Author Topic: Yippee! Type II Richards coming my way!  (Read 15314 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: Yippee! Type II Richards coming my way!
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2017, 08:43:03 AM »
when do expect it will be for sale ?   ;D

LOL!  ;D
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2017, 09:46:50 AM »
Congrats, TL, now you've got me wanting another one... and I've already got a pair of 1872s in 45 Schofield and a pair of Richards IIs in 44. ;)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 10:49:32 AM »
Here she is.  I made up the box from a 45 Schofield Cheyenne Cartridge box and a label (from the batch I was emailing).  The .44 Colt rounds are originals from my collection, just for pictures.  

The carved Slim Jim is from a small shop called Possum Creek Leather.  It is copied from "Packing Iron" and is made specifically for the 1869 Richards Type II.  His info is: <daveh@catt.com>.  He does them custom, and it is not his full time business  The holster is gorgeous! 

He has some on Ebay right now: https://www.ebay.com/sch/daveh72hs/m.html?item=162620862137&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:06:01 AM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2017, 08:46:31 PM »
Finally getting to go to the indoor range to shoot my Richards Type II tomorrow!  I can't wait.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2017, 09:35:32 PM »
WOW!!  ;D. You have an indoor that allows BP ??  :o    Way KOOL!!   8)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 09:49:20 PM »
WOW!!  ;D. You have an indoor that allows BP ??  :o    Way KOOL!!   8)

Hahaha  No, they don't.  I am shooting smokeless tomorrow.  I'll have to go up into the woods to shot BP, though all I have is Triple 7 at the moment.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 02:39:38 PM »
Here she is.  I made up the box from a 45 Schofield Cheyenne Cartridge box and a label (from the batch I was emailing).  The .44 Colt rounds are originals from my collection, just for pictures.  

The carved Slim Jim is from a small shop called Possum Creek Leather.  It is copied from "Packing Iron" and is made specifically for the 1869 Richards Type II.  His info is: <daveh@catt.com>.  He does them custom, and it is not his full time business  The holster is gorgeous! 

He has some on Ebay right now: https://www.ebay.com/sch/daveh72hs/m.html?item=162620862137&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Looks great, look forward to the range report.  :)
USAF 72-76
DAV member

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2017, 09:27:48 PM »
Wow, it shoots high!  About 6-8" above POA at 7 yards.  Also my Open Tops did not mind the 7.0 of Trail Boss, but the Type II didn't like it.  I'll reload down to 6.0 and try again.  Also, I need to either replace the front sight with a taller one, or bob the nose of the hammer and recut the sight notch - thus "lowering" the rear sight.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 11:50:58 PM »
Looking at it at home, I think part of the problem is that the rear sight notch on the nose of the hammer is so tiny (it was barely a scratch on the nose of the hammer!), I was actually bringing the front sight up above it to see it, therefore shooting too high.  I took a triangular file. and cut a deep, generous notch in it, where the front sight is plainly visible without having to raise it above the rear sight.  I am betting this will drop it down to POI about 3" above POA, or a 6 o'clock hold, which is my preferred POA/POI combo. I call it my "pop can hold" because if you are shooting at cans, and you visually set the can on top of the front sight, you hit the center!  I will try it with some fresh loads with 6.0 grains Trail Boss next time I go.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2017, 06:29:28 AM »
Had to do the same thing to the rear sight on my conversion 1860 plus make the front sight higher and it still shoots high because I reduced the load using Trail Boss, lighter the load the higher it shoots.
If I remember right they used to say aim for the belt buckle hit em in the chest.
USAF 72-76
DAV member

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2017, 08:26:40 PM »
Update, I took a triangular file and opened up the rear sight notch on the hammer, so I can get a real sight picture, without raising the front sight above the nose of the hammer.  Taking it to the range tomorrow to see if it helps.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2017, 02:35:13 PM »
Range report -  What a difference.  10 shots at  7 yards basic group 1.5" with one flyer to 2 1/4".  Much better sight acquisition, too.  Point of imp[act was about 2-3 inches above point of aim.  Perfect.  I did not realize the difference on point of impact by having to raise the front sight slightly above the nose of the hammer would make.  Wow.  I am in love. 

I think dropping from 6.5 grains of trail boss to 5.9 to 6.0 made a noticeable difference in group size.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2017, 03:24:16 PM »
Hahaha  No, they don't.  I am shooting smokeless tomorrow.  I'll have to go up into the woods to shot BP, though all I have is Triple 7 at the moment.

What!? No belch and smoke in an open top?

That's just wrong. :(

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2017, 09:13:48 PM »

Too KOOL!!  My last step when sitting up a pair of Open Top Cap Guns is to open up the sight on the hammer so I can actually SEE the front sight.  Glad to see it coming together!!

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2017, 06:47:14 AM »
Haven`t got around to opening up mine yet been too busy cutting wood.
What weight bullet are you using, I`m loading a 230 grain lead over 4.8 grains of Trail Boss but it`s plenty light and raised the point of impact about three inch.
USAF 72-76
DAV member

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2017, 09:23:06 AM »
Haven`t got around to opening up mine yet been too busy cutting wood.
What weight bullet are you using, I`m loading a 230 grain lead over 4.8 grains of Trail Boss but it`s plenty light and raised the point of impact about three inch.

I'm using a Stateline Bullet Company 200 grain RNFP over 5.9 to 6 grains of Trail Boss.  A noticeable difference in recoil from the 7 grains I was using!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2017, 11:59:13 AM »
I'm using a Stateline Bullet Company 200 grain RNFP over 5.9 to 6 grains of Trail Boss.  A noticeable difference in recoil from the 7 grains I was using!

Yepper, guess I`m probably about right with my load and a heavier bullet then, just gotta get the sight dialed in now.  :)
Thanks.
USAF 72-76
DAV member

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2017, 01:06:56 PM »
Yepper, guess I`m probably about right with my load and a heavier bullet then, just gotta get the sight dialed in now.  :)
Thanks.

Heavier bullet prints higher. To lower the POI try a lighter bullet like some of the Big-Lube offerings.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2017, 01:38:29 PM »
Heavier bullet prints higher. To lower the POI try a lighter bullet like some of the Big-Lube offerings.

Yep, I have a mold for the 230 so I`ll stick with it with a lighter charge.  :)
USAF 72-76
DAV member

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2017, 07:22:00 PM »
Tuolumne,

I just came across a 2016 posting, where the poster stated that the conversion ring on the Richard's Type II he received had an integrally molded conversion ring to the frame rather than being a separte part like the originals.

What is the new Richard's that you received like, along these lines?

Thanks for the updated info.
Black River Smith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com