Author Topic: 1860 Army conversions  (Read 3977 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1860 Army conversions
« on: September 18, 2017, 11:14:32 PM »
Okay, I know this subject has been beat to death, but until recently I didn't have any interest.  NOW I have a gorgeous pair of Uberti civilian models (3 screw frame, not cut for shoulder stock) just poking around in the back of my mind asking me to make them into cartridge shooters

I'd like them to match my 1860 Uberti Henry in .44-40, but don't have an idea if it can be done, what it might cost, who could do it, if a loading gate is available and desirable,what conversion to pick, and if anyone thinks this is truly a good idea.

Help me out with your take on this.

Thanks.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
Re: 1860 Army conversions
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 11:58:20 PM »
Are you suuuure you don't want to do it in .45 (Colt / Schofield / CS ) ?  That would be easy.  For .44wcf you will have to get the barrel lined to .429, plus the custom made cylinder, which might have to be a 5-shooter?  Porting? Loading gate? Ejector?  Sure, why not, it's only money, but might as well do it right!   But for that stuff, I'd suggest contacting Raven (Jay Strite).

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 01:05:12 AM »
Okay, I know this subjest has been beat to death, but until recently I didn't have any interest.  NOW I have a gorgeous pair of Uberti civilian models (3 screw frame, not cut for shoulder stock) just poking around in the back of my mind asking me to make them into cartridge shooters

I'd like them to match my 1860 Uberti Henry in .44-40, but don't have an idea if it can be done, what it might cost, who could do it, if a loading gate is available and desirable,what conversion to pick, and if anyone thinks this is truly a good idea.

Help me out with your take on this.

Thanks.

Its a lot of work
New barrel - the Kirst website says there not enough meat in the barrel for a reline - that makes sense to me - have seen a couple done where they cut the old barrel off flush - bore it out back to the forcing cone - fit a new one that has a stub machined down to fit (easier? for a home handyman than doing a reline anyway)
Make a new five shot cylinder
Backing plate with loading gate
Fit a two tooth hand and time it all

Would be much easier to do Kirst converters for the pistols and trade the henery for one in 45 colt - kinda heretical to do that though.

new barrel

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:41:43 AM »

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 10:12:50 AM »
I don't think you'll get a six-shooter out of those cylinders, but there's nothing wrong with a five-shooter. I'm sure Raven could make you a cylinder but as has been said you'll need a new barrel, which is complicated, and that means expensive. Strangely Cimarron doesn't offer this caliber in their conversion revolvers, but perhaps it might be cheaper to buy their .44 Specials and rechamber them?

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 06:03:50 PM »
I don't think you'll get a six-shooter out of those cylinders, but there's nothing wrong with a five-shooter. I'm sure Raven could make you a cylinder but as has been said you'll need a new barrel, which is complicated, and that means expensive. Strangely Cimarron doesn't offer this caliber in their conversion revolvers, but perhaps it might be cheaper to buy their .44 Specials and rechamber them?

might need to reduce the rim diameter on the 44/40 to do it (they ten thou bigger than the special) - no big deal if you have a lathe - get a little parallel shank collet chuck adapter and a set of collets off ebay for about 50 bucks - easiest way to hold cases .

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 01:23:51 PM »
Hi Forty ......

I personally think it's a great IDEA.  It just isn't practical.  The base reason Colt didn't convert 1860s to 45 is the diameter of the cylinder.  The rear of the cylinder is the same diameter as the 1851.  The guns were built on 1851 frames.  The cylinder diameter DOES NOT allow enough metal to safely re-chamber to 45 Colt case diameter and the base to the 44-40 is real close.  The alternative settled upon by ALL the current makers of 1860 conversions is a 5 shot cylinder.  That cylinder has to be timed to work with the lock works of a 6 shot 1860.

My suggestion would be to put your desire forth to Gary Barnes (Hoof Hearted) and see what he thinks.  Anything is possible if your wiling to throw enough money at it.  In this case, do-able and affordable aren't in the same sentence.  There isn't enough meat left in an 1860 barrel to reline it down to 44.  You would also have to reline the cylinder down to 44 then re-chamber it to 44-40 which is a no go based on the cylinder diameter.  Custom one-off or two-off job.  Expensive.

Best bet:  .45s   45 conversion cylinders are readily available in 5 shot configuration.  Not cheap but available.  Henry rifles in 45 Colt are readily available.  You might find a new Henry Rifle and a pair of conversion cylinders in 45 to be cheaper than attempting to build your heart's desire.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 02:24:15 PM »
I'm getting the idea that it just isn't going to be worth my trouble and the resulting cost.  Thanks for the info folks, but I've decided to keep them the way they are.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 06:16:39 PM »
I believe you can get Uberti 1858 Remington cartridge conversions that are already in 44-40.  I love my Colt Conversions and No. 3 S&Ws, but Remmie conversions are cool, too.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 07:56:57 PM »
I believe you can get Uberti 1858 Remington cartridge conversions that are already in 44-40.  I love my Colt Conversions and No. 3 S&Ws, but Remmie conversions are cool, too.

Remingtons (and I've had a bunch of them) don't "feel right" in my hand.  Just not comfortable, some how.  Only exception was a little .36 Police revolver I had once.  Felt great but never worked worth a hoot.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 10:34:30 PM »
I'm getting the idea that it just isn't going to be worth my trouble and the resulting cost.  Thanks for the info folks, but I've decided to keep them the way they are.

hmmmm - it be nice tho wouldnt it - plan B - could buy two cimmarron 44 specials and have em reamed to 44-40 (timing - barrell - ejector rod - loading gate  - all done in the original price)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 11:29:19 PM »

hmmmm - it be nice tho wouldnt it - plan B - could buy two cimmarron 44 specials and have em reamed to 44-40 (timing - barrell - ejector rod - loading gate  - all done in the original price)

The chambers will not be exactly correct doing it that way, but it can be done and will work.  One of the guys on here has done it. 

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »
The chambers will not be exactly correct doing it that way, but it can be done and will work.  One of the guys on here has done it. 

not exactly correct ? ........ah .. yeah you right - 44 special is fatter in the neck - I forgot about that - there goes plan b up in smoke :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com