Author Topic: ncows overcoat  (Read 3450 times)

Offline Colt Fanning

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ncows overcoat
« on: September 03, 2017, 08:02:24 AM »
Howdy,
I was at trader jack's in Fredricksburg last week and was looking to buy and overcoat.  They had the Frontier Classics coat but I was concerned that the slanted pockets and metal buttons wouldn't be NCOWS legal.  Is this true.  Does anyone make a top coat that is
acceptable to NCOWS?
Regards
Colt

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
Re: ncows overcoat
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 08:47:54 AM »
River junction trade co. has a 20% off special on coats right now. you may want to check there website.

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 10:23:12 AM »
The pea coat has not changed in eons to my knowledge

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:39:22 PM »

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • SASS #: 73114
  • NCOWS #: L-172
  • GAF #: 719
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 09:45:36 PM »
Not trying to rain on anyone, but while RCJ has really nice clothing, it's not in everyone's budget.

Colt, if you are talking about the duster they show in brown on the website, it is fine for NCOWS. The only time it might be a problem would be if you were trying to get certified for the Originals category. Then you would have to be able to document that coat, with slant pockets and metal buttons, as being available for the time period you are going for.  In other words, if you just want one like the one Texas Jack's has for shooting matches (including a National) in one of the standard categories (i.e. NOT Originals) that coat will be just fine. We really just are not that strict.

FYI, there were lots of pocket styles. Straight patch, flapped inset, slanted, flapped outer patch. And button material - metal, bone, antler, cloth covered metal (fancier frock coats), wood. I don't know when plastic buttons first started showing up, but if it was not in the 19th century, even going to River City Junction and paying $80 for a pair of trousers, is a problem. Besides, you can always replace buttons if you don't like them.
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 09:51:31 AM »
Goodyear hard rubber buttons come in during the Civil War era or a little before.  But they are not real common during the war.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 11:35:38 AM »
Not trying to rain on anyone, but while RCJ has really nice clothing, it's not in everyone's budget.

Colt, if you are talking about the duster they show in brown on the website, it is fine for NCOWS. The only time it might be a problem would be if you were trying to get certified for the Originals category. Then you would have to be able to document that coat, with slant pockets and metal buttons, as being available for the time period you are going for.  In other words, if you just want one like the one Texas Jack's has for shooting matches (including a National) in one of the standard categories (i.e. NOT Originals) that coat will be just fine. We really just are not that strict.

FYI, there were lots of pocket styles. Straight patch, flapped inset, slanted, flapped outer patch. And button material - metal, bone, antler, cloth covered metal (fancier frock coats), wood. I don't know when plastic buttons first started showing up, but if it was not in the 19th century, even going to River City Junction and paying $80 for a pair of trousers, is a problem. Besides, you can always replace buttons if you don't like them.

I'm happy I have such an influence on you, Okie Tom . . .

But it's River Junction Trade . . .

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • SASS #: 73114
  • NCOWS #: L-172
  • GAF #: 719
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 01:25:14 PM »
I'm happy I have such an influence on you, Okie Tom . . .

But it's River Junction Trade . . .

RCJ

Well, you do have significant sway over me, and you have nice clothes.  ::)  Guess I just got confused by "trader Jack's" instead of "Texas Jack's"
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com