Author Topic: Conversion Cylinder  (Read 10162 times)

Offline Isbjorn

• Very Active Citizen
  • I promise I won't laugh at your mule.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Conversion Cylinder
« on: August 25, 2017, 07:59:48 AM »
Does anyone know if there are .45 Colt Cowboy Load conversion cylinders made for the Pietta 1873 .44 Black Powder revolver?

I've got one coming and would like to bring it up to snuff with my 1858s w/ conversions.

They have the Taylors & Co. cylinders.
The REAL code of the West:
Do unto others before others do it unto you.
WH#3

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Conversion Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 08:15:21 AM »
No.  I've heard of them being converted to cartridge, but it is not as easy as buying a cylinder.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 01:29:05 PM »

The Pietta 1873 .44 Percussion is/was specifically designed by Pietta to prevent conversion to Cartridges.  I have also heard of on being converted but it was not a simple process.  I would guess it would cost more to do than the original purchase price of the gun.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:17:38 AM »

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 04:40:58 PM »
Whilst almost any conversion is possible with enough time and money, this one is a huge pain.

The Pietta .45 colt cylinders will fit, but they are "too short" so you would need to pull the barrel, shorten the shoulder, and set the barrel back in deeper. You would aso need to"retime" the barrel so the front sight and ejector line up which will ost likely involve
shortening the barrel face and cutting a new forcing cone.

Then you will have to replace the hammer and/or firing pin with a conical pin, and mill and bush the "backplate" (where the firing pin and cylinder pawl come thru on the frame) to put a proper firing pin bushing in. otherwise the primers will hang up on the plate when fired.

Then you will need to retime the entire hammer, pawl, bolt, trigger, cylinder assembly so it all lines up correctly.

------------------------
OR
you could take the existing clinder, bore it out to take "some cartridge" ( but we can't be sure there is enought meat for .45 colt)
lathe off the backside of the cylinder and build and harden your own backplate with a built-in long floating firing pin kinda like a Kirst

Oh. and modify the hammer...

either direction one takes , it's a one-way conversion as the percussion cylinder is either "used up" or will never fit again.

soooooo

it's probably not worth the grief.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Isbjorn

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 08:02:00 PM »
Oh, rats. I guess I'll have to wait until I get out of KKKommieforniastan before I get another cartridge 1873. I'll just have to enjoy it as it is.

Thanks for the info, compadres.
WH#3

Offline Isbjorn

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 03:02:52 AM »
The Pietta 1873 .44 Percussion is/was specifically designed by Pietta to prevent conversion to Cartridges.  I have also heard of on being converted but it was not a simple process.  I would guess it would cost more to do than the original purchase price of the gun.

Why is that not stated ANYWHERE? If I had known ahead of time... Pietta is now dead to me.
WH#3

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 05:22:54 AM »
The idea of a SAA reverse conversion, was for Countries  far more Draconian then even your Calforniastan  ::)
places like, not so great , Britain ( as far as guns are concerned ) .... where C&B guns are regulated legal ....That is yeah, you can own one, but it must be locked away a some gun club you are a member of.

A few of these "things" have been seen here in the states ( I saw one on consignment in a gun store ).  perhaps Traditions may still have them and maybe Dixie still has some new old stock :-\
They did not sell well here, The one I saw years ago had no takers ..... don't dish Pietta ( just because they scratched a Draconian itch )
Uberti made them also in 90's  ....neither Pietta or Uberti make them anymore. (parts then, are in other peoples guns )
 .... Even Ruger's "Old Army" was akin and also no longer made.

To my knowledge Howell (now Taylors ) did not made a cylinder for them (Pietta & Uberti)
He did make them for the Ruger however ...

For what they were .... there was a market , in fact Ruger's did sell rather well.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline wool

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 06:24:10 AM »
Major2---just to clarify the situation in the UK, we are allowed to have cap and ball revolvers and can keep them at home under lock and key, but they can only be used at Home Office ( ie government) approved shooting clubs. We can only dream about cartridge conversions and envy our US cousins.

At least we can own multiple 1860 Henry rifles and become members of the IMHOA!!

Best regards.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 06:25:25 AM »
The idea of a SAA reverse conversion, was for Countries  far more Draconian the even your Calforniastan  ::)
places like, not so great , Britain ( as far as guns are concerned ) .... where C&B guns are regulated legal ....That is yeah, you can own one, but it must be locked away a some gun club you are a member of.

A few of these "things" have been seen here in the states ( I saw one on consignment in a gun store ).  perhaps Traditions may still have them and maybe Dixie still has some new old stock :-\
They did not sell well here, The one I saw years ago had no takers ..... don't dish Pietta ( just because they scratched a Draconian itch )
Uberti made them also in 90's  ....neither Pietta or Uberti make them anymore. (parts then, are in other peoples guns )
 .... Even Ruger's "Old Army" was akin and also no longer made.

To my knowledge Howell (now Taylors ) did not made a cylinder for them (Pietta & Uberti)
He did make them for the Ruger however ...

For what they were .... there was a market , in fact Ruger's did sell rather well.

I don't know about Pietta, but Uberti's are still being made.  Cimarron even has them in stock, MP458.  And yeah, they don't sell very well.

BTW, Howell conversions, formerly R&D, has always been sold by Taylors, but is not Taylors.  Cimarron sells them as well.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 08:30:21 AM »
I don't know about Pietta, but Uberti's are still being made.  Cimarron even has them in stock, MP458.  And yeah, they don't sell very well.

BTW, Howell conversions, formerly R&D, has always been sold by Taylors, but is not Taylors.  Cimarron sells them as well.

I wonder what the date code is on MP458  :-\  in stock .... I wouldn't think Cimarron has imported any lately.... :-\

thanks for clarifying the situation,  Wool 

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 09:10:16 AM »

I wonder what the date code is on MP458  :-\  in stock .... I wouldn't think Cimarron has imported any lately....

Cimarron only started importing them in the last year or two.  Don't ask me why.

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 04:33:57 PM »
Interestingly, in the last several years these 1873 C&B revolvers have been selling like hotcakes in the EU...
ever since the mass migration out of the troubled middle east. These , and a new brand of percussion double derringer,

one Czech company is selling 2 shot derringers as fast as they can make them
http://saguaro-arms.com/product-eng-388-Derringer-45-3.html

are extremely popular in Eastern EU countries, where purchase is not restricted and in some cases
concealed carry of C&B seems to be allowed. As a result a number of "snubby" variations have proven popular.

and variations of the percussion 1873 colt we have never seen:
http://saguaro-arms.com/product-eng-377-Cattleman-percussion-Birds-Head.html

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 05:58:00 AM »
Cimarron only started importing them in the last year or two.  Don't ask me why.

dumb founded myself....  the one I saw , finally sold ( looked unfired ) to fellow I know, cause it had sat un sold so long.
I think the price was $150 out the door. ....was to much a carrot at that , for the guy I know to pass.  ::) To my knowledge he has not fired it either  :-\

I understand ...in EU countries even Britain ....but why here  ???  

Offline Isbjorn

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 03:04:33 AM »
dumb founded myself....  the one I saw , finally sold ( looked unfired ) to fellow I know, cause it had sat on sold so long.
I think the price was $150 out the door. ....was to much a carrot at that , for the guy I know to pass.  ::) To my knowledge he has not fired it either  :-\

I understand ...in EU countries even Britain ....but why here  ???   

The reason I got mine was, I REFUSE to jump through hoops, pay fees, pay for classes I do not need. (I was a rangemaster and instructor for the AZDOC.), And perform like a seal for some state "certified" goon just to be able to BUY a cartridge firearm in KKKommieforniastan.

Pietta should have stated plainly, and the firearm media should have disclosed that con cyls wouldn't work.
WH#3

45 Dragoon

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 03:56:49 AM »
In that case, the easiest thing to do would be to get a Remington and a drop cylinder conversion. If you don't like Remies,  they make drop cylinder conversions for Colt open tops but Dragoons/Walkers  are the only ones that can stay a "6 shooter" in .45 cal (assuming you want .45s). Drop cylinders in open tops are a little more "involved" to remove and replace though.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 01:28:51 PM »
The reason I got mine was, I REFUSE to jump through hoops, pay fees, pay for classes I do not need. (I was a rangemaster and instructor for the AZDOC.), And perform like a seal for some state "certified" goon just to be able to BUY a cartridge firearm in KKKommieforniastan.

Pietta should have stated plainly, and the firearm media should have disclosed that con cyls wouldn't work.

It really is a specialty item made for Europe that some folks imported to the U.S.

No offense, but Pietta isn't in the business of selling "convertable" pistols. They are selling C&B revolvers.
They can't "disclose" everything that won't fit...

It would be valid to complain if the seller claimed it could be converted. but then you should take it up with the seller.

If one wants a conversion cylinder it really is up to the individual to perform the "Due Diligence" to locate it themselves-
looking at all the sites that sell conversion cylinders, one will rapidly see what "is" available.
If you don't see it, it ain't available.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Isbjorn

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 10:10:18 PM »
In that case, the easiest thing to do would be to get a Remington and a drop cylinder conversion. If you don't like Remies,  they make drop cylinder conversions for Colt open tops but Dragoons/Walkers  are the only ones that can stay a "6 shooter" in .45 cal (assuming you want .45s). Drop cylinders in open tops are a little more "involved" to remove and replace though.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

I already have two of 'em with .45 cyls.

I see cyls for Uberti Walkers and Dragoons, but this is a real Colt. It will paper. Can't be sure the Cyls will work. Nothing else seems to.

The beast in the lower left corner is the culprit
WH#3

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 11:41:56 PM »
 " I see cyls for Uberti Walkers and Dragoons, but this is a real Colt. It will paper. Can't be sure the Cyls will work "

R&D's  for Uberti will fit , no guarantee it won't need some minor timing adjustment  :-\

I had one in my 2nd Gen. 15 years...  the 2 Gen. Colt itself was made in 1978.

Offline Isbjorn

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 12:05:01 AM »
" I see cyls for Uberti Walkers and Dragoons, but this is a real Colt. It will paper. Can't be sure the Cyls will work "

R&D's  for Uberti will fit , no guarantee it won't need some minor timing adjustment  :-\

I had one in my 2nd Gen. 15 years...  the 2 Gen. Colt itself was made in 1978.

Now that I have at least one statement that it'll work, I'll probably go that route. I would prefer to keep the orig cyl stock. I didn't expect a perfect fit. One of the Rem cyls worked perfectly from the box, one had a slight hiccup but seems to have worked itself out.

Thanks for the info! As the moose in the Pep Boys commercial said, "Ah aprrrrrreciate it!"

WH#3

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 04:42:31 AM »
Small typo  "I had one in my 2nd Gen. 15 years...  the 2 Gen. Colt itself was made in 1978. "

should read  " I've had one in my 2nd Gen. 15 years...  the 2 Gen. Colt itself was made in 1978. "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com