Author Topic: What do you carry your balls in?  (Read 6963 times)

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What do you carry your balls in?
« on: August 15, 2017, 09:40:40 PM »
No snickering, this is a serious question. I’ve seen reproduction cartridge boxes, reproduction percussion cap tins, but don’t see much about how people carry their cap and ball ammo. So I’m curious, what do you carry your lead balls/bullets in? A leather pouch, or something else?
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: What do you carry your balls in?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:54:55 PM »
I cast my own and keep them in the same empty boxes that Hornady & Speer uses. They hold about 100 each and stack nicely.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Back Roads

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Making Smoke The Old Way
  • NCOWS #: 3724
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 11:06:54 PM »
I use a small leather pouch with draw strings. Put in 30 or 40, plenty to get me through the shoot. Replenish as needed.

Back Roads
NRA Life
Shooter of BP, STORM #430
NCOWS, Alabama Bushwhackers
Alabama Gun Collector's Assn. Life

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:24:04 AM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 11:14:04 PM »
Too late, already started snickering when your title popped up in unread posts.  And by the way, none of you bizznes.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 11:39:56 PM »
About 49 years ago I made a belt pouch with two pockets, one for .44 and one for .50 round ball.  It had flaps for each with the kind of fasteners that were still found on U. S. military holsters through the 1911 era.  I put a four inch long belt loop on it fit my three inch GP belt.  It matches my shooting bag and a holster for an 1860 Army revolver.  I have a sheath for my belt knife that is the same color but much more ornate than the rest of the rig.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Flatbush

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 03:35:31 AM »
I use an unpainted metal tin, similar to an Altoids tin but larger. I put a divider in it so it will hold over one hundred balls on one side, and over one hundred lubed wads on the other side.

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 07:32:41 AM »
I use a burlap draw string bag purchased at Hobby Lobby.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 09:29:34 AM »
Made a pouch from buckskin some 35-37 years ago. When out walking and plinking along a river or any where shooting can be done safely, I carry my wads in an Ol' Sucrets tin I burned the paint off of and blued. The buckskin pouch with balls and tin of wads, I carry in a Russian double ammo pouch of the style you get with WW2 era Mosin 7.62x54 rifles. Sometimes I strap two of these pouch's on if I'm shooting two calibers of percussion's. They work good for anything ya want to carry, spare metallic ammo, percussion caps, small tools, etc. May not be pre-1900, but they work, the bugs along the river don't care and who counts bugs? (Jubal, there's an opening for ya)!
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 11:51:26 AM »
 ... the original plastic lid box with my own cast balls in the range box
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 11:59:20 AM »
a fringed bag made from brain tan or suede (I have several).   They go into a saddlebag pouch that has the rest of what I need. 

I also have a "purse" I bought at an Eddie Bauer outlet about 20 years ago.  I honestly cannot imagine it was made for women, or as my wife pointed out, as ugly as it is that is why it was at the outlet.  I works perfect to hold everything to shoot C&B revolvers, and all the needs stay separated.   

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 01:23:15 PM »
Same box that they come in. Hornady.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 06:54:21 PM »
Well ... I have this swell Knity Pouchy thingie (snicker snicker) that ....................

They stay stored in the manufacturers container until use.  Come day before match day, I transfer enough for the match plus some into a caliber specific Dillion General Purpose Box that also has my Scoop, Funnel, Pic, Capper and Plastic Screwdriver Handle in it.  Since I load off the gun, I set everything at a convenient spot for loading.

I don't carry Cap Guns on Walkabout.  I have several rather nasty Suppository guns for Walkabout.

44caliberkid

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 08:35:08 PM »
A draw string pouch made from a bull scrotum. No, not really. I use the plastic boxes that jacketed bullets come in, that I load in modern calibers.

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 09:44:33 PM »
No snickering, this is a serious question. I’ve seen reproduction cartridge boxes, reproduction percussion cap tins, but don’t see much about how people carry their cap and ball ammo. So I’m curious, what do you carry your lead balls/bullets in? A leather pouch, or something else?

A large leather pouch....OK...it's my wife's purse, but sometimes she lets me take them out....

CHT

Offline Yeso Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 09:55:00 PM »
I carry mine in the small Crown Royal Bags.  The draw string has a leather tag on it stating the size. 

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 09:35:39 PM »
At a shoot I carry the balls in a Ibuprofen bottle  or Leather bag .
Holds enough for the whole day .
And at home ,I keeps the balls just in a big box so I know when its time to make more .

Rooster Ron Wayne
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 05:53:30 PM »
For .36 cal. I take some fired .357 mag cases and dump the powder in (18-20 gr. or to your taste). I press the ball thumb tight on the open mouth of the filled case. Store them in plastic ammo boxes or wrap 5 or 6 in some aluminum foil and carry in an ammo/cap pouch. Caps in a cap dispenser and lubed wads in chawin' baccy containers. In use, pinch off the ball and dump the powder down the chamber then place first the lubed wad then the ball on top & ram. Cap when ready per the usual drill.

For .44 I do the same with outside-sized .45 LC cases.

Neat, reasonably quick and waterproof unless totally dunked. You don't have to carry all them makins & doo dads. They can stay in the bed wagon until needed.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 07:59:20 AM »
For EPP-UG 45 Cal lube sized bullets I use my DD Evidence Vials.  They are stacked in there, 5ea, and ready to load.  At the loading table I put the cylinder(s) on my Tower of Power loading stand, drop in 5 chambers of powder, set the lube sized bullets over the powder and seat them and put the cylinder(s) back in the gun(s).  When it's my turn at the loading table I cap the cylinders and presto pronto, I'm ready for action when called to the stage.  No wads, over ball smears or other accoutrements are needed because those bullets haul all the grease needed.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 11:49:43 AM »
Here is the contents of my possibles bag.  The ball bag is a molded rawhide bag with plug that will hold about 70 .36 cal roundballs, and 50 .44s.  Lubed wads are in old Altoids tins.  The flask is a silver plated Florentine flask that holds from 75 to 100 shots.  Swithcing fro .36 to .44 caliber involves swapping the ball bag, altoids tin, and flask spout.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 03:26:49 PM »
Very nice, Fingers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com