Author Topic: Would I be banned if....  (Read 2597 times)

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Would I be banned if....
« on: August 21, 2017, 08:46:22 PM »
I was to cut the curve off my stock and add a recoil pad? I would cover it with a cool leather cover. I really need an inch or two more length of pull.
King Medallion

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: Would I be banned if....
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 05:06:46 AM »
Heres plan "B" (just in case they hear what ya gonna do and come for ya)
I went in the salvage store (op shop they call em here) and I got an old timey waistcoat - sewed a pad on the shoulder area of sheepskin with wool aboot 11/2" long - it was home tanned and eventually came unstuck so next try I covered that all over with a patch of suede leather from an old coat - I wear that for most of my heavy calibre shooting (348,45/70, n the 76) I reckon you get most of an inch extra from the feel of it (I dont need that bein built kinda close to the ground - but its ok too)  - I just looked at my 76 tryin to imagine what ya could do ........without gettin banned -- cuttin the curve off is gonna uglify it -- if you was Dusty Texian - go make a new stock - a couple inches longer and shotgun style buttplate .....

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 05:55:50 AM »
Banned youd be Tarred and Feathered ! ,,,, DT

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:23:47 AM »

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 08:18:08 AM »
LOL! I don't have the skills DT has, lol, or the patience. Nor the cash for a custom set of stocks. I'll figger something out.
King Medallion

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 09:34:55 AM »
Here what I'd do..... pull the butt plate ,,, make a spacer to match the radius the 1" - 1 1/2  the shotgun cut the end add a plate
and your cover....only use the screw mount holes ...and it's removable/ restore-able .

Easy , non-evasive and achieves you needs
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 09:54:32 AM »
the nicest fix is to get a cheap walnut blank off ebay, bandsaw out using yours as a pattern with the extra length. honesty a '76 stock is a pretty simple shape to make. i have done this to 2 1886 brownings for the extra length of pull.
best
kw

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 09:55:54 AM »
Nah.  You'd just be tied to stake near an ant hill and coated in Honey > > > > > >

An ill fitting stock is a Pain.  Literally, a PAIN.  If it needs extended, extend it.  The absolute best way is to have a custom stock made.  That ain't exactly cheap.  Do you own a nice power chop saw??  Remove the butt plate and cut the stock square.  Scrounge up an old shotgun butt stock and cut it square.  Scrounge up a "Biscuit Cutter" and install the shotgun piece with biscuits and glue the whole shebang up solid.  Sand/Shape the new piece to match the rifle stock then re-finish the whole thing.  Since the shotgun stock you scrounged up has a nifty steel butt plate, screw it back on and shape it with a fine cut file.  Or install an nice Pacmyre Pillow.  Be well worth the effort.  The wood won't match ... but who cares??  The gun will fit ya and be a whole bunch more fun to play with.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 10:13:46 AM »
Major's idea is the best as you don't damage the original stock. In fact you can add a little more if needed.  I'm 6'4" and have added wood spacers under shotgun pads numerous times to get a better fit.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 10:33:06 AM »
A suggestion, worth exactly what you paid for it....

I like curved butts, just not so much on my rifles... ;D

For my '73 rifle, I made a filler that fit the existing butt contour and shaped the shoulder side to match my taste.  I then (temporarily) taped this filler to the butt and made a leather cover for the stock and butt.  Once the cover was completed, I glued the spacer/filler to the stock cover.  You can use this approach to change the contour and/or length of pull.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com