Author Topic: Cimarron/Uberti "Presidio Del Norte" 50/95 Range report.  (Read 6792 times)

Offline ATCDoktor

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Cimarron/Uberti "Presidio Del Norte" 50/95 Range report.
« on: August 10, 2017, 09:35:28 AM »
I have been a long time lurker here on the 1876 forum and have learned a great deal about my favorite Winchester Levergun and now it's time to put back into a forum that I've gotten so much pleasure and information from:

I ordered this rifle back in March and my LGS called yesterday morning and said it had arrived.

I went down and looked it over to make sure it was what I had ordered and that there were no glaring issues and as one would expect from Uberti/Cimarron it was perfect.

As just about everyone here knows this model is a saddle ring carbine with a 20" full octoganal barrel and button magazine.

Mine is serial number 31.

Bluing was very good, wood to metal fit excellent, sights were centered on the barrel and tight in their dovetails.

The dust cover slid easily on the top of the receiver, the loading gate operated easily and the bore was bright and shined like a house of mirrors.

The lever operated easily but was noticeably "tighter" than my Chaparrel model 1876 in 50/95.

Trigger pull is not what I'd call light but it was manageable and I'd estimate it broke at about 6 pounds.

After eyeballing it pretty hard, everything looked right so I filled out the paperwork, paid what was owed and about 30 seconds after the register "dinged" I was sideways out of the stores parking lot headed for the range.

The ammo I was using is a smokeless load I worked up for my Chaparrel 50/95 so I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised when it turned in groups of about 2" at 75 yards (although it printed 5" high).

Offhand at 100 yards it was easy to wear out a 12" steel plate using a 6 O'clock hold as long as I didn't let the wind push me around too much.

The engraving on the left side of the receiver is tastefully done and unobtrusive. The guys at my LGS had no idea that it was even engraved till I pointed it out.

I'm extremely pleased with my purchase and am looking forward to working up a load that'll print more closely to the point of aim and it is my plan to take it hunting this fall.

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cimarron/Uberti "Presidio Del Norte" 50/95 Range report.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 09:42:26 AM »
You have one beautiful rifle. I was planning on getting an 1873 repro as my first lever-action rifle (way down the road, unfortunately), but I might have to go for one of these. They're just way too cool.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 09:57:02 AM »
This is the first pic I've seen of a production gun.  The sample that Cimarron had at Shot Show had the rear sight much further forward on the barrel for some reason, which shortened up the sight radius quite a bit.  Glad to see it is in a more useful place now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:40:32 PM »

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 10:19:21 AM »
Great looking rifle . Thanks for the report. Should make a fine hunting rifle. ,,,,DT

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 11:59:25 AM »
A beautiful rifle!  Hope it brings you many happy hours on the range and in the field.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 02:16:21 PM »
Thanks for the excellent report and photos!  I'm interested by the notches in front of the cartridge lifter.  Did the original have those?

That is a pretty cool rifle.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline ATCDoktor

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 06:49:04 PM »
Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it

I'm interested by the notches in front of the cartridge lifter.  Did the original have those?

I don't know what you the story on the receiver notches is, could be the original had them but I don't know (I know I have never seen another Model 76 that had them).

So far, I have about 100 rounds through this rifle and everything is working fine.

I'm pleased with the accuracy I'm getting but the Point of Impact being 5 inches high is a bit disconcerting.

Does anyone know if there's a source for replacement front sights for the Model 76 that will match the dovetail on the Uberti Rifles?

I have a feeling they used what they (Uberti/Cimarron) had on hand with little thought to regulating the POI to be the same as the point of aim.

Any guidance on a source for front sights would be greatly appreciated.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 10:11:44 PM »
Should be 3/8"  dovetail. I had purchased a bag of Marble sights for $20 on ebay that had the correct brass bead sight for mine.
King Medallion

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 01:20:13 AM »
Thanks for the excellent report and photos!  I'm interested by the notches in front of the cartridge lifter.  Did the original have those?

That is a pretty cool rifle.

CC Griff

Yes, the original carbine had the notches.  Reason why is unknown (but we can make up stories).

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 09:25:08 AM »
What is your reload recipe and do you know the rate of twist on this little baby? mine is supposedly on its way but there is some "drama" associated with it!

Offline ATCDoktor

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 10:19:46 PM »
What is your reload recipe and do you know the rate of twist on this little baby? mine is supposedly on its way but there is some "drama" associated with it!

Oh man, I hate to hear there's drama associated with your order, nothing worse than that.

Reference my ammo, the load I use is 42 grains of IMR 4198 and a 350 grain hardcast bullet sized .512.

When I do my part (and squint real hard to get the front sight tip real clear in my sight picture) it'll turn in groups like this at 75 yards:

The above mentioned load gives my an average of 1450 fps for 5 shots as measured by my Labradar chronograph:

Based on my rough calculations (a tight patch in the bore using a piece of tape on a free spinning cleaning rod) it appears the barrels rate of twist is 1 turn in 48 inches.

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 07:30:23 PM »
So! Got the call that my new Presidio model has been shipped and should have it sometime next week. Since I already have the dies and components I will be putting together 20 rounds to break it in upon receipt.  I have 300 grain lead bullets that are sized . 512 and some 365 grain that are sized .516.  Thoughts on the load suggested? I think the 350s that printed at 75 yards were real beauties. But mine are either a bit lighter or a little bit heavier.  I was thinking of just pouring in a bunch of Goex 2f but am
Earning towards the smokeless for the first go round .   

Offline ATCDoktor

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 11:22:05 PM »
From my post above:

Reference my ammo, the load I use is 42 grains of IMR 4198 and a 350 grain hardcast bullet sized .512.

I would try the 350's that you have with the load I suggested and see how they do.

The 350 grain bullets you have are a little larger in diameter than the ones I use, but mine actually weigh about 365 grains.

I would expect yours will shoot quite well with that load (depending on how hard/soft your bullets are).

Please let us know how it shoots, I'll be interested in seeing if yours shoots as high as mine does (mine prints about 6" high at 100 yards).

Offline frimath

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 10:28:24 AM »
Good News!

My Texas Ranger/Presidio Del Norte carbine landed yesterday!!  I'm very pleased with it's arrival. The "drama" supposedly has been addressed and was shipped to me along with it's serial numbered "sister'.

I'm very pleased with the metal to wood fit, but all of my Uberti's over the years have exhibited the same quality in the regard. The bluing is even , deep and dark. Almost a "black" satin finish, and well polished. The stock is a very nice "Winchester red", and while the figure in the wood is quite ordinary I am thrilled that it has a hand rubbed appearance and satin like sheen. No need to "knock it down" in order to remove too much gloss.

It seems to handle a little muzzle heavy even with the very short barrel. Not complaining mind you, and I am hopeful that it will help in whatever recoil is going to be generated with this little baby. The "hole" in the end of the muzzle is huge! the sights are easily picked up by my eye and the action is pretty decent right out of the box. My experience has been that the brass carrier smooths out very nicely and quickly on these types of rifles ( I have a NWMP Carbine as well) and I am looking forward to bringing it to the range to wring it out!!!!!!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com