Author Topic: Gripframe comparison to a Real Colt?  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Gripframe comparison to a Real Colt?
« on: August 12, 2017, 08:53:20 PM »
Which gripframe is closer to a real Colt?  The gripframe on an ASM - New Dakota or the gripframes on Cimarron Model P's (New or Old Model).

I have both types of firearms but would like to know which gripframe is actually closest in size to a real Colt.  It is obvious that the ASM is smaller than the Cim Model P.  The ASM was billed in the mid 90's as the best copy to a Colt.  But I am hoping that someone with a real Colt will comment or has made this comparison.

Also was the gripframe size on the ASM - nickelled brass New Dakota model the same as on the steel Hartford model?

I am hoping that Abilene can add some light to the question with all his experience/knowledge.

I really would like to know what a real Colt handles and feels like but don't think I will ever be able to own one.
Black River Smith

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Gripframe comparison to a Real Colt?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 09:15:32 PM »
I have Colt's and Ubertis but have never had an ASM.  They very well could be closer to Colt, I'm sure someone else will know.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 12:41:55 PM »
I Know!!  I Know!!  I Know!!  Call Me!!  Call Me!!

Hi BRS!!

The answer to your question is actually complex.  You specifically asked about the "Gripframe."  The actual Gripframe of ALL the guns you cite are really very close.  Not only to a "Colt" but to each other.  Also understand, 1st, 2d and 3rd Gen Colts are only "close" to each other.
By dimension, the closest reproductions to Colt are ASM and Pietta.

Now we have to consider the Grip itself.  The various grips are all over the place.  Colt wood grips are not the same as Colt Gutta Percha as Colt Ivory - etcetera.  The same applies to the Reproductions.  Different Colt built guns will feel different and different same manufacturer reproductions will feel different.  Specific caliber will have an effect.  A gun chambered in 45 Colt will "feel" much lighter than a 32-20.

Of currently available guns, in response to your question, go find a nice Pietta.  Current build Pietta (ala GW II) are about as close as your going to get.  Remember though, any change in caliber or grip material will change the "feel" entirely.

Coffinmaker

PS:  I forgot to add.  As close as ALL the Gripframes are to each other ...... they don't interchange with each other.  Bummer.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:11:51 AM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 01:15:28 AM »
+1 to Coffinmaker.  They are all clones so they are all very close.  The grips make the difference in feel.  For example, early plain sided thin second gen Colt grips feel nothing like the later fat second gens with the eagle on the bottom.  The original old three screw Rugers had the Colt profile.  They changed it for decades and reintroduced it on the New Vaquero.  (Not the original Vaquero.)  In fact the New Vaquero with the factory black plastic grips feels like an early 2nd Gen with the thin grips and no eagle.

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 10:08:05 AM »
Thanks for the guidance.
Black River Smith

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 07:26:22 PM »
A very long time ago, when gun shows had real guns and gun parts not junk, I was given for a Christmas gift, the trigger guard, back strap and real old aged yellow ivory one-piece grip from a civilian 1860 Army (not cut for the shoulder stock) numbered in the 22XX range my father got at a show. For a long time, it was attached to a Gen1 .45 colt revolver, and was a perfect fit.

When I started shooting CAS one of the guns acquired is a Uberti 1871 open top. My idea was those grips would look super cool on the Uberti. They are a perfect fit on the Uberti and still look super cool. Bill Hickok eat your heart out.
Yr’ Obt’ Svt’
Bunk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com