Author Topic: 44-40 loads for hunting  (Read 3899 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
44-40 loads for hunting
« on: August 24, 2017, 06:11:21 PM »
I just acquired a Rossi SRC in 44-40. For CAS it will eat the same loads as my Uberti Henry and '66 - 6 grs Red Dot under 200 gr RNFP's.

What I'm looking for are loads using Red Dot, Unique or Tite Group and 200 gr RNFP's for deer and black bear.

None of my manuals list anything other than Cowboy loads and I want something with a little more smack 'em.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Re: 44-40 loads for hunting
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 11:18:39 PM »
 I use 9.0-9.5 grs. of unique in my 1866 Sporting Rifle under a 220 gr. cast RNFP. As I recall velocity is 1300 +/- fps out of the 24" barrel. It's a pretty accurate load, here's a 200 yd. target I shot with it:

Herco and Power Pistol are also really good powders for this cartridge. I'd suggest you subscribe to www.loaddata.com. TONS of good data there for the 44-40 as well as hundreds of other cartridges.

CHT

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 09:25:56 PM »
That's some fine shooting!

I've got  good supply of the powders I mentioned, so I'll start with them, most likely Unique first.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:29:25 PM »

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 12:37:12 AM »
I just acquired a Rossi SRC in 44-40. For CAS it will eat the same loads as my Uberti Henry and '66 - 6 grs Red Dot under 200 gr RNFP's.

What I'm looking for are loads using Red Dot, Unique or Tite Group and 200 gr RNFP's for deer and black bear.

None of my manuals list anything other than Cowboy loads and I want something with a little more smack 'em.

You can proly push a 44/40 Rossi '92 to 2000fps safely - but need to move to bit slower powders to do it - would not even think about it with red dot or unique ! ---2400 , 4227 do well for heavy loads in 44/40 - BUT - you own a Henry so the thing to do is load your rossi rounds longer enough that they will not cycle in the Henry - might need a different mold (RCBS used to make a 44/40 mold with the crimp groove in the wrong location for a henry or 66) or go to copper jacket boolits - a '92 can cycle overlength rounds - yeah I know !! you gonna be careful and not mix your reloads up - but one of those hot reloads will wreck a brass frame gun - not total but it will require major surgery to even function afterwards. Be careful!!!

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 11:38:20 AM »
I'm not interested in turning a 44-40 into a sub-.44 Magnum. I've got a B-92 already.

The 44-40 has dropped a lot of game over the years in factory loadings. I still remember when ammo boxes stated if 44-40 ammo was for pistol or rifle use. People were trusted to have the common sense to know the difference.

I guess those days are gone ....

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 02:01:21 PM »
  Look...I've killed both deer and hogs with .44 Special and 45 Colt SA revolvers running 260-265 gr. cast bullets 1000 fps and less. Heck, last year I used one of my old '73 Winchester 38-40's on a buck. Load your 44-40 with a 200-220 gr. RNFP running 1300 fps and you'll be fine!

CHT

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 02:29:24 PM »
I've already come to that conclusion.

As a result of the ongoing wildfire situation west and south of us (500,000 hectares burned), we expect a total ban on hunting west of the Fraser River this year. Google 'Plateau Fire' to get an idea of the size of the fire.

The surviving game is going to migrate to other ranges and winter survival is going to be a major issue. That's a pity, as I'm seeing more deer this year than in years past.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 04:08:22 PM »
I've already come to that conclusion.

As a result of the ongoing wildfire situation west and south of us (500,000 hectares burned), we expect a total ban on hunting west of the Fraser River this year. Google 'Plateau Fire' to get an idea of the size of the fire.

The surviving game is going to migrate to other ranges and winter survival is going to be a major issue. That's a pity, as I'm seeing more deer this year than in years past.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe they'll recover in a couple of years. We had a horrible brought here from around 2010 to 2015, but the deer recovered remarkably fast. I'm a firm believer that fires and droughts weed out the weaker of the species.

CHT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com