Author Topic: Why is right sidepplate so hard to get back on?  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Why is right sidepplate so hard to get back on?
« on: October 01, 2017, 08:38:09 PM »
Im trying to get my sideplate back on.  It came off relatively easy with a slight bump or tap.  Notif one side of tge plate fits into place, the other side wont go all the way down.  I try bumping it or tapping it with my wrist.  Videos on youtube just show it to pretty much fall into place

Offline cactus joe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Re: Why is right sidepplate so hard to get back on?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 09:34:22 PM »
Is the side plate maybe hitting up against the lifer spring?

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 09:58:03 PM »
I had a similar issue when my Uberti 1873 was new.  Sometimes it hung up on the loading gate, but it was always hard to replace. The front end needed to be seated first, then the back end could be tapped into place, but it was a very tight fit and the metal started to peen, making the problem worse. I eventually did a bit of filing and stoning, relieving some of the tightness and creating a slight bevel.  This resolved the issue.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:25:50 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 08:55:10 PM »

If you take a close look, you will notice the inside flat of the side plate has a dovetail type relief cut into it.  The bottom of the side plate opening has a corresponding mirror cut.  You need to slide the side plate down and into the opening and then a light tap at the top to seat it in place.

You may have to wiggle it around a little bit to find the sweet spot of fit.  DO NOT take a file or other sharp instrument to it or rather than fit, it will just flop around.  Fixing that can get REAL expensive.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 09:57:03 AM »
I should have clarified that I didn't touch the dovetailed area at all, but lightly reshaped the other side of the side plate to make it easier to tap into place.  It is most certainly not loose.  On the other hand, I completely bow to Coffinmaker's knowledge and experience; I'm not a gunsmith, nor to I play one on TV. My method worked for me, but I make no claims for anyone else.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 11:26:58 AM »
If you take a close look, you will notice the inside flat of the side plate has a dovetail type relief cut into it.  The bottom of the side plate opening has a corresponding mirror cut.  You need to slide the side plate down and into the opening and then a light tap at the top to seat it in place.

You may have to wiggle it around a little bit to find the sweet spot of fit.  DO NOT take a file or other sharp instrument to it or rather than fit, it will just flop around.  Fixing that can get REAL expensive.

I noticed that.  I finally got it back on.  Had to pop it hard with the herl of my wrist to get it to slip in place and pop. (Oddly, i had to hold it on so it wouldnt fall while putting the other sideplate back on.).  When it comes to sideplates on guns, i learned long ago, fo not pry or force because if you bend it, you're screwed)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com