Author Topic: Before I do something stupid  (Read 6172 times)

Offline Douglas Sheridan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Before I do something stupid
« on: September 04, 2017, 11:52:32 AM »
I've looked back through a lot of threads with varying degrees of success.

Over the next couple months I'm planning to pick up a full set of guns for the sport.  I've previously shot in several other types of matches, but never have owned a SAA.  Reloading to me is a given as I don't own anything that I don't reload for at this point, and I spent about 10 years as a full time gunsmith so working on them is no issue either.  I have not delusions of being one of the super fast guys trying to work every little advantage out of the rules.  I'm just looking to due it simply for the enjoyment of it.  Before I put the orders in for the guns I'd like to know from the more experienced guys if there are any of these choices that are certain to be a big mistake.  My intent is to shoot Duelist, most likely using 1 strongside, and the other cross draw.

Rifle - '73 in 44-40 w/ 24" bbl
Pistols - SAA 44-40 w/7.5" bbl (might do 5.5 but really like the look if the longer barrels)
SG - CZ coach gun with exposed hammers

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
Re: Before I do something stupid
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 12:41:55 PM »
I've evolved around to the Winchester Miroku in 44WCF,  Taylor's Smoke Wagon Deluxe in 44WCF 5.5" barrels and CZ-USA hammer coach gun. 

I've been real impressed with the quality inside and out of the Winchester Miroku rifle.   The CZ-USA is a top quality gun too.  But everything is fit very tight.

I really like my Smoke Wagons but I wouldn't spend money on the Deluxe again. 

I found there was a little learning curve on loading the 44-40 due to the slight bottle neck and thin brass.  My sizing die would not push the shoulder of the case back enough to let the loaded round fall completely into the chambers of my Uberti Smoke Wagons.   I could often push them on in with a little effort but the problem I was having was getting failures to fire. I (like many others) shortened the sizing die until the loaded rounds would chamber with no drag on the tightest chamber. 

I shot two matches this weekend for a total of 120 rounds with the pistols and 120 in the Winchester with no problems or maintenance.   I shot loads with Unique on Saturday and loads with BlackMZ on Sunday.  I'm using 165 grain 430 diameter bullets from Badman Bullets.  (Not all 44WCF will use 430 diameter bullets).

Offline Douglas Sheridan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 03:25:42 PM »
My one existing shotgun is a CZ Ringneck in 20G with 28" barrels, extractors only.  I've been really impressed with the quality of the CZ shotguns.  Chances are this is what I will use initially as the shotgun will be the last set that I buy.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:33:30 PM »

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 04:24:28 PM »
You'll have fewer handguns and rifles available to choose from in 44-40 caliber.   Almost every brand and model of SAA clone come in 357 or 45 Colt.   Same with the 73.

Also,  the new Uberti Cattleman line are starting to show up with a new lawyer approved retractable firing pin.  So far the jury is out on the reliability of the new action. 

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 07:11:20 PM »
Go ahead and do something stupid, J.  Why should you be different?   ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 09:37:42 PM »
Well ..... Ya ..... Jay!!

Why should we let you be different from the rest of us  :o   After all, we've all been known to do something stupid   ::)   Some of us several somethings    8)

You may find SAs in 44-40 with 7 1/2 inch barrels a bit muzzle heavy for a new dualist.

You may find a '73 in 44-40 with a 24 inch barrel a little cumbersome swinging from target to target.

I think you'll be quite happy with a CZ Hammer coach.  A little stiff at first but really nice guns.

I think it may be wist to attend a CAS match and mooch a chance to shoot some guns before you lay down the folding green.

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 11:11:00 PM »
Don't know what your money situation is, but if you can afford them, Colt SAAs are the way to go.  There is a feel and an aura to Colt that no other revolver can match.  Mine are 7 1/2" 45s and muzzle heavy has never been an issue and I find them easier to hit with than shorter barrels.  If you can't afford Colts or don't care to pay the price there are several decent SA copies that are usually good shooters and decent guns.

Offline Douglas Sheridan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 11:41:42 PM »
At least for the time being I'll be going with either Taylors or Cimarron.  Down the road Colt or USFA certainly isn't out of the question.  Eventually I'd also like to add  something in the 3" neighborhood, and possibly one of the Buntline models.   A local shop has the rifle on hand currently.

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 07:01:48 AM »
Others have reported that the CZ-USA hammer coach gun was stiff.  May have been the luck of the draw but the one I got was a little stuff to start with but within a couple hundred cycles of opening and closing,  it smoothed up to the point it would fall open easily.   

One odd thing about the CZ-USA is the top snap lever has no checkering on the lever where you push with your thumb. Slick as a baby's bottom.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 07:11:47 AM »
Go to shoots, talk to cowboys about their guns. Try some out. They'll tell you anything you want to know. Important questions to ask would be:
How long have you had it?
Is it stock or has it been worked on?
Would you buy another? Would you buy a different brand?
Reloading problems? Reloading equipment preferred. You'll need to reload.
Are you a potential gamer, historical reenactor, gun collector or a weekend shooter? When I started out I went with the original Ruger vaqueros as I have big hands and shoot duelist, if your hands are smaller you might need a smaller revolver. Longer, heavy bbls in any gun tend to be slower to manipulate (draw, shoulder, sweep, move around objects) than shorter, lighter bbls. Are you recoil sensitive? All my cowboy guns are .45 lc, I shoot a decent load witha 200 gr bullet. I've been to a bunch of state and regional shoots, the best I've ever done were multiple 5th place awards at big shoots. I didn't need or want to put in the extra work to get any faster. Do you have the time, $ and drive to be an A shooter? .32- .38- .44 -.45? If you stay in this sport for many years your tastes will change, equipment and style will evolve, what you started with may or may not be what you end up with. I've done more experimenting with shotguns than anything else.
Good luck, have fun.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 07:58:58 PM »

AND A LARGE PLUS ONE to BALTIMORE ED. 

I couldn't have said it any better.  Ed also made a very good point.  You very well may not end up with what you started with.  This game is pure FUN.  FUN is the most important aspect.  Need will not drive you acquisition of more guns.  LUST will.  Trust me.

Offline Douglas Sheridan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 10:54:25 PM »
I'd say my interest is more toward the historical aspects.  In all honesty if NCOWS was active in the area I'd be more inclined to gravitate that direction.  When I was growing up I was involved in the Mountain Man Rendezvous and did the bet I could to keep my equipment as period correct as I was able.  In the next few weekends I am hoping to make it to at least one shoot.  Either up in Prescott this weekend, Ben Avery, Cowtown, or Rio Salado at the beginning of the month. 

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 07:00:56 AM »
Jrice, that's a good place to start. I like history too, military history that is. As a mountain man with his Hawkin rifle, ml pistol and shotgun a cas match would take a while. The most competitive period guns closest to the muzzleloading era would probably be the conversion open top Colts post the Civil War with either the Henry or 1866 rifle and a double. Of course as a Darksider, you might want to get earlier. Then you would need c&b revolvers and a Henry or a Spenser. A Civil War vetern is always a good persona.. "You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" Have a good time at whatever match you get to.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 03:40:57 PM »
Howdy Jrice and Welcome, Taylor and Cimarron are both importers of Uberti firearms, both good dealers....don't forget EMF imports Pietta (Great Western II, Alchemist...etc) here's a cut and paste from the past;
The best advice I know for new shooters is..........before you spend a dime on guns and gear STOP!! Start going to as many local matches as you can find, introduce yerself, offer to help out. Most of us are more than willing to let you try our gear, try before you buy. Call the local MD, most of them can have some different shooting irons lined up for you to shoot. Bring a belt large enough to hang two holsters on, try before you buy.  Don't worry too much about clothes to start for SASS, a pair of jeans, a long sleve shirt, and a pair of leather shoes or work boots is all you need. You can build on your costume from there. Good Luck  :)

#1 mistake by new shooters..................buying guns and gear before trying the different models ;)
#2 mistake by new shooters..................building a gun cart as big and heavy as a tank ;D

Jefro  :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Douglas Sheridan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 11:16:34 PM »
Made it up to go see a match in Prescott today, and had the chance to try out an compare some of the different pistol and rifle configurations that I'm considering.  7.5" SAA's and a 24" "73 are going to be just fine I think. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com