Author Topic: Chasing the 300 Meter Pig  (Read 7553 times)

Offline Yeso Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
Re: Chasing the 300 Meter Pig
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2017, 11:04:17 PM »
I reached a point with Swiss powder in 44/40 that I actually lost velocity with added compression. Not so with OE.
wM1

Howdy Wildman,
     Now that I find interesting.  I am a brand new "new comer" to Olde Eynsford having always shot Swiss.  I was bound and determined to make Swiss work and so shot 3 Swiss loads to 1 OE.  Finally, I had enough O.E. data that I couldn't ignore the fact that it was handily beating Swiss in the group department while being just right behind Swiss in the SD dept.  So, I was just about out of OE and ordered more.  :)

Here are a couple of questions. 
The 1st lot of O.E.......I was shooting 36 gr. that was averaging 1284 fps. after the fouler. 
The 2nd lot of OE has averaged 1254 fps after the fouler.  (same load) 

So, that is 30 fps. difference between lots.  Is that normal?

Luckily, I was able to find ten pounds of the 1st lot the other day. 

But, the really good groups in the picture were shot with the second lot.

So....Is this a peek into the "true black powder world", always chasing an elusive lot number?   :'(

Billy   

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Chasing the 300 Meter Pig
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 05:44:20 AM »
I too use a chrony.
Having said that I will say it is to get me in a ballpark where I want my velocity.
Something I don't understand is some of my best groups were NOT the closest in SD.
OE has a softer fouling residue than Swiss, here in the desert that is important.
I have one rifle that doesn't shoot as well with OE as it does with Swiss.
When I start with a new batch of BP I will do a couple of loads and get my average where I want my velocity to be.
OE is lighter comparing volume to volume than Swiss, it is also a little hotter.
If I remember correctly max compression for Swiss is about 1/8", OE  about 1/4" seems to work the best.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com