Author Topic: Shooting the Breeze !  (Read 19651 times)

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Shooting the Breeze !
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 02:27:59 PM »
My personal favorite is my 1876 with the shotgun butt stock.  That said, I shoot my Uberti 76 in 45/60 more often.   ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 02:36:04 PM »
Would that be the fine short rifle you posted a pic. of  Grizzly Adams ? That one is a beauty ! ,,,DT

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 05:15:42 PM »
Would that be the fine short rifle you posted a pic. of  Grizzly Adams ? That one is a beauty ! ,,,DT

That would be the one, Amigo, ;)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:35:38 AM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 06:05:08 PM »
Dusty, sorry to pick on you but that's what cowboys do, this is one like my only 1876, a Chaparral NWMP .45-60. A nice rifle but it had toggle link issues when I got it. My buddy and I eventually got the headspace right. The rt toggle link was too long out of spec which caused the headspace to be too small. The left toggle was fine. Guess Uberti just builds them, don't check them? I mean how hard is it to drop a couple of dummies in the gun the check things out. I'm still on hold on my Spanish Contract Carbine, it's been too hot to play outside here.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 06:16:03 PM »
No worries mate ! Was doing a bit of picking myself . It's been more than Hot around here too. My shop has turned into a (sweat shop ) ! Am sure there is some cool weather down the road.,,,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 07:37:36 AM »
Every once in a while during the day's filled with demolition / getting construction bid's/ dealing with adjusters , and looter's ! I stop and think about better times to come. Should be able to get away for a few days and head out to the country and check on the old place where nothing more exciting than a coyote in the barn or a coon in the garbage a big buck standing stout with his just out of velvet rack staring at you almost defiantly. Thats my Happy place  !  Where things are still normal .Hope Y'all have a good day .,,,,DT

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 06:28:09 PM »
Hope your days continue to improve Mr. Dusty.  It seems hard times have visited lots of good folks this year.  Got you and the good folks of Texas in prayers.  Keep at it and make a little time to burn some powder!!

Pinto Beans

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 06:39:28 PM »
I'm very much afraid that those folks in Texas, Florida and all those little Caribbean island are not going to be in a happy place for a long time.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2017, 06:19:33 AM »
One thing i see in the forecast is that i get to shoot my big 50 cal . 76 today just for the fun of it ." Gotta" have a bit of fun in life ! ,,,DT

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2017, 05:50:38 PM »
Good on ya' Dusty, you deserve a little time to make smoke!

While it's not a '76, I'll be making some smoke at the TSRA regional tomorrow.  They send me out on the stage first to fog the mosquitos!  ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2017, 06:42:59 PM »
Blackpowder Burn . it was a kind of stress relief , poping off a few . 10/4 on the Skeeter fog ! Works on some non BP shooters also  ,,,DT

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2017, 10:02:46 PM »
Dang, between the "skeeters" and the "love bugs" not even BP fazed them!  I've never seen such an infestation as we have this year.  All we had to do for lunch was to suck in a deep breath and chew!   :o Guess it's all due to all the water remaining from ole Harvey.

On a lighter note, I did shoot a clean match at the TSRA regional.  And it was still and humid enough to make lots of good smoke!  ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2017, 09:00:22 AM »
S/E Texas (Gotta be tuff to live by the gulf! )Good Shooting   ,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 07:47:50 AM »
I know a crow gotta make a living too . But , when one lights on the yard gate post a couple hundred yds. away and my 45/75 1876 just happens to be leaning up against the porch rail . Well that's just asking for it ! Drew a tight bead , steadied myself and give him a barrel full. Wood flying crow squawking smoke drifting and he is on his way . Bet he knows that setting on that post aint Cool !  ,,,DT

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 09:06:35 AM »
Now that's funny I don't care who you are!!!!  Thanks for sharing that one!!   :D

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2017, 10:37:28 AM »
I would have liked to have seen that!

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2017, 11:49:35 AM »
Talking about a crow on a post. In 1973 on a cross country road trip I met a self taught gunsmith named Dale Freisen in Swift Current, Saskatchewan, he told me his crow story. In his youth he was wandering the rolling hills around Swift Current with a group of his friends. They were all armed with their trusty .22 rifles when they came across a crow perched on a fence post. They decided to 'execute' said crow by firing squad. They formed a line and performed the obligatory ready-aim-fire. As the sound of the ragged volley drifted away the crow flew away unscathed. However the cow on the other hill was not so lucky and staggered a bit and fell over. Dale had bought one sixth of a cow and had to work the summer to pay off his share. A simpler time, no police were called, the boys paid for their error in judgement. End of story.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2017, 05:38:24 AM »
People are still  that away is some places. Do what's right without having to involve the authorities . Kind of like its how you act when nobody is watching , that counts. Have the 40/60 out thumbing the hammer jest waiting for that smart mouth crow !,,,DT

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2017, 08:26:09 AM »
I know a crow gotta make a living too . But , when one lights on the yard gate post a couple hundred yds. away and my 45/75 1876 just happens to be leaning up against the porch rail . Well that's just asking for it ! Drew a tight bead , steadied myself and give him a barrel full. Wood flying crow squawking smoke drifting and he is on his way . Bet he knows that setting on that post aint Cool !  ,,,DT

Post, what post? ::) Probably not as much post left after that....

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2017, 09:53:59 AM »
I smacked a crow with my Browning 1886 SRC 45/70 sitting on a top tree limb once. It just went poof, a few feathers floating around to the ground. Never seen the like. The only thing I ever killed with my 86,  >:( stupid Illinois laws.
King Medallion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com