Author Topic: "TR" laser engraved Cimarron?  (Read 17999 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: "TR" laser engraved Cimarron?
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 01:52:55 PM »
sfc rick, I have never heard of Baron Technology CNC engraving. Is the Ruger Vaquero you posted an example of such engraving?

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 01:59:40 PM »
I had added the wrong link previous.  Worth a read of the GUNS of the OLD WEST article...which mentions Baron as well.

Hard to believe the comments on the current state of laser engraving when you start making actual gun to gun comparisons.

Hard to believe as in "having never seen it".
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 05:38:52 PM »
I have seen quite a few, during  the last Shot Show in Las Vegas, and at  the IWA, in Germany, last Jan.

Yes, they are handsome but....nothing compares to the real engraving, in my opinion. They are very much 2D, while real engraving is 3D.

I can't help but notice that  boring flatness  every time I observe it. It also lacks all detail in the shading of the scrolls...which is a bit disturbing to the trained eye, and gives the impression of poor quality o  a beginners work.

Sorry it displeases you Llanero.

Do you understand that (except foryour informational posts) many of your comments come across as a "snooty snob", "better than everybody else"?

Most of  us are "working stiffs" that can't afford to pay $7K for a revolver!

When you try to compare factory laser engraving to hand engraved work, and dismiss the laser engraving with such comments as:

>I can't help but notice that  boring flatness  every time I observe it. It also lacks all detail in the shading of the scrolls...which is a bit >disturbing to the trained eye, and gives the impression of poor quality o  a beginners work.

That's like telling a fellow who is excited over his new (affordable) factory Italian sportscar that it just "doesn't have the appeal of a hand built Lamborghini" !

Then you are taking the "snooty snob" approach . Are the "rest of us " supposed to "do without" because the affordable laser cut engraving doesn't meet your standards? Do you really think that one can compare the two?  A better comparison is how much better the laser cut engraving is over the old "acid etching" .

prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:57:42 PM »

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 07:06:21 PM »
Funny really when you think about it.  Colt's were originally nothing but tools.  The factory learned early on under Samuel to carve the tools up and make them pretty which helped sales.

But they were nothing but tools back then.  Even the best master engravers are just scratching up metal with a hand chisel.  How deep it gets carved depends a lot of the engravers skills or lack of. 

I have engraved guns that have valleys carved deep into the metal...by  master engravers.  And I have one (now two as I bought a duplicate) laser engraved Piettas.   They aren't flat..no one who has actually seen and handled one would claim it was.  And frankly as a tool the laser engraving is more fitting in my mind than a hand engraved piece worth thousands of dollars.   Hand engraving a 3rd Gen Colt might well be questionable.  Adding hand engraving to a Pietta or a Uberti is a waste of time and money...again IMO.  Simply because the base guns have so very little value and no history. 

Think back to the hay day of the Colt SAA and every cowboy wanting one.  Who wouldn't want a fancy six gun?  Hand engraved, ivory, pearl and gold or silver finishes were top dollar.   They bought ivory and pearl and on occasion an engraved gun...but rarely.  Fancy guns or engraved guns were just too expensive for most working folk.  I have to think back then, as now, a lot of folks might actually like and want an engraved, PVC gripped Pietta.  It is a hell of a nice tool if one has the need...and pretty too.   I own a safe full of master engraved, matched pair,  Colts,  sporting ivory.   Funnier still that I think enough of the recent Pietta to buy a pair of them.     

Only one I need to please is me, and this pair of Pietta does that just fine.  The dollar invested has nothing to do with.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 07:29:16 PM »
I am with you, Yahoody!

As a C&B affecianado I am biding my time until I see the laser-engraved Pietta of my dreams!
I am *still* thinking about "Captain Schaeffers Colt "  even if the barrel is 1/2" too long ....

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 09:44:47 PM »
Ha... that's my gun  :)  I took that photo ( your welcome to use it )

Here is another ...only thing FLAT about it is.... "IT FLAT SHOOTS"

I use , Whyte Leather Works conical ....

I hand it to you, Yahooed ... you are the Jay Leno of gun collecting  ;)    

when planets align...do the deal !

sfc rick

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2017, 10:53:26 PM »
sfc rick, I have never heard of Baron Technology CNC engraving. Is the Ruger Vaquero you posted an example of such engraving?

Yes, my New Vaquero Deluxe Edition uses Baron Technologies  CNC'd process.

http://baronengraving.com/

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2017, 11:48:24 PM »
sfc rick, thanks for the reply. Actually, I'm sure I have seen that type of engraving now, I just didn't know it. I think it's very nice.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 06:44:58 PM »

llanerosolitario, none of the pictures you posted came through.  Recently Photobucket changed policy to a paid service, not free.  Perhaps you did not know about that.

As regards the Baron technology laser engraving, well we all have our own opinions, so here's mine.  I like very much some of the designs on their website.  However, I care not at all for what they did to the single actions, including the Ruger shown above.  No stippling may be part of it.  They just seem to lack artistic design, I guess.  Not sure how to put it.

llanerosolitario

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2017, 06:50:19 PM »
Thanks, I have noticed it rigth now, so my last post makes no sense.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 07:22:04 PM »
My Good Confessor Marvelous ...

If I might.  The "Capt. Schaeffer Colt" reproductions are coming in in small batches.  They are being built in limited number.  I have no clue how "limited" but "not a lot" comes to mind.  Ergo, it might behove, to place ones self on EMFs list of "Who's Wanting One" or "Who Wants Two" thereby insuring ones self the opportunity of ownership.

Once set up, the Capt. Schaeffer repros are absolute whiz Bangs to play with.  Understanding that under barrel loading lever is almost as useful as Teats on a Boar.  Loaded off gun with ones propellant of choice will generate a most harmonious experience.

Just a thought.  Oh, and they look REALLY KOOL!!

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2017, 01:05:48 AM »
Haven't been shooting in the last year until just recently. I could be doing better.
I liked the TR gun enough to buy another for a new brace of 7.5" guns. The second gun is even better than the first. Targets are 18 round groups of 250gr factory HS loads, 3 x 6 rounds, off hand at 15 yards.

New gun's target is on the left, original TR gun's target on the right. I shot the original gun first. The older gun has a lot better trigger than the one just out of the box. Still the new one shoots much closer to POA/POI. I have almost zero endurance right now to shooting groups. But either gun will shoot good groups. I am still impressed with these guns as a faithful reproduction of the 1st Gen Colt BP frames. I really like that they shoot! Not just another pretty face

Offline Jack Straw

• Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #1562
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2017, 06:33:05 PM »
That TR Cimarron Pietta is gorgeous.  I recently bought a Cimarron Pietta "two tone" SAA with laser engraving.  Not only is it very sharp looking I'm amazed by the smooth action and snug lock up.  The boss at my local gun shop had a look at it and inquired as to whether I paid extra for the nice action.

I may have to spring for a "Teddy" myself.  If a guy fancies a 5.5" bbl. the George Patton model is pretty hard to pass up as well.  The laser engraving is getting much nicer all the time.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2017, 10:53:11 PM »
Nice targets, looks like they are good shooters.

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2018, 02:23:11 PM »
Right off, I love the Cimarron TR model and would like to add one to the stable at some point. Probably along with a few other laser engraved SAA's.

I also agree with the critiques and don't think it comes off as "snooty" at all. It is what it is. There is a big difference between "real" hand engraving and laser engraving. Laser engraving is indeed "flat". It is greatly improved over years past but it still ain't the same and there's nothing "snooty" about pointing that out. I happen to appreciate all levels of good quality engraving for what they are and pretty much refuse to pay for master level work. I love my lasered Pietta's but it's absolutely true that they're not quite like the hand engraved guns but I enjoy them all the same. Because I didn't pay anywhere near what I paid for the hand work.

SASS #81,827

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2018, 08:43:51 PM »
As this thread had appeared again, I thought I'd show a related item.  In this video of Cimarron Show Guns:

The hand engraved Teddy Roosevelt Uberti is shown (along with its carved ivory grips like Teddy's gun) at the :32 point of the video. 

(I took all the pics shown in the video, mostly while packing guns to go to Shot Show.  Plus a few of my own in there  ;D )

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2018, 11:54:34 PM »
Good lookin' stuff in that video. I still drool over the Open Top with the carved naked lady grips.
SASS #81,827

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2018, 12:29:40 AM »
That's no lady.  That's Eve (holding the apple)   :)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2018, 04:20:39 AM »
As this thread had appeared again, I thought I'd show a related item.  In this video of Cimarron Show Guns:

The hand engraved Teddy Roosevelt Uberti is shown (along with its carved ivory grips like Teddy's gun) at the :32 point of the video. 

(I took all the pics shown in the video, mostly while packing guns to go to Shot Show.  Plus a few of my own in there  ;D )

WOW.... I've seen some of those ( including yours ) , but not put together like that... Stunning !
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2018, 06:20:31 PM »

Strange.  Or just different or just picky in my old age.  There I was, fat (yes) dumb (well not so much) and happy (very) building Cap Guns for myself and few friends.  Quickly settled on Pietta.  Building all sorts.  1860s, 1851s (real .36s), 1862s, and all of them were the standard guns, CCH and blue.  Some civilian, some martial (with those gawd awful extra screws) just having fun.

Then, I ran head on into the Pietta "Marshalls."  1851 pattern only in .44 and laser engraved.  I were smitten.  Since then, I have divested myself of all of my previous "Plane Jane" Cap Guns and concentrated strictly on laser engraved models.  I think they are absolutely superb.
Hand chased means absolutely nothing to me.  I can't afford the same level of engraving when it's hand chased as I can when it's done by laser.  The latest laser engraving is VERY nice. 

Now ..... I need bigger pay checks for more engraved toys  :D

PS:  Abilene gotz some really nice toys.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com