Author Topic: Over my head, apparently  (Read 2574 times)

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Over my head, apparently
« on: August 05, 2017, 06:18:26 PM »
So my First Sergeant mentioned today that he'd been frustrated in his search for a gunsmith that could switch barrels on his Pietta 1858 Remington replica.  His front sight had fallen off, and his complaint to Pietta had resulted in them sending him a new barrel.  I foolishly opined that I'd be able to do that for him, since I owned several action wrenches and had removed and/or turned many SAA barrels over the years.  He sent it home with me today, and I broke quite a sweat trying to break that barrel free.  Ultimately, I sprung my vice, which is a very substantial piece of hardware that has served me without fail for many years. 

What's the trick?  Anyone removed one of these barrels before?  I tried Kroil soaking and heating the barrel (in case Pietta used some sort of locktite), but no amount of force was able to persuade the barrel to unscrew before it overwhelmed the barrel blocks and forced the vice open.   Since it is an octagon barrel, I assumed that some flat barrel blocks would suffice, but torquing on the frame just levered the vice jaws apart as if they were made of spring steel instead of the massive cast jaws that they are.  I hate to return his revolver with my apologies for having achieved nothing more than marking up his original barrel, but I fear I may have to do just that.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: Over my head, apparently
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 06:34:06 PM »
In the ideology,  " there are no stupid question's "   :-\

I'll ask ....why not replace the front sight ?   Pietta used to use a simple post,   ??? 

.... Uberti dove tails theirs ...perhaps you could just cut & install a dove tailed sight in the Pietta
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 09:24:51 PM »
That was my first suggestion to him.  Unfortunately, he had already tried to remove the barrel himself with, what I surmised, was a monkey wrench.  The original barrel is already scarred up with his previous attempts, and it is now additionally smudged with numerous aluminum gall marks from my attempts. I wish I'd just kept my mouth shut today.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:33:10 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 12:30:17 AM »
Ah. .... So the guy bubba'ed it , that answers the question... surprised Pietta would pony up a barrel  due to that circumstance  ???

Sounds like a case to " Bob it "  hideout gun or Bulldog style.

I believe I recall , Pietta sets the barrel with red Loctite  ...you could try mild heat to the frame  and then ice to the barrel ..

in the second video Mike B> mentions the barrel is glued in  ::)

I'd  bob it....I know Coffin maker would  ;D
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 01:52:32 AM »
yup. most of the italian remmies have their barrels glued in.
can't seem to tell which ones tho....
extraordinarily brief reply due to overwhelmed by events
yhs
prof mvl
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 12:06:07 PM »
Well ..  Well Well ..

Unfortunately .. or .. fortunately, depending on one's outlook.  I were onna road for a few days.  Shooting at an outa state CAS match.  I don't take my Lap Top onna road wid me and I don't use my ubiquitous iPhone to surf the web.  I take the opportunity of an "away" match to thoroughly relax.  Ignore the "real" world.  Play "Gunz."  Bust some caps, burn some powder.  Insult my usta B friends and make new friends.  That sort of thing.  SO:  What does all of this have to do with the OP??  You might ask??  NOTHING.  Absolutely .... nothing.  It (the foregoing) may be completely ignored.  Has nothing to do with the original sad tale of woe.  Except.  Couldn't contribute kernels of knowledge 'cause I didn't have my Kunkulator wid me.

Kernel of Knowledge time >>>> Both Pietta and Uberti show a propensity for glueing Remington barrels to Frames.  Luckily, said glue is of the "Red LocTite kind that will release with heat.  First, clamp up either the frame or the barrel in padded vise.  I suggest .... one or the other (grinning alot).  Apply heat to the join of barrel and frame.  Load the part that hangs free as you apply the heat.  When the glue releases, unscrew like crazy.

Now, if you know your going to be the maneiack .. er .. mechanic who works on the gun next, I suggest a slightly less solid glue as your adhesive of choice.  If, on the other hand, you know your never going to see it again, while grinning maniacally .... slather a goodly amount of RED LocTite on and twist it home.  The next poor sot to work in it will call you some really interesting things ................

I personally don't like Remingtons.  Original or reproduction.  Just don't like Remingtons. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com