Author Topic: 7 rounds in magazine approved by WB committee !!  (Read 17018 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Re: 7 rounds in magazine approved by WB committee !!
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2017, 08:41:29 AM »
 I live in the period of 1896 to1912. What makes WB too modern imo (even though I like it and compeat) are the modern custom 1911s and speed holster gear. 1911s or A1s only, original or repro pistols, one or two hands, magazines IN a pouch. It's simple. Let the FILM be the guide.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 10:54:07 AM »
I agree on the modern WB gear - IPSC leather gussied up to look western. Horse feathers! Some just gotta have the edge, real or imaginary.

I don't like the use of two hands in CAS - period - as it just ain't Cowboy.

Re: the problem with the Henry .... I've been present twice when three rds detonated in a Henry after the nose cap was dropped with disasterous effect on the rifles and one of the shooters. I know of others as well.

In one case, it was on the clock, t'other right at the loading table.

I no longer think such events are a good idea and I lower the follower on my Henry with care.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 09:05:09 PM »
I agree on the modern WB gear - IPSC leather gussied up to look western. Horse feathers! Some just gotta have the edge, real or imaginary.

I don't like the use of two hands in CAS - period - as it just ain't Cowboy.

Re: the problem with the Henry .... I've been present twice when three rds detonated in a Henry after the nose cap was dropped with disasterous effect on the rifles and one of the shooters. I know of others as well.

In one case, it was on the clock, t'other right at the loading table.

I no longer think such events are a good idea and I lower the follower on my Henry with care.

"I don't like the use of two hands in CAS - period - as it just ain't Cowboy."

Exactly!  As you previously stated, IPSIC with cowboy boots.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:14:56 AM »

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2017, 12:59:36 PM »
Forget the #$%&! order! Make 'em all knock downs, and shoot 'em all 'till they're dead.
Yee-Haw! ;D
Sounds great :).....let us know how many people showed up Friday to set up and how long it took ;D ;)

I really don't care one way or the other on the 7 round mag change, never heard a complaint. Only problem is now I have to invent a bunch of sweeps based on 7, 14 and 21 :-\ Maybe it will be a fun problem ;D. Multiples of 5 were easy to write stages with, and you could make the stage flow with the rifle the same order or similar.......plus I have about ten years of stages saved to get ideas from. Think now the rifle will be 7 rounds most of the time, should be a wash on how much brass to shag.
  If we're gonna be pushing for using the guns as intended let's do away with 6 rounds in the shotgun :o ::)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2017, 03:20:15 PM »
I really don't care one way or the other on the 7 round mag change, never heard a complaint.  If we're gonna be pushing for using the guns as intended let's do away with 6 rounds in the shotgun :o ::)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy

Look, if you're gonna interject with reason, logic and common sense, this discussion has nowhere to go .... :>)
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 03:35:02 PM »
I see a whole new sass gunsmithing modification that all WB shooters will have to have....7 rd  '97 shotgun mod. Load 7 in your 1911 and 7 in your '97. And don't forget about those WB cowboy hats with the brim only on the front.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 04:26:55 PM »
97's were made to hold 6 two and one half inch shells. They will not hold 7. 1911's were made to hold 7.
wM1
PS Get a 73 with 30" barrel you can load a bunch.
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 05:17:28 PM »
Forget the #$%&! order! Make 'em all knock downs, and shoot 'em all 'till they're dead.
Yee-Haw! ;D
Sounds great :).....let us know how many people showed up Friday to set up and how long it took ;D ;)

We did it at A GAF Muster with a Gatling gun! Great fun! But everyone was pitching in. The model of Gatling we were using used steel "tubes" loaded with a .45colt round,  the original model would have used the tubes loaded with loose powder, ball and percussion cap. So everyone that wasn't setting targets was loading tubes and magazines.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2017, 10:03:45 AM »
Workin' on it.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2017, 12:43:36 PM »
... that's because it ain't Cowboy - it's Mexican Revolution. The Cowboy era was gone by then.

Anyone who can count to 5 can count to 7, at least he/she oughta be able to.

I haven't seen the rule change. Does it men that you get more targets to shoot at or more rds to fire at the usual number?

That's like the '97 shotgun, the cowboy era was gone when that came out.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2017, 01:51:40 PM »
Tell that to the cowboy shooters that single feed their '97's.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2017, 01:54:55 PM »
That's like the '97 shotgun, the cowboy era was gone when that came out.

I've got to disagree there. All the cowboys and settlers didn't sell their horses and wagons on January 1,1900 and buy Fords. The Native Americans didn't move into houses and drink tea with their pinky stuck up on 1-1-1900. They didn't close down the saloons and brothels and fire the lawmen as the towns had become so civilized. The banditos, renegades and criminals were still out there, the cattle still had to be herded and moved to the railhead. The major conflicts between settlers/military and the Plains indians had ended but there was plenty of wild west at the turn of the century, it just wasn't the same as 30 years before. The cap and ball guns became cartridge guns, muzzle to breech loader to Henrys to Winchesters, double guns to the 1887 to the 1897. The wagon train evolved into the iron horse which eventually became the Model T. Technology drives change, everyone wants an edge or the newest thing. Some cowboys, criminals and lawmen embraced the development of the double action revolver and eventually the 1911, others didn't. The change was a gradual thing. The cowboy era had certainly changed by 1897 but was not gone.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2017, 12:59:19 PM »
97's were made to hold 6 two and one half inch shells. They will not hold 7. 1911's were made to hold 7

Backing up to wildman's comment. Weell, you CAN get 7 in a 97 if you try hard enough. I started experimenting with these 2 inch shells 3 years ago. My original 2 inch shell held six .33 oo buck shot with the voids filled in with #9 shot. These WB loads use a #408 powder bushing with clay dot powder and a 7/8 oz #9 shot bushing in ww hulls. The wad is a red claybuster cb1138-12. I also put a 5/8 in diameter over shot wad punched from my mty primer container cardboard slipcovers. The hard part was the crimp die. I didn't want to shorten my vintage Bair/Pacific steel crimper so I shortened and modified an old mec aluminum one. The loaded shells are 2 inch give or take a few thous. Seven fit and feed in my three 6 round altered Winchesters (a 97, a Norinco trench and my M12 trench). I have seen them bump the front of the ejection port but I'm thinking that a slight tilt to the left when racking the gun should get the round where it needs to go. Don't know if they'll ever be particularly useful but it can be done.
As they say in France ta-daaa.

Redid the photos. I've found that if I crop my photos before I upload them to my jpeg app they will stay right side up.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2018, 07:03:53 PM »
I just got the official notice of change here in Victoria Someone should post the changes here.

I tried my '97 with 2 inch roll crimped rounds but gave it up. The short shells got lost in the feed cycle.

However! I shortened some split neck AAs to 2 3/8" and roll crimped. VOILA/Eureka! They worked AND got six in an unmodified magazine. I was happy about that.

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2018, 08:34:30 PM »
Has anyone shot a match with the 7 rd rule? Our club match creator designs our WB matches to be shot as CAS matches too so he has kept the 5 rd only rule so that SAAs  and 1911s can be used. I haven't been to a dedicated WB match since it got cold.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2018, 07:12:05 AM »
I have. Several. No big deal, but a little more latitude on stage writing. Some are cutting back on the rifle rounds. A few difficulties with loading some 7 round mags in slide forward position. Several other changes take a little more getting used to.
wM1
PS BE you could probably get more than 7 in that 97 if you cut em a little shorter.
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2018, 10:28:33 AM »
If I cut them any shorter I'd have to leave something out.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »
Just for Grins and Giggles, a couple of years ago I went to a WB match with a pocket full of Aguila Mini Shells.  7 inna magazine was absolutely no problem.  Fun too.  Of course, nobody around here wanted to actually shoot WB.  They just wanted to shoot Cowboy with 1911s.  SASS still put WB inna toilette.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2018, 05:23:36 PM »
It might be "Cowboy" with a 1911 until you have a stage with 210 pistol rounds.  ;)
wM1

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2018, 05:39:47 PM »
I don't have that many mags I'm afraid. 30? Maybe if I were 'John Smith' from Last Man Standing.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com