Author Topic: Brand New Nickel Uberti Schofield  (Read 7557 times)

Offline Jack Straw

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #1562
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Brand New Nickel Uberti Schofield
« on: August 15, 2017, 04:38:26 PM »
It's been ages since I posted here.  It's good to see the site still active.

I have been a Schofield fancier for a long time.  I've used Ubertis in many CAS matches and have been served well by the four I've owned.  I'd been wanting a nickel plated model for a while and just picked one up in .45 with the 7" bbl.

First range trip this morning was successful.  Action is quite smooth but a little heavy and the trigger breaks cleanly at 4.75 lbs. I'll leave it alone for a couple hundred rounds before I do the basic polishing.   Fit and finish is just superb, and the "pearl" grips are fitted perfectly.  I put about 50 rounds downrange and with 230gr. round nose lead at 770 fps in Schofield cases the point of aim is dead on for a center hold at 15 yards.  Windage was perfect.  I shot a few 180 gr. RNFP loads and as expected they shot considerably lower than the 230 slugs.

It's good to see a steady interest in these great revolvers.  I'm after a 3.5" model now.

Online Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Re: Brand New Nickel Uberti Schofield
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 05:32:30 PM »
Extremely nice looking revolver. Classic. Do you shoot your Schofields duelist or 2 handed?  I'm a real big fan of Webleys, the other top break. I would love to try out one of these but I only shoot duelist. Hopefully I'll get to a match where I can borrow one to try.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 06:53:52 PM »
You should put a "sunglasses required" warning on this thread!  8)

Nice looking revolver!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:34:25 PM »

Offline Jack Straw

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #1562
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 09:22:50 PM »
Good point 'bout sunglasses Griff 8) 8)

Baltimore Ed;  I shoot any cowboy revolver only as the Good Lord intended.....one handed.  The Schofield works very nicely as a duelist style gun as the barrel axis is very low in your hand if you use a "high and tight" grip consequently the recoil tends to be more straight back rather than the way an SAA sorta rolls back in your hand.  For me it's easier to get back on target, particularly with full power loads (are there any other kind?).

Online Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 09:30:07 PM »
Very good Jack, we are indeed kindred souls but are you competitive as a Schofield duelist or just having a hell of a good time?
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 09:32:57 PM »
Ride a bike two handed .... I aim the pistol not steer it  ;)

Nice Jack  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Jack Straw

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #1562
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 09:44:19 PM »
Ed;
I first started using the Uberti Schofields around '96 and back then I can say I always won duelist in our club events in San Diego County.   Generally I'd finish in the top ten out of 60 to 80 shooters overall.   Nowadays the game has gotten so dumbed down (at least in SASS) that it's just a super close range speed shoot.   I don't try to compete with all the gamers now plus I'm just plain gettin' old so's it's just about fun these days for me.  I really wish there was some interest out here (I'm in Arizona now) in NCOWS as that could get my competitive urge kick started even at age 68.  Alas, none of the local match directors seem interested in anything but close in hose down matches. :( :(

Online Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 10:32:47 PM »
Sounds like you know how to operate those top breaks Jack. I'm in a similar boat here in eastern NC. At 66 I've grown away from SASS and SAs but would get involved with the GAF but there's nothing organized here in NC. I'm lucky that my club is a WASA/SASS club so I can shoot my DAs and 1911 in our monthly matches. We do alot of non sass stuff but our cowboys and girls can always compete. NCOWS groups are even farther away from me. I've put together a bunch of matches over the years and like you, like 'em smaller and or farther out. A suggestion, ask your match director if he wants a month off and create your own match the way you want it. Run it by the MD for a safety check and see what happens. I'll tell you now you won't please everybody but I'm sure there are guys like us who would like a little challenge for a change. I've done The Wizard Of Oz, Inglorious Bastards, The Professionals and The Wild Bunch to name a few of my match creations. I used a colt 1911.22 conversion unit or a .22 vaquero revolver  (5rds)(shooters choice) as a 3rd handgun in my WB match. You had to carry Dorothys ruby slipper during each stage for the Oz shoot. I'll tell you what I used to say to the guys I worked with whenever they started to bitch about what the last shift didn't do and they had to finish, "you gotta play the hand you're dealt."
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline G Bulldog Grainisland III

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 12:08:42 AM »
Great piece!

Not this is off-topic question, but since this forum seems most knowledgeble I'll shoot ;) :

Does anyone know if one could shoot IPSC revolver division with Schofield? The rules don't seem to specify double action so...
Furthermore: does anyone actually do this? My reason for asking is that as a south paw wheel gun IPSC seems to be out of question - just can't master reloads, clumsy me. Hence, I've been thinking/dreaming would this work.

-Bulldog

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »
Great piece!

Not this is off-topic question, but since this forum seems most knowledgeble I'll shoot ;) :

Does anyone know if one could shoot IPSC revolver division with Schofield? The rules don't seem to specify double action so...
Furthermore: does anyone actually do this? My reason for asking is that as a south paw wheel gun IPSC seems to be out of question - just can't master reloads, clumsy me. Hence, I've been thinking/dreaming would this work.

-Bulldog

You could use 45 Colt speed loaders!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 01:37:07 PM »
Beautiful piece!  Of course I am partial to Schofields....
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Online Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 01:58:14 PM »
You could possibly ??? have the rear of your cylinder shaved like a lot of Webley revolvers were prior to import into the US after the war and use moon clips and .45 acps if the cylinder dimensions jive. You couldn't use Schofield brass any more though, but Auto Rim would work. With the shorter cylinder, the difference between the Schofield loads and .45 acp wouldn't matter.
I'm  thinking I tried one of my Webleys in an ipsc match once but my 625s a lot smoother.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 02:29:36 PM »
Ed;
I first started using the Uberti Schofields around '96 and back then I can say I always won duelist in our club events in San Diego County.   Generally I'd finish in the top ten out of 60 to 80 shooters overall.   Nowadays the game has gotten so dumbed down (at least in SASS) that it's just a super close range speed shoot.   I don't try to compete with all the gamers now plus I'm just plain gettin' old so's it's just about fun these days for me.  I really wish there was some interest out here (I'm in Arizona now) in NCOWS as that could get my competitive urge kick started even at age 68.  Alas, none of the local match directors seem interested in anything but close in hose down matches. :( :(

Sounds like you know how to operate those top breaks Jack. I'm in a similar boat here in eastern NC. At 66 I've grown away from SASS and SAs but would get involved with the GAF but there's nothing organized here in NC. I'm lucky that my club is a WASA/SASS club so I can shoot my DAs and 1911 in our monthly matches. We do alot of non sass stuff but our cowboys and girls can always compete. NCOWS groups are even farther away from me. I've put together a bunch of matches over the years and like you, like 'em smaller and or farther out. A suggestion, ask your match director if he wants a month off and create your own match the way you want it. Run it by the MD for a safety check and see what happens. I'll tell you now you won't please everybody but I'm sure there are guys like us who would like a little challenge for a change. I've done The Wizard Of Oz, Inglorious Bastards, The Professionals and The Wild Bunch to name a few of my match creations. I used a colt 1911.22 conversion unit or a .22 vaquero revolver  (5rds)(shooters choice) as a 3rd handgun in my WB match. You had to carry Dorothys ruby slipper during each stage for the Oz shoot. I'll tell you what I used to say to the guys I worked with whenever they started to bitch about what the last shift didn't do and they had to finish, "you gotta play the hand you're dealt."

You two are preaching to Choir, with me ( @ 69 )... I started NCOWS matches here in Florida for those very reasons.

I travel to some SC & Texas , I've been to Ind.  to get my fill ....  

I have a New Model # 3 Uberti and an original Russian .... Ed... I hope to travel up to one of your matches...

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 05:31:43 PM »
Jack,
nice looking pistola.  A guy showed me his earlier this year at Winter Range.  I don't think he was a competitor.  So I got to see it up close, and it sure was gorgeous, just like yours with the pearlite grip.  His was branded Stoeger.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 07:31:49 PM »
Ah ... for anyone really serious about running a Schofield in IPSC, there is an outfit that machines the Schofield cylinder for MoonClips and leaves sufficient rim shelf to continue running 45 Schofield cases.  Best of both worlds perhaps??  "TK Precision" me thinks??

PS:  Nope,  It's TK Custom Precision.  Or Google 45 Schofield Moon Clips

Online Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 12:56:48 AM »
Right you are Coffinmaker, I'd forgotten about those folks. They machined my J frame for moonclips/ .38 singles years ago. They do nice work.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline G Bulldog Grainisland III

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 07:03:46 AM »
Gents,

Thank you for the hints and advice! Must say that my itch is getting stronger still ;)

Also apologies for hijacking the thread

-Bulldog

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 10:59:23 AM »
Huh??

Your question was all about a New Nickel Schofield yes??  No Blood, No Bones sticking out, No problem.

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 03:38:07 PM »
That looks like a real beauty! Love the look.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com