Author Topic: Beef tallow based bullet lubricant  (Read 10318 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Beef tallow based bullet lubricant
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 10:29:02 AM »
Well Gollie!!  Nice to see I've managed to have a good effect on some folks.  Save those Box Tops and keep those cards and letters coming!

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2017, 11:11:54 PM »
If you haunt the estate sales after the Christmas holidays you can get some once lit Christmas candles for nickles each.  The color and fragrance don't add anything to their use as bullet lube but the aroma is a good paring with the black powder smoke. . .

DD-MDA

Question for ya Dick -- what candle wax is it that wont mix with beeswax ?
Reason asking is I recently melted down some wax a friend gave me he thought was beeswax - yeah some of it was - I sorted all the parrafin? out - thought I did - melted the rest and set it in a big puddin bowl - when it was all set there was this white wax that had set separately - like veins of it separated out - never seen that before - I know they use a lot of different stuff in candles but thought they would all combine when we melted em - any clues?
greyhawk.

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 08:58:25 PM »
update on beef tallow
A 60:40 mix of tallow rendered from beef kidney fat and canning wax makes a very good summer lube. This is what I used to treat felt for making revolver wads like Bottom Dealing Mike suggests. It also makes a good hard and not sticky lube for coating the bullets used in my percussion Sharps.
With a little oil of wintergreen added to the mix it smells good, certainly better than Ballistol.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:41:46 AM »

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 04:29:42 AM »
update on beef tallow
A 60:40 mix of tallow rendered from beef kidney fat and canning wax makes a very good summer lube. This is what I used to treat felt for making revolver wads like Bottom Dealing Mike suggests. It also makes a good hard and not sticky lube for coating the bullets used in my percussion Sharps.
With a little oil of wintergreen added to the mix it smells good, certainly better than Ballistol.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Thanks Bunk - I will give it a try - have plenty of that parrafin (is what the gals use here for canning wax) was wondering what to do with it.
Greyhawk

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 01:11:46 PM »
Beef fat, hog fat, deer tallow, it all serves the same purpose.  Keep the fouling soft so it blows out.  PL-II uses a microcrystalline wax, Soy wax and shortning.  It works, stays put till fired and coats the barrel and rids the barrel of fouling.  That's about all a bullet lube can do.  The rest is up to the bullet to haul enough lube to do the job.

We just finished shooting the Wi. State Champion SASS shoot (Fandango) and our whole camp was shooting BL bullets.  No cleaning between days, no fouling problems and I even shot the last stage clean.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com