Author Topic: Shooting the Breeze !  (Read 19906 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Shooting the Breeze !
« on: August 01, 2017, 09:27:39 AM »
Just shooting the Breeze !  What is your favorite shooting iron ? Being lucky enough to have quite a few 1876 Winchester rifles  ,  have to say my first one to get is still my favorite 76 a Bone stock ! 28" Oct. barrel  Std. rifle 45/75 wcf . Extra  + wood  with a great bore and a Mid Range Winchester tang sight,  its a shooter.   What is yours ? ,,,DT

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
Re: Shooting the Breeze !
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 03:40:04 PM »
 Dusty o'l son ,,you know ,,mine is a 76',,, 40/60 chaparral ,,26 in. ( shoot'n the breeze,,is that when you miss the target?)(lol-lol),

THANK YOU ,,this place has been sloooow.

smoke'm if y'a got'm,,,Hootmix.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 06:30:32 PM »
Slamfire    Slow is right  , My old 40/60 76 has been carried around more than any other . It is my  favorite shooter , and is the ( end all ) for Deer /Hogs / Varmints of any kind . Finding accurate  load's for it has been very easy .  The 255 gr. bullet from a Win.  40/82 mould  @.406 is the best so far  It aint picky  ! ,,,DT

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:15:23 AM »

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 07:39:17 PM »
Greetings All,

Mr. Dusty, my "retirement rifle", a Uberti 76 replica in 45-75 is my favorite.  Many reasons, but two most important is my wonderful Wife got it for me as a retirement gift and second it is the spitting image of an original 1876  Winchester in 45-75 I was able to handle many years ago - but that original was WAY out of my budget!  Puttin a finger on why these rifles are so pleasing is difficult at best, but just the looks and handling of the rifles is at the heart of it all.  That they plain shoot true helps things out too!  Late last year I got chance to start working part time at a very nice gun shop - a bucket list thing for me - and we recently got a trade in original 1876 in 45-60.  Very clean rifle with documents from Winchester dating it to 1887.  Yep, like that first one I looked at - out of my price range but it was great getting to handle the old rifle!  Still, I enjoy the Uberti replica more than any other rifle I have and that is saying something!

Keep ya powder dry.

P.B.

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »
It would be my Chappy 45/60 with a 28" barrel, Globe front sight and Marble Tang sight.  I have had a lot of fun creating loads for it. 

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 09:49:19 PM »
I've struggled with explaining it, even to myself,  but shooting my Uberti NWMP carbine in 45-75 is just fun and satisfying. Like others, a good original costs more than I can justify,  so I'm glad to have this Uberti.  At least for the past 6 months or so,  this is my favorite long gun.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 10:22:54 PM »
Just shooting the Breeze !  What is your favorite shooting iron ? Being lucky enough to have quite a few 1876 Winchester rifles  ,  have to say my first one to get is still my favorite 76 a Bone stock ! 28" Oct. barrel  Std. rifle 45/75 wcf . Extra  + wood  with a great bore and a Mid Range Winchester tang sight,  its a shooter.   What is yours ? ,,,DT

DT
Been follerin your 76 project along - thats been some fun and each time I read I wonder does this guy realise how lucky he has been - well deserved I'm sure - I missed two bargains on originals over my life - we see plenty of 1873 and 1892's down under but a 76 ... very rare here - first one was a throwout ..  1969.. city kids come home to mobilise the money from "the old mans" estate and in their haste to clean house so they can sell the farm they dumped a good 1876 rifle and all the accessories at the local landfill - I used to haunt the local gunshop late afternoons after work and that day my friend behind the counter - when I walked in he just wiggled one of those loaded 45/75 rounds under my nose - when I got to the tip it was already sold on - thirty years later I saw an add in a gunmag - a new feller starting out in business had a 76 on his shelf for $765 - I read it - dismissed it - the price had to be a misprint! two weeks later I called him just in case it was real ---- sold it yesterday - checked the price - yeah that was right! #@$&* what an idiot I am!!! - When I heard of the Uberti repro I just had to have one - so I finally got my 1876 winchester - 45/75 - ok its a copy - but a real nice copy and it gets shot! Doin it again I would look for a shorter barrel - the 28inch looks great but at 69 and small build that ten pound (11 pounds loaded) gun is heavy offhand. Only shooting blackpowder and lead like its meant for. Just somethin about that 45/75 case that gets me --- anyway I enjoyed your stuff and agree 100% with your pick  

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 08:24:15 AM »
You fellows are right . Handle a 1876 for a while and you'll fall for it . It's just something about them ! ,,,DT

Offline larryo1

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 08:39:40 AM »
G'mornin:
Couldn't help but to stick my nose in here.  Yep! I got me a '76 and it is a Uberti but with the large chamber which I like by the way as it gives more powder room.  Right am using 76 grains of Swiss1½ and am happy!  Am using lead bullets of my own alloy (16:1) and my rifle likes them.  I wold have kept to the original chambering but like what I got.  I know that is not original or is the front sight that I put on but being 79 years old and not too good with my eyes that bright reddish/orange front sight helps.  for what it is worth, I also have 3 '86 Winchesters and one '92 so am pretty well gunned up but when I take them out--the first one grabbed is that '76 as it is something to look at and fondle. I did refinish the wood as that plastic crap just didn't take to my fancy and am now happy with my oil finish that is on the rifle now.  When I first got the rifle it took a bit of fussing to get things right but all turned out okay. 

So there is my "for what its worth" bit for the day.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 03:50:31 PM »
Chaparral 26" oct. barrel 45/60 , its a Great rifle . Have started shooting it often . Only thing I have done to it is back off the Main spring tension screw.  This Chaparral will shoot as good as you can hold it . Have been shooting Bp. loads in it . About to try some of SR 's 3031 loads in it .   Would not trade it for nothing ! ,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 12:50:55 AM »
Chaparral 26" oct. barrel 45/60 , its a Great rifle . Have started shooting it often . Only thing I have done to it is back off the Main spring tension screw.  This Chaparral will shoot as good as you can hold it . Have been shooting Bp. loads in it . About to try some of SR 's 3031 loads in it .   Would not trade it for nothing ! ,,,DT

DT
Yeah that mainspring screw in the Uberti too - out of the box trigger was awful  (I am used to nice light triggers from my set trigger muzzleloaders made it worse) anyway I took the lever latch spring out, backed the main right off - got it nice - fired about twenty rounds - hammer goes all floppy - thought I broke that main! what happened was the spring worked itself forward and slipped outta the little recess that keeps it - with enough tension on the angles change and it stays put but = heavy trigger! -- I did not want to grind (waspwaist) the mainspring ---ended up using a diamond burr on the dremel and just making a little curve recess crossways in the top of that spring retainer slot - its worked so far and the trigger is nice and light - if that lets go - plan B is just a tiny spot of weld on the end of the spring to catch in my little groove. I am happy with the BP loads, 68 grains of FF gives me 1460FPS  with a 335 grain modified LEE - cleaning is easy and fun - I doubt I will ever shoot smokeless in it - cant see an advantage worth the fussing round really. Made my brass from 348 win stock .   

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 01:12:26 AM »
G'mornin:
Couldn't help but to stick my nose in here.  Yep! I got me a '76 and it is a Uberti but with the large chamber which I like by the way as it gives more powder room.  Right am using 76 grains of Swiss1½ and am happy!  Am using lead bullets of my own alloy (16:1) and my rifle likes them.  I wold have kept to the original chambering but like what I got.  I know that is not original or is the front sight that I put on but being 79 years old and not too good with my eyes that bright reddish/orange front sight helps.  for what it is worth, I also have 3 '86 Winchesters and one '92 so am pretty well gunned up but when I take them out--the first one grabbed is that '76 as it is something to look at and fondle. I did refinish the wood as that plastic crap just didn't take to my fancy and am now happy with my oil finish that is on the rifle now.  When I first got the rifle it took a bit of fussing to get things right but all turned out okay. 

So there is my "for what its worth" bit for the day.

LarryO
I read about the Uberti chamber here ages ago - hoped my rifle had it when it came - no luck! ---76 grains of Swiss! -  that would be really humming!
In the end I was pleased I got the original chamber - I can shoot the 405 grain HB LEE in it (just - the bottom of the boolit intrudes into the case body a touch but the bottom lube groove is still in the neck - your shorter neck case would limit you to 350 grain and lighter boolits) - I modified that LEE mold - shaved some off the top to make a proper flat nose meplat and took the tit off the base plug so its a flat base - fluked it to 405 grains weight - my rifle seems to like that boolit at least as well as the lighter one. Have made another modifid LEE that casts 335 grains and if I compress heavy I can get 1500fps (70 grains) usually back off a bit and load 65 or 68 grains or the heavy boolit (405 grainer) gets 62 grains under it - - there a lot of nice guns out there but a 76 just looks ........elegant.... is a good word I think.       

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 07:35:29 AM »
DT
Yeah that mainspring screw in the Uberti too - out of the box trigger was awful  (I am used to nice light triggers from my set trigger muzzleloaders made it worse) anyway I took the lever latch spring out, backed the main right off - got it nice - fired about twenty rounds - hammer goes all floppy - thought I broke that main! what happened was the spring worked itself forward and slipped outta the little recess that keeps it - with enough tension on the angles change and it stays put but = heavy trigger! -- I did not want to grind (waspwaist) the mainspring ---ended up using a diamond burr on the dremel and just making a little curve recess crossways in the top of that spring retainer slot - its worked so far and the trigger is nice and light - if that lets go - plan B is just a tiny spot of weld on the end of the spring to catch in my little groove. I am happy with the BP loads, 68 grains of FF gives me 1460FPS  with a 335 grain modified LEE - cleaning is easy and fun - I doubt I will ever shoot smokeless in it - cant see an advantage worth the fussing round really. Made my brass from 348 win stock .   
    In my opinion tuning the Manspring / Hammer spring and trigger block spring , help a 76 for shooting more accurate . Had one spring for the carbine build that was just a tad to light , when adjusted to my likeing , would not stay in place . Heated the bottom section that meets the bottom tang catch , put a small dogleg / bend in it and then could get it set light and it would not work it's way out. I noticed the Chaparral had that small bend in the Mainspring shank when I tuned it. But I purchased the rifle used , but looks to be untouched before I went into it . ...DT

Offline larryo1

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 08:07:50 AM »
Greyhawk:
Thanks for the note.  That load that I use does thump your shoulder but it is fun and does have a pretty good "BANG" when touched off but so far, I can do pretty good at 100 yards but don't even think I would try for any longer yardage.  I have enough trouble at 100yards with my eyesight they way that it is.  At least, when I test(play around) at 25 yards, at least I can see the target! Like I said, when folks want to look at what I have, they almost always grab my '76 and cluck over it.  They are quite a rifle and am glad I did break down and get mine here a few years back.  Was not too bad out of the box but with my finageling and whatnot, it is alot better now than then. Had an old uncle of mine several years ago tell me  that he had had a '76 in 45-60 but figgured that he could not get any ammo for it anymore and got rid of it.  I about llost it right there because then we were making 45-60 brss out of 45-70 brass.  Oh well-guess it warnt in the cards for me to get my claws on that original '76.  That rifle would have had alot of family history with it so about all I could do was cry alot!  At least now I do have a '76 even tho it is just a  copy but it is my copy.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 08:23:03 AM »
Good Morning to Y'a Larryo1 , Same thing here , when the Grandboys get to looking at  my guns , and thats every time they come around , they go for the 76's . The other day my oldest Grandson said   Opaw ( I like the sound they make Clink and Clank ) . I kinda do too ! ,,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 08:27:14 AM »
    In my opinion tuning the Manspring / Hammer spring and trigger block spring , help a 76 for shooting more accurate . Had one spring for the carbine build that was just a tad to light , when adjusted to my likeing , would not stay in place . Heated the bottom section that meets the bottom tang catch , put a small dogleg / bend in it and then could get it set light and it would not work it's way out. I noticed the Chaparral had that small bend in the Mainspring shank when I tuned it. But I purchased the rifle used , but looks to be untouched before I went into it . ...DT

Hmmm --- almost same problem -- slightly different fix - mine is ok if I keep too much tension on the mainspring - but if I lighten it off to get the trigger decent then it worked forward - I think the little groove I put in the tang latch has fixed it -
Have you got proper brass? I brought 150 x 348 cases back from midways when I was over there in 2013 - way before I bought the rifle - had a 71 so it was legal - and couldnt locate proper stuff at the time - Jamison were full on making for the military was the story - never saw a single round of 22 ammo on that trip! but you could buy it anywhere you liked back here (Aussieland) weird that was!
Well thanks for the replys n I'llkeep watchin. G  

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 08:40:42 AM »
G , have been using Jammison brass in all four 40/60   45/60   45/75   50/95 good results so far . Only shoot Bp. and clean with soap and water.  Think the .22 and other  ammo scarcity problem  was a man made problem by the powers that be . ,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 09:37:07 AM »
Shooting the parts build gun this wk. Tried three powders and the same bullet /primer/case /lube , only changing the powder.  Bullet was the Lee 457-340 F cast  from soft lead pipe scrap lube was SPG sticky in the August Texas Heat ! . First powder  was the Swiss ff , three shot groups bullets almost touch at 50 yd  and under 3" at 75yd.  The Schuetzen ff gave the same results with a bit less crack and recoil , but on paper looked the same.  The third load was 33gr. of IMR3031   ( SHAME ON ME  ) with two holes touching and one 1-1/2" 2 oclock . About the same recoil as the Swiss powder , pretty stout load. Those loads shot the best in the little parts gun. I tried a few others that did poor to very poor. That is the great part about loading at the bench . It does not take many shots to find out if the gun likes the load or not !  ,,,DT

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 10:30:18 AM »
While my favorite CAS rifle is my trusty 1894 Cowboy Ii .45 lc I don't hardly ever shoot it except for matches. It's that reliable and dead on. You said "favorite shooting iron", so I've got to say it's my AR/MP5 sbr .45 acp that I built last year. It's a dedicated greasegun magazine lower with a DPMS upper, 9 inch .45 bbl and a bunch of HK parts fitted together. Runs great and a lot of fun.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 11:31:38 AM »
That'll teach me to be more specific  LOL .  I took a wrong turn a while back , ended up downtown Houston . Think I saw one like that thar Black Gun ! ,,,DT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com