Author Topic: uberti 1866 yellowboy jamming  (Read 4057 times)

Offline rblocker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
uberti 1866 yellowboy jamming
« on: September 06, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »
Hi guys, my yellowboy has suddenly started jamming (in battery) when I load the magazine tube and I mean jammed! I have to take the magazine tube cap off and take all the rounds out then the lever action works fine,I took it apart and everything looks ok cleaned and lubed all moving parts put it back together and same thing. Any Ideas would be appreciated! Thanks-RBlocker

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: uberti 1866 yellowboy jamming
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 07:06:28 PM »
Not a lot of information.  However, a couple of things to check.  First, did you change bullets before this started?  Different shape bullet noses can cause problems.  Second, check the Mickey Mouse tab on the loading gate.  It sounds like it could be bent back and is allowing the rounds to go to far into the carrier.  66 loading gates, regardless of who makes them, are poorly designed and constructed.  The little tab needs to be reinforced.

Offline rblocker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 08:42:50 PM »
Not a lot of information.  However, a couple of things to check.  First, did you change bullets before this started?  Different shape bullet noses can cause problems.  Second, check the Mickey Mouse tab on the loading gate.  It sounds like it could be bent back and is allowing the rounds to go to far into the carrier.  66 loading gates, regardless of who makes them, are poorly designed and constructed.  The little tab needs to be reinforced.
Thanks ! No same bullets and oal. as always, I will check the loading gate, whats the best way to reinforce one if that is the case or should I just buy a new one??Thanks so much for the information!!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:06:53 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 09:02:46 PM »

PLUS ONE to THE ESTEEMED PETTIFOGGER!!

PLUS I'd like to add, you also need to look at the ledge at the lower back of the Carrier Block Mortice.  That ledge needs a nice tasty bevel on the mortice side to guide and align the cartridge in the carrier as it rises.  Along with the piece of KRAP annoying little tab on the Ladle (loading gate).  If the little tab is bent back just a smidgen it will allow the cartridge rim to slide under the mortice wall BEHIND the tasty bevel and jam the rifle hard.

PLUS ONE to Exacting PETTIFOGGER.  The design of the ladle SUX!!  Some of the after-market ladles will work well ... for a while ... so ... any of the ladles with the little tab need reinforced.  ESPECIALLY if we're talking a .38.  With a .38 the annoying piece of KRAP little tab is taking ALL the stresses of stopping the cartridges.  The after-market ladles are much deeper in their scoop and work much better with large bore cartridges.

Offline rblocker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 06:54:39 AM »
PLUS ONE to THE ESTEEMED PETTIFOGGER!!

PLUS I'd like to add, you also need to look at the ledge at the lower back of the Carrier Block Mortice.  That ledge needs a nice tasty bevel on the mortice side to guide and align the cartridge in the carrier as it rises.  Along with the piece of KRAP annoying little tab on the Ladle (loading gate).  If the little tab is bent back just a smidgen it will allow the cartridge rim to slide under the mortice wall BEHIND the tasty bevel and jam the rifle hard.

PLUS ONE to Exacting PETTIFOGGER.  The design of the ladle SUX!!  Some of the after-market ladles will work well ... for a while ... so ... any of the ladles with the little tab need reinforced.  ESPECIALLY if we're talking a .38.  With a .38 the annoying piece of KRAP little tab is taking ALL the stresses of stopping the cartridges.  The after-market ladles are much deeper in their scoop and work much better with large bore cartridges.

Thanks to you and Pettifogger I believe you have put me on the right track, the tab is indeed bent back a bit and I will check and make sure there is a tasty bevel on the mortice side of the carrier block. Thanks again for the help I will report back after adjustments are made! RBlocker

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 09:31:13 AM »
Track of the Wolf has replacement after-market ladles.... order 2

here is why...the one you have is bent... bending it back will either break it or fatigue it and it WILL break ... not if,  it will !

why two ?  because if you believe in Murphy's law corollary...'If you have a spare you won't need it ! ...if not... "you will ! "
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline rblocker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 10:16:57 AM »
Track of the Wolf has replacement after-market ladles.... order 2

here is why...the one you have is bent... bending it back will either break it or fatigue it and it WILL break ... not if,  it will !

why two ?  because if you believe in Murphy's law corollary...'If you have a spare you won't need it ! ...if not... "you will ! "
Thanks Major, I just ordered 2 from TOTW! I did the repair on my old loading gate, it was slightly bent back so I straightened it out and built a ramp with quick set JB weld  from the tip of the gate to about 1/2 in. back on the base and  filed it down so it cleared the slot in the receiver. The bevel on the mortise block looked adequate so I didn't mess with it. Lubed it all up put it all back together and just ran 50 rounds through it and it worked without a hitch! You can bet when the new ladles show up I will modify them the same way, what a crappy design, at least it is fixable, thanks for the great advise guys! RBlocker

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 11:12:27 AM »
Our Pleasure good Sir.

Keeping in mind, While often quite appropriate, the knowledge we dispense is FREE.  The acquisition of the knowledge however, was in many cases, very EXPENSIVE.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 11:17:05 AM »
Our Pleasure good Sir.

Keeping in mind, While often quite appropriate, the knowledge we dispense is FREE.  The acquisition of the knowledge however, was in many cases, very EXPENSIVE.

That's a fact Jack!
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 11:30:15 AM »
That's why it's so valuable.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline rblocker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 12:58:44 PM »
Our Pleasure good Sir.

From very expensive to priceless! RBlocker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com