Author Topic: Help on deciding which '73?  (Read 8925 times)

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Re: Help on deciding which '73?
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 01:40:54 PM »
I just got a nice little carbine. haven't got it to a match yet, did just get it tunes tho.

King Medallion

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 05:04:14 PM »
Top and middle rifles are both 20" Uberti/taylor/cimarron.  Didn't get the 24" photos or they don't make it.  Love to have that top gun with a 1/2 oct 24".

Bottom is a 24" Winchester.

You can get that top gun from Cimarron with 24 inch 1/2 octagon. You'll have to order it. I've got one myself.

It is nice too, weight wise it handles about like a 20 inch barrel but has the longer sight radius of the 24.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 06:16:22 PM »
Cliff was kind enough to  send me a few pictures of his custom Uberti.  Outstanding rifle!  Thanks for the input.  I have a SASS race gun built with a half mag tube and a medium weight Shilen match barrel.   I chambered it for and shoot 45 Cowboy Specials  (holds 12) in that one so know the half round '24 was gonna be close for fast handling.   Also set back the rear sight to the maximum the elevator allows to extend the sight radius which Uberti does on their saddle rifle.  Will do that again.  I pushed the front sight forward some on the Shilen as well.   

Cliff's outstanding rifle....

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:45:52 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2017, 06:47:07 PM »
If you already have a race gun then look at the features you want and then see if either Uberti or Winchester makes what you want.  Either will give you good service.  I have both and each has its tuning benfits and detriments.  Again, if I were going to keep the gun basically stock, the Winchester is easier to tune.  Some people seem to go nuts over whether their Japanese or Italian clone is "authentic."  The only way to get an authentic gun is, of course, to purchase an original antique American made Winchester.  Neither of the clones is an exact copy.  Of the two the Uberti is closer to the original.

Cliff's rifle is a beaut.  To get that type of finish on a Winchester you would have to get the Navy Arms version with the Turnbull case hardening.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 06:49:55 PM »
yahoody, how did you post that picture? I was using photobucket but all that has changed and I can't figure out how to post pictures on here.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2017, 06:55:00 PM »
Quote from: Cliff Fendley
..how did you post that picture?

I copied and edited your photo to highlight your rifle and wood.  Then I added that photo to my own hosting system..and linked it here.   

Having a host that you totally control is the key.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 07:02:23 PM »
Just another option.

Another thing you can do with the finish if you want to keep it traditional but don't want to spring for the cost of real case coloring is just have Cimarron order one with an all blue receiver. Most original Winchesters were blued anyway.

My Cimarron 1876 rifle has a blued receiver and the last two 73s I ordered with blued receivers. They don't look plain at all especially with some fancy wood and checkering.

If I recall the cost of the US Finish bone case color hardening is 275 bucks but I don't think it cost any extra to order with a blued receiver. IMO I like an all blued gun instead of the standard chemical case coloring and in some ways like the blued guns equal to even the real case  bone and charcoal case hardening.

If I could figure out how to post a picture I'd post some of my other Cimarrons with solid blued receivers.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2017, 07:03:57 PM »
Fourty and King?  Gentlemen thank you for offering opinions on both ends of the spectrum.  Beautiful rifles!

And good luck at your first match!

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2017, 07:09:41 PM »
One thing I just found out is that if you export a photo to the desktop or otherwise size it so that it is below 400kb you can click on the little box just below the Italics box on the response page.  Two "img" signs will pop up.  You can paste your photo ID between the IMGs and it will come up. 

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2017, 07:10:02 PM »
Cliff, good comment.  Hadn't thought about it but sure makes sense.  My original well worn 38wcf Sporting rifle was made in 1894 and was blued.  Have yet to see a  case colored NEW Winchester but the blued 24" rifles with decent wood I have seen are a lot more like my original than my Ubertis are in some ways.  They are pretty rifles cosmetically to my eye.

High grade and checked wood would make a blued rifle really POP!.   Get that blue showing a little wear from use and I'd really like it. 

FWIW currently 60 days out for a 24" half round, checked wood.

6 months out or more for upgraded wood on the same gun.

With pricing still well under the Navy Arms/Turnbull Winchesters. 

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2017, 09:25:37 PM »
Cliff, good comment.  Hadn't thought about it but sure makes sense.  My original well worn 38wcf Sporting rifle was made in 1894 and was blued.  Have yet to see a  case colored NEW Winchester but the blued 24" rifles with decent wood I have seen are a lot more like my original than my Ubertis are in some ways.  They are pretty rifles cosmetically to my eye.

High grade and checked wood would make a blued rifle really POP!.   Get that blue showing a little wear from use and I'd really like it. 

FWIW currently 60 days out for a 24" half round, checked wood.

6 months out or more for upgraded wood on the same gun.

With pricing still well under the Navy Arms/Turnbull Winchesters. 

At least usually on the upgraded wood and if you get bone and charcoal case coloring keep in mind that has to be sent out once it reaches stateside and will add to the wait. The upside to all of it, after the wait you get what you want and there's not a thousand more floating around like it.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2017, 11:26:24 AM »
Hi

This is a month or so old, but I read both of Mike Venturino's books, Lever Guns of the Old West and Shooting Sixguns of the Old West.  In his books, Mike works up loads for the guns as well as using Factory stuff.  In both Lever guns and in SAA'a (most others also), the 44/40 was the most accurate.  The .45 LC was one of the least accurate.  I don't remember what the reason was, or if it was even given. 

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com