Author Topic: Opinions on Next Purchase  (Read 11804 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
Re: Opinions on Next Purchase
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 02:02:31 AM »
This OT is in 44 and if the need arises to pair main match .... it's used with the Nickeled 44 Colt Type II above & my 44 Special 73
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 08:21:13 AM »
Troy,

I appreciate all your "help" - really!

However, after what that HRA Henry cost me, I'm not going to much around with modifications.  : :o  I like my 44-40's in it.  : ;D

I feel your pain.  I bought an HRA Henry in 44-40 in June.  I've not used it in a match yet.  Probably will the end of this month at TRR.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 10:45:30 AM »
Good Troy ....... GOOD GRIEF!!!!  :o

You gotz a brandy knew to yew HRA Henry in JUNE!!  And you haven't played with it YET??  Thats JUNE - JULY - AUGUST - Three months!!  You could go BLIND!!  8) Depravation like that can cause irreversible Hand Tremmors and uncontrolled SNEEZING.  :-X Not to mention a runny nose and smelly feet (built upside down??).  Failure to exercise it regular like could also cause seizures (somebody seizure rifle and swipes it).   8)   Now, get out there and get that rifle DIRTY  ;D

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:44:06 AM »

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 10:51:23 AM »
Good Troy ....... GOOD GRIEF!!!!  :o

You gotz a brandy knew to yew HRA Henry in JUNE!!  And you haven't played with it YET??  Thats JUNE - JULY - AUGUST - Three months!!  You could go BLIND!!  8) Depravation like that can cause irreversible Hand Tremmors and uncontrolled SNEEZING.  :-X Not to mention a runny nose and smelly feet (built upside down??).  Failure to exercise it regular like could also cause seizures (somebody seizure rifle and swipes it).   8)   Now, get out there and get that rifle DIRTY  ;D

Oh believe me...it has see range time, just not "match" time!  My only regret was that I didn't use it at the GAF Grand Muster.  I used my Spencer Carbine in 56-50, and had fouling problems ( TDB if this was the actual cause...I'm reloading more ammo with more lube this week) and I had the worst total time!
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 04:48:14 PM »
You will find Abilene to be an expert on the Cimarron Firearms. He has the inside track for sure.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 04:57:06 PM »
Hey Abilene, in case you hadn't read my post, Jamie sent me a Type II Richards to do a T&E article for Cowboy Chronicle.  Chronicle reinstated me as a staff writer after a four year hiatus.  I did a ton of article for Mike prior to 2012.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 08:58:09 PM »
Hey Abilene, in case you hadn't read my post, Jamie sent me a Type II Richards to do a T&E article for Cowboy Chronicle.  Chronicle reinstated me as a staff writer after a four year hiatus.  I did a ton of article for Mike prior to 2012.

Yeah, I saw.  Cool beans.  Oh yeah, I've read your articles for years (well, probably not all of them as I have left a lot of unread articles in those Chronicles, and they are in a 3 foot tall stack at home that I'll probably never get around to finishing!) and saw the latest about the Thunderer snubbies.  Just FYI, they (Taylors) don't use the word "Thunderer" any more on those guns, as that name is trademarked.

Not sure if you want to add to your article, but the first Type II's Uberti made had a short ejector rod, because that is the way the original was made that Mike sent to Italy to copy.  But it made it hard to eject empties, so they switched to the longer rod (which most of the originals had anyway).  If anyone out there still has one with the short ejector, they can just call Cimarron and they will be sent a standard length rod.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 11:02:33 PM »
Thanks Pard, I will add that to the article.  I had Jamie get background from Mike, but that escaped her.  You wait until you see this article and photos.  It will knock you socks off.  Truly a labor of love.  Probably October or November issue.  Be nice to have it in the Print edition.  I'll talk to Skinny.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 12:55:12 AM »
I look forward to it but do hope you include some BP in the testing.  The gun begs for it!

I picked my Type II (which is a .38 so has the Navy frame) from 5 in stock, mainly based on nicest case colors  ;D

I knew I was going to be changing the grip to Navy so didn't care about how the grip looked (most were pretty plain).  And the actions varied some, but they all felt pretty clunky.  Fortunately a change of springs was all it took to make it feel quite nice.  And I dropped a #10 stainless split washer down the arbor hole to snug up the gun.  I have a bag of them, because I occasionally forget it is in there when I take it apart and... 

Now, mine is fine with smokeless but would not get through two shots of BP due to a practically non-existent cylinder to barrel gap, with the wedge backed out as far as possible.  Last week at a match a friend brought his facing cutter  We took a bit off, not much.  At the next match I will test it again.  I have several sets of guns, but got this to shoot with a '51 RM as my main match guns to give my engraved RM's a rest for a while.  So it has got to shoot BP, since I do that at about half the matches.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 07:14:57 AM »
Well, I stopped by Texas Jack's yesterday and picked up the pair of Type II's in 44 Special.  I put 50 rounds through each (coughed up for a box of 44 Colt and 44 Russian).  Both functioned well and hit the rock I was aiming at - so far, so good.

Now I'll drop them off at my local smithy and have the tuned, the internals hardened and have the Ruger coil hand spring modification - I assume that is still needed on these Type II's?

I think I'll load 44 Colt ammo - BP naturally.  More experimenting to do, and they'll make a great pair with the HRA Henry at matches.

Life is good.........
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 09:23:52 PM »
Dropped the 44's off at the smithy this afternoon.  We've decided to correct the barrel/cylinder gap by cutting a little off the barrels and recutting the forcing cones.  We'd both rather do that than put a washer under the arbor and decreasing the thread engagement.

I should have them back sometime next week.  I've got my reloading stuff ordered and should have ammo ready by the time I get the guns back.
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2017, 09:52:20 PM »
BP Burn.

I probably shouldn't jump into this decision, but what you and your "smith" are planning is NOT the way to correct your Barrel to Cylinder gap.  The very FIRST thing you should be doing is correcting the Barrel to Arbor fit.  You DO NOT do that by shimming the Arbor out of the frame.  It's done by shimming the FRONT of the Arbor.

Before you remove any metal from the barrel, find Larsen E. Pettifoggers tutorial for fixing the Barrel to Arbor fit for Uberti Open Top guns.
It is on "The Open Range."

Not my Circus, not my Elephants.  Your Choice.   

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2017, 01:21:10 AM »
BPB ... reconsider what you and your  "the  smithy"  are about to do .....
you are headed down a costly highway, which will after "the smithy"  bill ,  see you purchasing 2 new replacement barrels, to replace your ruint ones.

heed the words of Coffin maker & Larsen E. Pettifogger....
Friendly advise offered , to save you $$$ & your two new Type II's

STOP read & heed !  your outcome will be way more harmonious ....

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2017, 08:46:26 AM »
Thanks guys, that's why I discuss this here - so y'all can keep me out of trouble.

I've downloaded the articles and passed them along to my gunsmith.  He's going to read up on them before he works on mine.  He's an excellent custom gun maker and machinist, but doesn't have y'alls depth of experience in this area.

He was appreciative of the information.
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2017, 04:27:39 PM »
Your Smith is wise and his customer is as well  :)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2017, 05:42:43 PM »
It would be easy enough for someone who is unfamiliar with the arbor issue to be confused by the split washer comment, since putting the washer in the rear of the arbor actually would increase the length as well.  But yeah, dropping the washer down the arbor hole in the barrel is why I sometimes lose it when I take the barrel off.  If you've looked at Pettifogger's articles you understand the issue of the short arbor (or too deep of a hole in the barrel, whichever way you want to look at it), and the way he shows to fix it is the permanent fix.  The washer is a quick'n'easy way that Coffinmaker had suggested.  Really should be just temporary, but it works for me.  I mean, I shot the guns without doing anything about the arbors for thousands of rounds, but the wedges started getting a bit loose and the fix snugs it back up.  I also have never messed with the leaf hand spring and no problems in about 17 years.  But, that was only maybe 3000 rounds per gun since I shoot others as well, and I don't practice.  For serious competitors who will put the guns to hard use, the modifications will certainly have even more benefits than for just the casual shooter.

Oh BTW, I almost forgot, the washers go in my four '51 R-M's; my Type II which is less than a year old actually has very little gap between the arbor and the end of the barrel's arbor hole, and the split washer is too thick and won't fit in that one.  I used a very thin flat washer instead, but even then I could only barely insert the wedge.  I'm shooting it tomorrow without the washer at all (allows me to insert the wedge just a tad further) to see how it goes.  Maybe Uberti is getting better about this issue? (Kinda doubt it, but who knows?  Seems like not too long back someone mentioned getting a conversion or OT that he said had a good arbor fit).

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 09:03:11 PM »
Abilene ...

It's .... Luck.

Often, after having correct'd the Barrel/Arbor fit, one will have to re-fit the wedge.  Really fun when you get a gun inna shop and the owner has "re-fit" the wedge by driving it home with a Ball Peen Hammer.  I had to use a lot of heat and another Large Hammer and punch to get it back out.  Wedge slot inna barrel was kinda wonky too.  Interesting fella.  Not real bright but real interesting.  ::)

Even though it sounds kinda OxyMoron, there are also times we have to make the problem worse by removing some materiel from the end of an already too short arbor to make room for a proper permanent fix.  The split washer fix was meant to be quick and dirty as well as temporary.  However, I've heard from a few people who just kept track of the washer and found it worked well enough to be permanent.
As long as something works .... leave it alone??

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 09:20:43 PM »
... Interesting fella.  Not real bright but real interesting.  ::)...

Met a few of those, for sure.  :)

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2017, 10:09:28 PM »
I spoke to my gunsmith this afternoon after he read the articles. He was going to machine and permanently install a piece of naval brass to fit rather than use the Dillon locator pin approach.  I'm also having him do the plunger and coil spring modification as well as tune and harden the internals.  I think these guns will see quite a bit of use, and want them to be totally reliable.

I already think they're the most attractive set I have.  I do love the 1860 profile.  I can't wait to get them back and make smoke at our next match.  My HRA Henry, Type II's and Remington hammered double with Damascus barrels.  Now that's just about an ideal battery for my taste!  ;D
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2017, 04:33:58 AM »
"...My HRA Henry, Type II's and Remington hammered double with Damascus barrels.
Now that's just about an ideal battery for my taste!  "

a man after my own heart, we might just get along  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com