Author Topic: Yippee! Type II Richards coming my way!  (Read 15325 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Yippee! Type II Richards coming my way!
« on: August 02, 2017, 02:07:58 PM »
Just notified by Cimarron they are sending me an 8", Type II Richards Conversion, in .45 Colt for T&E for a Cowboy Chronicle Article on it.  Since I no longer have my own FFL, I unfortunately have to pay the dealer &  CA DROS fees on it. If I buy it at the end, that won't matter.  I love Open Tops, but Richards-Masons with the "S" lug barrel don't grab me.  The Richards with the 1860 barrel contour, though, makes me drool.

I will keep the camp posted....

Funny thing is, I was contemplating getting a Pietta 1860, and doing a Kirst gated conversion on it with ejector.  Problem is, that would be about $730 by the time I was done!  I am guessing the Cimarron Richards will be well south of that!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: Yippee! Type II Richards coming my way!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 03:17:25 PM »
The Richards II is my favorite of my three cartridge firing 'open top' Colts. I do have a 44 caliber Army grip Open Top (8") and a Army grip 5.5 " Richards-Mason in 38 Spec. Like them both, but the Army grip Richards II with its 44 caliber 8" barrel, big Ol' lug left over from the percussion ball rammer assembly and the rest of its looks and balance spewing out 44 cal bullets out of 44 Colt cases, powdered by FF Goex is my favorite. You'll like it TL. ;D

I've always thought of the possibilities of a Krist gated cylinder and an ejector converted to one or two of my cap and ball percussion revolvers, but always ignored the plan as by the time the cost of the revolver and Krist products were totaled up, you could buy a Uberti ready made conversion/Open Top for less. TL as you posted--
I was contemplating getting a Pietta 1860, and doing a Kirst gated conversion on it with ejector.  Problem is, that would be about $730 by the time I was done!  I am guessing the Cimarron Richards will be well south of that!

I rather leave my percussion collection 'percussion' and just buy a Uberti cartridge style open top revolver or Remington model. I'll spend $$$$ on guns, but doing my own conversion through Krist isn't in the plan.  Not slamming anyone who has done it or wants to do it, sells Krist, makes Krist, fits them for income, etc., but as TL hinted, a lot pricier than buying a ready to go conversion(of course, they all need some TLC to get em timed, shootin just right.) JMO
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 03:37:02 PM »
I`m jealous, can`t wait to see it.   8)
USAF 72-76
DAV member

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:14:28 PM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 05:42:19 PM »
I thought of asking for one in .44 Colt/Russian, but sold all my brass and dies to Major2 with the original S&W Russian.  I load lots of .45 Schofields for the Open Top and Schofield, so I went with it.  I believe there were some 5 shot .45 colt conversions to the 1860 done by Springfield Armory (according to McDowell).  I'll just pretend it is one of those...LOL
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 07:11:22 PM »
Huh ?  What ?  Who ?   

Yepper ...twuz me ...and my main match 44 Colt Type II

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:48:16 AM »
IMHO, the Richards conversions are definitely the best looking!
SASS #81,827

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 12:40:50 PM »
I agree.  I had a pair of Armi San Marco Type I Richards in .44 Colt (would not take Russian or Special).  I was really excited, and loved them.  Problem was, one worked perfect, and one worked 4 times out of 5...  Tried replacing cylinder pawl (hand, trigger and cylinder lock (?).  NOTHING WORKED.  They were both incredibly accurate, and sweet to shoot, but I was soured on them .  This was not long before ASM finally went belly up.  Their Schofields were an absolute nightmare, btw.

If I didn't have the Schofield and Open Top in .45 already, I would have opted for .44 Colt/Special to be more correct, but I already load too many calibers...  .45 Schofields will perform close to the .44 Colt, which actually has a .542 to .454" healed bullet, so just the case is wrong....
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 02:08:47 PM »
Yippeee!  It arrived at my FFL (though I can not pick it up for 2 1/2 Weeks because of our "one pistol every 30 days rule."

GORGEOUS!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 02:17:52 PM »
Why do you have to do this to me?  I was perfectly happy until I saw those photos.  That is pretty cool!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 02:57:02 PM »
Man, I can picture it now... a Richards Type II in one hand and an 1875 Schofield in the other...with an 1860 Henry Military model on a sling across my back.  That is 1875 Well heeled! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 04:26:38 PM »
I love an 1872 Open Top...they are graceful and balance well.. I love a Remington cartridge conversion...they have a retro neat factor... But NOTHING matches the shear "I'm 1871 and don't forget it" coolness of a Richards Type I or Type II with an 8" barrel.  They just mean "Business".  They were the Glock 17 "Wonder Nine" of the 1870s.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Pitchy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 05:10:56 PM »
She`s a beauty, cool beans for sure.  8)
USAF 72-76
DAV member

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 08:08:18 PM »
Went and visited my 1860 Richards Type II and my 1860 Henry in "jail" today at the gunshop!  Three more days and they will come home!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 07:03:35 AM »
Yippeee!  It arrived at my FFL (though I can not pick it up for 2 1/2 Weeks because of our "one pistol every 30 days rule."

GORGEOUS!
Went and visited my 1860 Richards Type II and my 1860 Henry in "jail" today at the gunshop!  Three more days and they will come home!

Man do you ever live in the wrong state. I'd either move or raise so much political 'H' with your commie state govt and toss all the anti-gunners and libs in the street. Just sayin! Just to do a little bragging, here in Iowa one day I payed for and walked out of my favorite gunshop with three hoglegs--"no jail time when those came in"!  ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline eljay

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 02:18:05 AM »
you blokes think you have it bad, ordered a Richards type11 in .38 on the 7th of December, received an email from my dealer 3 days ago saying it was in Melbourne, awaiting customs clearance. but that's not all, when it arrives at my dealer, I have to get a pistol acquisition form from my pistol club, attach that to my permit to acquire, pay $38.25 for the PTA, then wait anywhere between 2-6 weeks for it to be approved. DO NOT MOVE TO AUSTRALIA !!!

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 05:35:08 AM »
Not on my bucket list nor is the Peoples Republic of California ...  ::)

Nor visit New York , New Jersey ( who would anyway ),  Illinois or Connecticut where these Draconian Laws persist.
They won't miss me,  :-\  and I certainly won't miss spending my earned income or my taxed dollars there.

1860Henry

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 07:09:37 PM »
Amen, Major. We don't vacation in states which do not respect our rights.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 08:59:28 PM »
Nor will I spend any time or money in any state that has legalized recreational use of marijuana. Unless I can help it, I won't buy anything made in those states either. No sense adding to their tax revenues. Want my cash, get rid of dope. Hijacking the thread, but had to say it.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 08:59:13 PM »
Happy day, the Cimarron Richards Type II in .45 is officially home.  I'll try to do some photos tomorrow.  D@mn it is a beautiful piece.  With this and my Schofield (and my new 44-40 1860 Henry), I feel complete....
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2017, 01:24:57 AM »
Happy day, the Cimarron Richards Type II in .45 is officially home.  I'll try to do some photos tomorrow.  D@mn it is a beautiful piece.  With this and my Schofield (and my new 44-40 1860 Henry), I feel complete....

when do expect it will be for sale ?   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com