Author Topic: Base Pin Screw  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Dump1567

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Base Pin Screw
« on: September 12, 2017, 08:39:32 PM »
I recently picked-up a stainless Cimarron Thunderball.  I noticed the base pin catch seemed to stick out more than my other SA guns.  Without thinking it through, I shortened the threaded end of the base pin screw.  Although it looks better, now it doesn't detent enough to allow the base pin to come out.  So basically I need a new base pin catch (the threaded side).  Cimarron doesn't show these in stock, so I'm trying to find an alternative.  Are all these interchangeable between Colt's ,Ruger's, Pietta's, and Uberti's, or does it need to be specific to my model?  Also I can't find these in stainless, just nickel.  Could mine actually be Nickel?  Great little gun by the way.

Thanks.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Base Pin Screw
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 11:52:10 PM »
Howdy Dump.  Your Thunderball is indeed stainless, not nickle.  You might call Cimarron.  They do stock some Pietta parts, although they do not have those on their website.  A blued part might work if they don't have stainless, though if I was going to do that I'd get both the nut and screw to be sure they mated properly.  Then you could strip the bluing off and polish the steel to make it match the gun.

If they don't have the parts, VTI should have them. 

I have swapped in an Uberti base pin for a Pietta, but I'm afraid I do not know how interchangeable the latch parts are between the various manufacturers.  But since you have some other SAA's, you could easily check that for yourself.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 11:53:06 AM »

Nope.  Not gonna do it.  Just gonna leave it alone.

PLUS ONE to Abilene

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:40:21 AM »

Offline Dump1567

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 11:51:50 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I actually just shortened the nut end and now it works (and looks better).  I also cut the end of the base pin so I can use the second notch.

Great little gun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com