New Whitneyville Dragoon Snubby .  .  .  .  thingy " ?  ;)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 07:48:57 PM »

Let us not forget.  When this project is done, I will have eliminated those silly oval cylinder slots and the correspondingly dumb oval locking bolt.  At'z primarily why I'm not gonna chop and channel the '47 Walker.  French'd tail lights on a Dragoon wid a square back Trigger Guard will be much more ascetically pleasing.  Along with serious dual EXHAUST!!  BOOMBA!!

Offline Jimeast

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 08:21:47 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 02:56:33 PM »
Jimeast .........

Thanks for the link.  Ain't that just about the Cat's Meow!!  Near the coolest looking Pocket Cannon going.  Now just imagine it with a gated conversion.  Just WOW!!

Offline Jimeast

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 04:14:17 PM »
It's very cool, but will it fit in a pocket?   :)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 11:39:18 AM »
Well .... Maybe a really BIG double stitched pocket.   ::)

Oh, ...... and prolly need a good pair of Suspenders.    :o

Offline Isbjorn

• Very Active Citizen
  • I promise I won't laugh at your mule.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 02:54:37 AM »
Mr. Coffinmaker... Has your peyote tea gone and fermented? 8)
That's like turning a Pz.Kpfw VI into a Kubelwagen. ;D
The REAL code of the West:
Do unto others before others do it unto you.
WH#3

Offline Isbjorn

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 02:58:13 AM »
Let us not forget.  When this project is done, I will have eliminated those silly oval cylinder slots and the correspondingly dumb oval locking bolt.  At'z primarily why I'm not gonna chop and channel the '47 Walker.  French'd tail lights on a Dragoon wid a square back Trigger Guard will be much more ascetically pleasing.  Along with serious dual EXHAUST!!  BOOMBA!!
Just make sure you install the twice pipes twice.
WH#3

Offline Isbjorn

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 03:04:26 AM »
Here is a Walker Snub Nose on Armslist that is cut off: Not Mine  :)

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1394105/casper-wyoming-muzzle-loaders-for-sale--1847-walker-snubnose-belly-gun

Looks like an elephant with a trunkectomy.
WH#3

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 06:22:27 AM »
Looks like an elephant with a trunkectomy.

I Like it.
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com